Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Osaka (Left Hyatt 30 June 2023) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Osaka (Left Hyatt 30 June 2023) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by lululee
even the staff don't look as happy as they used to.
One of the staff said that they were hearing different things everyday, so it is not surprising that all the uncertainty is taking a toll on morale. That, and the fact that dozens of staff have gotten the ax, with Tenkuh, B1, and the bar completely closed and Basilico, the Japanese restaurant, and room service all reduced to half or less. Plus, with the emphasis on budget tour groups, they no need a lot fewer front desk and bell staff.

We have escaped the crowding at breakfast because we don't go until after 10 am, but it seemed like mostly new staff (meaning lower cost part-timers).

In passing, we noticed that they listed the price of the buffet breakfast at ¥3000 PLUS tax & service, fora total of ¥3564, which I believe is ¥100 MORE than HR Kyoto for much less than half the quality. A realistic price for the breakfast as it is now at HR Osaka would be ¥1000 to ¥1500!
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I'm wondering whether there's any updates from anyone who has stayed here recently? I'm considering between HR Osaka and Hilton Osaka for my December trip. I guess Hilton does have a better location over Hyatt, but the price difference for Hilton does make me consider whether that is worth it.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I don't think that they would suddenly decide to stop cost cutting and strive to be rebranded the Park Hyatt Osaka...
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Osaka REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD

No, but despite the changes (not all of them were negative) it still was a decent, but nothing spectacular, property.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by gummibar
I'm wondering whether there's any updates from anyone who has stayed here recently? I'm considering between HR Osaka and Hilton Osaka for my December trip. I guess Hilton does have a better location over Hyatt, but the price difference for Hilton does make me consider whether that is worth it.
Stayed a couple of weeks ago. Everything pretty much the same as what I wrote in June, except that they did have bath soap in the room this time. Evening service is pleasant, but not luxurious. Breakfast we find rather blah (ketchup was better this time, maybe just a bad mix last time). Rooms are larger than at the Hilton, but be sure you're aware of the location.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you for all the feedback. I understand that the location of HR Osaka is not ideal..but I have had a friend who stayed here two christmas ago and he mentioned to me that the transportation to town is not that bad. However, I have seen numerous reports on TripAdvisor saying that the location is terrible.

Sigh...i'm torn between HR Osaka or Hilton Osaka.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by gummibar
Thank you for all the feedback. I understand that the location of HR Osaka is not ideal..but I have had a friend who stayed here two christmas ago and he mentioned to me that the transportation to town is not that bad. However, I have seen numerous reports on TripAdvisor saying that the location is terrible.

Sigh...i'm torn between HR Osaka or Hilton Osaka.
It depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to leave the hotel everyday after breakfast and go touring, returning in the early evening, than transportation is not that much of a problem. The bus to Osaka station is every 30 minutes and the bus to Cosmo Square subway station is every 15 minutes. But if you want late night entertainment in downtown Osaka, the location really is terrible; if you miss the last bus, the subway takes quite a bit of time, and if you miss the last train, taxi would be very expensive.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 5:46 am

Programs: Hyatt_DIA, ANA_DIA
Corporate rate at Hiltion Osaka is in a range of $110-130 while it may be below $100 at Hyatt Regency. Location is no match. Hilton is just far better. Both properties are a bit old but Hyatt appears slightly better maintained. Hyatt has a large spa for free (for Diamond) while there is no such facility at Hilton. As OsakaWino stated, it all depend on your travel preference.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriot Gold
Here are some thoughts regarding my 4-night stay at the Hyatt Regency Osaka. Overall, as a Diamond (as well as lifetime SPG Plat) I was satisfied with the property and would consider returning - some of my comments may appear as complaints but really are just observations unless otherwise noted.

Location - lots of talk in previous comments about the location being poor. Actually wasn't much of a factor for us - we were up early and spent our days running around Osaka, coming back to the hotel just in time to enjoy the last hour of happy hour or so. The bus to the JR station is punctual. Effective November 1, 2014 the hotel is discontinuing the shuttles to Cosmosquare station which is walkable unless the weather is bad. The Nakafuto station is even closer, although we used either the JR station shuttle or Cosmosquare to get around.

Check-in - awkward to say the least. When busy, the front desk staff seem quite 'overwhelmed' by the absence of stanchions and have difficulty figuring out who is next. Eventually, once they realized I was a Diamond they shuttled me over to the Regency Club desk for check-in. Check-in was a long process, not sure why....

Diamond benefits - was upgraded to the Regency Club floor (26) - the room wasn't anything exceptional although the bathroom was nice and I enjoyed the view of the harbor - watching the Beppu ferry and other shipping traffic. The room was a little worn - I had no issue with the bed but my partner thought otherwise.

As discussed in previous comments, there is a club room on the 26th floor which has the coffee machine and tea as well as some cookies. Contrary to a previous post, there are absolutely no other beverages (including bottled water) available anywhere in the room (we opened every cupboard available). The room was unlocked earlier than posted (they say 0700 but it was available to grab a coffee before 0600 every day).

The complimentary breakfast buffet is adequate. It can be quite crowded, with some of the various groups staying at the property quite ravenous in their appetites and proclivity to push their way to grab as much free food as possible. Of note, there is really no fresh fruit - the fruit selection is pretty much out of a can. The Japanese breakfast selections are fine although (this is picky) they do not provide the right bowls/plates etc. Also the buffet selections did not change from day to day - exact same menu. One complaint, upon being seated you will be asked if you want coffee or tea, and will never be served said coffee/tea unless you track down one of the harried staff. This happened 4 days in a row. Trying to get a refill on coffee/tea takes some effort. They clearly need another staff member or two to handle the business.

The happy hour, in the downstairs lounge off the lobby, was better than expected based on some of the previous comments. Each night there were two types of dimsum, a cheese plate with bread and wafers, a sashimi plate (two of the nights it was an excellent tuna - one night a strange herring-style), olives, some sort of cold cut salami/ham/prosciutto, and some sweets. The bar is self-pour, including a decent sake and I overheard other guests commenting the wines were good.

Overall, I found my stay here to be perfectly acceptable, although my expectations were not sky high (having previously spent 2 nights at the Osaka St. Regis I knew to temper my expectations).
Old Oct 30, 2014, 7:05 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
basenji, thanks for your review. Your comments reflect my experience as well.

Originally Posted by basenji
Effective November 1, 2014 the hotel is discontinuing the shuttles to Cosmosquare station which is walkable unless the weather is bad.
What?! I used it all the time... Though seeing as how I was often the only passenger it doesn't surprise me in the least. It would be nice if they increased the frequency of the Osaka Station shuttle from the current half-hourly schedule.

[quote]Check-in - awkward to say the least. When busy, the front desk staff seem quite 'overwhelmed' by the absence of stanchions and have difficulty figuring out who is next. Eventually, once they realized I was a Diamond they shuttled me over to the Regency Club desk for check-in. Check-in was a long process, not sure why....

Diamond benefits - was upgraded to the Regency Club floor (26) - the room wasn't anything exceptional although the bathroom was nice and I enjoyed the view of the harbor - watching the Beppu ferry and other shipping traffic. The room was a little worn - I had no issue with the bed but my partner thought otherwise.

As discussed in previous comments, there is a club room on the 26th floor which has the coffee machine and tea as well as some cookies. Contrary to a previous post, there are absolutely no other beverages (including bottled water) available anywhere in the room (we opened every cupboard available). The room was unlocked earlier than posted (they say 0700 but it was available to grab a coffee before 0600 every day).

The complimentary breakfast buffet is adequate. It can be quite crowded, with some of the various groups staying at the property quite ravenous in their appetites and proclivity to push their way to grab as much free food as possible. Of note, there is really no fresh fruit - the fruit selection is pretty much out of a can. The Japanese breakfast selections are fine although (this is picky) they do not provide the right bowls/plates etc. Also the buffet selections did not change from day to day - exact same menu. One complaint, upon being seated you will be asked if you want coffee or tea, and will never be served said coffee/tea unless you track down one of the harried staff. This happened 4 days in a row. Trying to get a refill on coffee/tea takes some effort. They clearly need another staff member or two to handle the business.
Yes, my biggest issue with this property is the poor standard of the breakfast. I know that the property makes much of their money from package tour groups from Asia, but The Cafe is simply too small to comfortably hold everyone, and they need more staff. (A simple solution to the coffee problem would be to put a carafe at each table, which I suggested several months ago...)

Given the rising occupancies and rates of hotels in Osaka, the city really needs a centrally-located Grand Hyatt-level hotel, in my opinion. While a decent property, the HR is just too inconveniently located for me to use on a regular basis despite being in Osaka weekly.
Old Nov 2, 2014, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by basenji
Here are some thoughts regarding my 4-night stay at the Hyatt Regency Osaka. Overall, as a Diamond (as well as lifetime SPG Plat) I was satisfied with the property and would consider returning - some of my comments may appear as complaints but really are just observations unless otherwise noted.

Location - lots of talk in previous comments about the location being poor. Actually wasn't much of a factor for us - we were up early and spent our days running around Osaka, coming back to the hotel just in time to enjoy the last hour of happy hour or so. The bus to the JR station is punctual. Effective November 1, 2014 the hotel is discontinuing the shuttles to Cosmosquare station which is walkable unless the weather is bad. The Nakafuto station is even closer, although we used either the JR station shuttle or Cosmosquare to get around.

Check-in - awkward to say the least. When busy, the front desk staff seem quite 'overwhelmed' by the absence of stanchions and have difficulty figuring out who is next. Eventually, once they realized I was a Diamond they shuttled me over to the Regency Club desk for check-in. Check-in was a long process, not sure why....

The happy hour, in the downstairs lounge off the lobby, was better than expected based on some of the previous comments. Each night there were two types of dimsum, a cheese plate with bread and wafers, a sashimi plate (two of the nights it was an excellent tuna - one night a strange herring-style), olives, some sort of cold cut salami/ham/prosciutto, and some sweets. The bar is self-pour, including a decent sake and I overheard other guests commenting the wines were good.

Overall, I found my stay here to be perfectly acceptable, although my expectations were not sky high (having previously spent 2 nights at the Osaka St. Regis I knew to temper my expectations).
A very nice, well-balanced review.

I was surprised to hear that they are discontinuing the shuttle to Cosmo Square Station. The website says that they will now reimburse one-way taxi fare from Cosmo Square Station; ask for a receipt and present it at check-in. For those taking the tram rather than the subway, while Nakufuto Station is definitely closer, if it is raining it is possible to walk under cover from Trade Center-mae Station via the WTC/Prefectural Gov Bldg.

The rooms definitely need refurbishment, new carpets and drapes at the very least. We hate the bed mattresses , but we like very firm mattresses.

They haven’t had any cold drinks in the 26F lounge for quite some time now, but even when they did, it was only Coke and something like Sprite, plus a pitcher of ice water and a pitcher of ice coffee, never any bottled water. I’m not sure how long the coffee machine will last. It was having problems with the milk circuit for cappuccino/latte on both of our last 2 stays in Sep and Oct. They said they had had it serviced twice. If the machine is dying, I doubt they will replace it. On the bright side, the service in the lobby lounge is friendly (although sometimes painfully slow) and the drink selection is better than what was ever offered in the 26F lounge.

The breakfast is really substandard for a Hyatt Regency. Rather like a Prince Hotel or one of the other lower-range Japanese chains. I can’t believe that they list the price at almost ¥3564 (including T&S); difficult to believe that anyone would pay that, but of course all those tour groups have breakfast included. As you say, the fresh fruit selection is poor; usually pineapple, which on this last stay there was orange slices and some very cheap grapes. There are also usually some whole apples, oranges, and/or bananas. The ultra-pasteurized long-life orange juice is just terrible; the only way I can drink it is to mix it with the yogurt drink.

I will have to check out the sake on our next stay. All the times we’ve been there I’ve never noticed it. I really think I would have seen it when the lounge was on 26F, so maybe they started offering it when they moved to the lobby, since there is now much more bar space.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:49 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
OsakaWino, I'm curious -- assuming you book a standard queen or twin, do you ever receive an upgrade to anything but a similar base room on the club floor? I've stayed close to a dozen times this year, both on weekdays and weekends, booking either a standard queen or twin, and have never gotten anything but an upgrade to a Club King or Club Twin. I've never received a Deluxe room, much less a suite, so I was curious to hear about another frequent customer's experience.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by armagebedar
OsakaWino, I'm curious -- assuming you book a standard queen or twin, do you ever receive an upgrade to anything but a similar base room on the club floor? I've stayed close to a dozen times this year, both on weekdays and weekends, booking either a standard queen or twin, and have never gotten anything but an upgrade to a Club King or Club Twin. I've never received a Deluxe room, much less a suite, so I was curious to hear about another frequent customer's experience.
By never "received a Deluxe Room", I imagine that you're referring to the 80m2 "Club Deluxe Room", which the hotel classifies as a junior suite, rather than an upgrade from a 30m2 Standard Room to a 40m2 Deluxe Room?

We've been staying here about 8 times (all 1-night) a year, mostly on a wellness plan that includes oil massages for 2 persons, for about 4 years now, and only occasionally before that. I'm been Diamond for only 2 and a half years, so before that it was as a Plat. As a Plat, we were almost always upgraded from a 30m2 Standard Room to a 40m2 Deluxe Room, but never to an RC Room. In about 20 stays as a Diamond, we have been upgraded to the 80m2 "Club Deluxe Room" twice, have no idea why. We usually just get upgraded to a 40m2 Deluxe Room, mostly not on the club floor, because I ask for a room close to the corner to try and get something quite. The room itself is exactly the same, but I think they are still stocking the minibar fridge on the club floor.

We've also used DSUs 3 times here, just to avoid wasting them, and twice we were upgraded from the 90m2 Regency Suite to the 120m2 Diplomat Suite.

So although the 80m2 Club Deluxe Room is called a room, since they classify it as a junior suite, they don't have to upgrade Diamonds to it, and since I have gotten it so few times (and have never been comped a suite), they don't seem as generous to frequent guests as what I've heard some properties to be.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
We've also used DSUs 3 times here, just to avoid wasting them, and twice we were upgraded from the 90m2 Regency Suite to the 120m2 Diplomat Suite.

So although the 80m2 Club Deluxe Room is called a room, since they classify it as a junior suite, they don't have to upgrade Diamonds to it, and since I have gotten it so few times (and have never been comped a suite), they don't seem as generous to frequent guests as what I've heard some properties to be.
Hi OsakaWino,

Do you know whether the DSUs can be applied to an 80sqm Club Deluxe Room, or must it be to the 90sqm Regency Suite?

I tried to use a DSU for an upcoming 4-night stay in December but no suites are available (club deluxe rooms are though).

Interestingly the hotel is currently sold out on the night of December 22 (as is the Hilton Osaka). Is there a special event going on in Osaka before Christmas? Am a bit perplexed why hotel prices that week seem to be higher than in Kyoto.

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fallinasleep
Hi OsakaWino,

Interestingly the hotel is currently sold out on the night of December 22 (as is the Hilton Osaka). Is there a special event going on in Osaka before Christmas? Am a bit perplexed why hotel prices that week seem to be higher than in Kyoto.

Thanks!

December 23 is the Emperor's birthday...a public holiday...Maybe that's why the hotels are fully booked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.