Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Goosh
Am going to Tokyo next October for brother's wedding and would like to stay in a suite at the Park Hyatt Tokyo if possible, but stay at the hotel in a standard room at the very least. Would like to manage this with as little spending as possible. Currently have no status with Hyatt and only about 40,000 GP points. Also have about 150,000 points with Chase Ultimate Rewards which transfer to Hyatt. Am willing to apply for the Chase Hyatt Visa. Am willing to go to the One World MegaDo assuming they give out Hyatt Diamond status (does not guarantee suite upgrade) again. Am willing to mattress run. Would like to stay for 5 nights at a minimum, but probably no more than 7 nights. What would be my best strategy? My options seem to be the following so far:

1) Book award stays using points from both current hyatt and transferring from UR, but would not be able to get a guaranteed suite upgrade. (cheapest option)

2) Book regular stay and get guaranteed suite upgrade from Hyatt Visa (assuming I mattress run and get to Plat level before applying for card). (seems like a pretty expensive option, but at least I'd have a suite)

Any suggestions would be greatly apppreciated.
If you combine your UR with your current GPP points, that should give you enough points for 5 nights in a Cat 6 suite at 33,000/night. You could earn additional UR points before your stay for more nights.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Am willing to go to the One World MegaDo assuming they give out Hyatt Diamond status (does not guarantee suite upgrade) again. Am willing to mattress run.
FYI. To get Diamond status from OWMD, you'll have to have 18 stays within 90 days..

Regular booking opens tomorrow at 10am central.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: their are many of them

No why would i want to go out of my way and do 18 stays at hyatt JUST for the mega DO

sounds like a ripoff and hyatt taking you to the cleaners. No thanks I will pass on the hyatt program and possibly staying at hyattat the DO.

how is this given by the DO and how is this a great deal??
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:51 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by DealDetective
If you combine your UR with your current GPP points, that should give you enough points for 5 nights in a Cat 6 suite at 33,000/night. You could earn additional UR points before your stay for more nights.
Thanks. Did not know you could book a suite with points.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
FYI. To get Diamond status from OWMD, you'll have to have 18 stays within 90 days..

Regular booking opens tomorrow at 10am central.
So the OWMD is going to be different from the StarMD? I thought Hyatt gave away instant Diamond Status at the StarMD and assumed they'd do the same at OWMD. No?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 6:58 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

So the OWMD is going to be different from the StarMD? I thought Hyatt gave away instant Diamond Status at the StarMD and assumed they'd do the same at OWMD. No?
Yes they did at the StarMD but the properties did not handle having 160+ Diamonds in house at the same time from the same group very well so they've probably reconsidered on how to handle the OWMD.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:47 pm

I'm having trouble checking award availability without having any Hyatt points in my account. I want to make sure there are rooms open before I transfer from Chase Ultimate Rewards.

Could someone check and see if the Hyatt Regency Osaka has a standard room open Jan 7th - 8th (one night, one room, 2 adults)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You can check it yourself. If the hotel is showing a standard room available for money, then it's available as an award. You can also call customer service/reservations to check.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
Dilemma!

I am posting this in the Hyatt forum due to its flame free promise.

First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone before hand for any contributions to assist me.

I currently have status with GC and IHG and would like to get either SPG or Hyatt before this year ends.

Upcoming Stays. 5 nights in Kuala Lumpur, 13 nights in China - Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai and Guangzhou ( The 5 nights in KL and 13 nights in China) both fall within the 60 days period from now and next year in March, approx 10 nights in NYC and approx 10 nights in Europe, Frankfurt, London and Paris.

I wish to have status hoping for nice upgrades for my trips to NYC and Europe.

My considerations,

Hyatt - Pros: Concurrently with the status challenge, I get top tier status and 4 suites upgrade certs.

Cons: No properties in KL & Chengdu. I know I won't retain diamond with no stays in KL and Chengdu but I'll do a MR to retain it. Another con would be that Hyatt has more expensive rates than SPG in China due to more luxury hotels.

SPG- Pros: Properties in all locations I am visiting thus making Plat. Rates are lower or slightly lower than Hyatt Properties.

Cons- No status while doing challenge! - This is what is stopping me from doing the runs as IHG has properties in all the cities I am visiting too! I will miss out on upgrades, free lounge and free breakfast.

With status earned from the challenge, I would then congregate my stays in US and Europe to the programmes. IHG & (SPG or HGP)

I am asking for fellow flyertalk experts on whether I should go ahead with Hyatt despite maybe the need to do a MR or go with SPG despite no status while do the challenge.

P.S I also understand that the 15 nights requirements within 90 days from SPG will change from 1 Nov onwards.

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:39 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by tycosiao
I am posting this in the Hyatt forum due to its flame free promise.

First and foremost, I would like to thank everyone before hand for any contributions to assist me.

I currently have status with GC and IHG and would like to get either SPG or Hyatt before this year ends.

Upcoming Stays. 5 nights in Kuala Lumpur, 13 nights in China - Beijing, Chengdu, Shanghai and Guangzhou ( The 5 nights in KL and 13 nights in China) both fall within the 60 days period from now and next year in March, approx 10 nights in NYC and approx 10 nights in Europe, Frankfurt, London and Paris.

I wish to have status hoping for nice upgrades for my trips to NYC and Europe.

My considerations,

Hyatt - Pros: Concurrently with the status challenge, I get top tier status and 4 suites upgrade certs.

Cons: No properties in KL & Chengdu. I know I won't retain diamond with no stays in KL and Chengdu but I'll do a MR to retain it. Another con would be that Hyatt has more expensive rates than SPG in China due to more luxury hotels.

SPG- Pros: Properties in all locations I am visiting thus making Plat. Rates are lower or slightly lower than Hyatt Properties.

Cons- No status while doing challenge! - This is what is stopping me from doing the runs as IHG has properties in all the cities I am visiting too! I will miss out on upgrades, free lounge and free breakfast.

With status earned from the challenge, I would then congregate my stays in US and Europe to the programmes. IHG & (SPG or HGP)

I am asking for fellow flyertalk experts on whether I should go ahead with Hyatt despite maybe the need to do a MR or go with SPG despite no status while do the challenge.

P.S I also understand that the 15 nights requirements within 90 days from SPG will change from 1 Nov onwards.

Thanks!
I guess the easiest way to answer this is to further ask what do you value in a Hotel Loyal Program.

If I am correct to assume by your above mentioned post that price and location is important, then I would suggest going with SPG, which offers more properties and has a larger property range (from FS to non-FS) hotels.

In all fairness SPG has more properties than Hyatt, especially in Europe and US.

Those are things you would want to consider, especially for re qualification.

Hyatt is great if the locations they have serve your needs.

Price wise I know SPG is always lower. However, what Hyatt has better than SPG, IMHO, are hotels in better location within Asia. But that is of course very subjective.

YMMV
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:41 am

DHalltheway, Thank you for your suggestion.

After some hours of reading and reading, I have came to a conclusion myself.

First, on stays with status with Hyatt compared to stays without status with SPG.

I have decided to give my business to Hyatt due to the status being given to me during my challenge.

I see the 4 suite upgrade certs, breakfast, lounge and upgrades that outweigh the challenge set forth by SPG.

I have read at http://travel.bart.la/2011/04/12/hya...tch-challenge/ that I will receive another 4 suite upgrade certs after retaining Diamond after the challenge. So gonna stay at Hyatt when I bring my parents to HK during Chinese New Year next year. Is this right?

Secondly,
For a place I travel to that does not have a Hyatt but has a SPG, there's still IHG for me to choose. So not much of big losses here.

Thirdly,
The differences in prices of hyatt and SPG in places that I am going are not substantial and in fact, the Grand Hyatt Beijing is cheaper than Westin or St Regis.

I am hoping that I am making the right choice here. thanks to FT for helping me embark a new journey with Hyatt.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
DHalltheway, Thank you for your suggestion.

After some hours of reading and reading, I have came to a conclusion myself.

First, on stays with status with Hyatt compared to stays without status with SPG.

I have decided to give my business to Hyatt due to the status being given to me during my challenge.

I see the 4 suite upgrade certs, breakfast, lounge and upgrades that outweigh the challenge set forth by SPG.

I have read at http://travel.bart.la/2011/04/12/hya...tch-challenge/ that I will receive another 4 suite upgrade certs after retaining Diamond after the challenge. So gonna stay at Hyatt when I bring my parents to HK during Chinese New Year next year. Is this right?

Secondly,
For a place I travel to that does not have a Hyatt but has a SPG, there's still IHG for me to choose. So not much of big losses here.

Thirdly,
The differences in prices of hyatt and SPG in places that I am going are not substantial and in fact, the Grand Hyatt Beijing is cheaper than Westin or St Regis.

I am hoping that I am making the right choice here. thanks to FT for helping me embark a new journey with Hyatt.
I have never done the challenge so I am not sure if you get the 4 suite upgrades completing the challenge.

You should PM Gold Passport Concierge on that.

I don't regret being a HGP member. =)
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
I have never done the challenge so I am not sure if you get the 4 suite upgrades completing the challenge.

You should PM Gold Passport Concierge on that.

I don't regret being a HGP member. =)
Thank you

Great seeing another happy HGP member here.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 2:58 pm

I don't think you'll receive 4 additional suite upgrade certificates simply for completing the challenge.

When you complete the challenge, your Diamond status should last for the rest of the year plus all of next year. As of March 1st 2012, you should receive an additional 4 suite upgrade certificates. I believe that is where you'll get the extra certificates.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Hopefully Mary2e is reading here today...

I won't be requalifying for Diamond this year, but will be using one of this years confirmed suite upgrades at the GH Kauai next year. I'm curious if I will have RC access (I know I won't as a Platinum next year, but am curious if it comes via staying in a suite). Thx.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.