Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2014, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by peteropny
Either way works - probably better to keep the 2 nights in one name so that only 1 reservation needs to be "handled".
Thank you...we'll just book the nights in pairs so she only has to "handle" one reservation. ^
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:06 am

Either way works - probably better to keep the 2 nights in one name so that only 1 reservation needs to be "handled".
Well, the Diamond line would not add my wife's name to my reservation to extend diamond benefits. Guess I'll have to try this again and maybe have them swap nights around and have each of us use one of our free nights at each property and have her night listed first as she is the diamond member.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:23 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bmrisko
Well, the Diamond line would not add my wife's name to my reservation to extend diamond benefits. Guess I'll have to try this again and maybe have them swap nights around and have each of us use one of our free nights at each property and have her night listed first as she is the diamond member.
Call again or PM our Gold Passport Concierge staff here on Flyertalk for help. You probably got a new agent who didn't know how to do it (your wife's name and Diamond number goes in the comments section). BTW, there isn't really a Diamond line, dialing the Diamond number simply puts you at the head of the queue for the agent pool.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:33 am

Call again or PM our Gold Passport Concierge staff here on Flyertalk for help. You probably got a new agent who didn't know how to do it (your wife's name and Diamond number goes in the comments section). BTW, there isn't really a Diamond line, dialing the Diamond number simply puts you at the head of the queue for the agent pool.
Thanks for the tips and the clarification on the Diamond line.

EDIT: The HGP Concierge staff on here made quick work of the request. Thanks for reminding me that method of contact was available...

Last edited by bmrisko; Apr 11, 2014 at 9:47 am
Old Apr 11, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, HH Gold, SPG LT Gold
hotel category?

How to check which hotel is in which category? searched Hyatt web site, could not find any info leading to that, thanks.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by pm6163
How to check which hotel is in which category? searched Hyatt web site, could not find any info leading to that, thanks.
http://www.goldpassport.com/gp/en/aw...jsp?category=1 then click if you want other categories or locations.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: FB Lifetime Plat
Senior rate: rules ?

You don't even need to go that far - Hyatt's policy is that an occupant in the room needs to be qualified for the rate (senior, government, etc) but does not need to be the one holding the reservation - so you can get the diamond benefits by booking in your name and qualify for the senior rate since your mom will be with you. This was proactively offered to me years ago by CS in a rather complicated booking for 2 rooms with a variety of awards, stay certs, and senior rate (since my partner's mother was occupying one of the rooms).
Sorry to bring this up after some time … but I need some clarification on the Senior rate, because I cannot find anything here/in T&C.

Mr. Orion (diamond) is qualified for the Senior rate.
I, Mrs. Orion (under 62), recently got approved for a Diamond Challenge and has completed 6 nights so far.

I was going to book a stay at a Hyatt in Tokyo under my name, at the Senior rate(thanks to Mr. Orion), and apply one of my DSU certificates. We'll be staying in the same room.
From the rate rules and from what I had read on Flyertalk, I thought it was totally fine to do this.

"Rate Rules: For seniors age 62 and above, must show ID at check-in. Only 1 room per senior citizen Up to 2 rooms under one name at booking However, at check-in one valid ID required per room"

However, when I called the hotel directly to book (I speak Japanese fluently), the hotel reservations agent told me that the person who is making the booking must be 62+, the fact that a senior citizen (62+) is staying in the same room is not enough, and told me that since I was the one holding the reservation, the senior rate cannot be applied.

She quoted me My Elite Rate, but it was still $60/night more than the senior rate (and it makes a difference, when you are staying for 10 nights!)

So I told her to change the booking under Mr. Orion's name, apply Senior rate and his DSU (luckily a suite was available in the DSU inventory).

I'm OK with this (at least we have a confirmed suite upgrade), if that's the rule.
But I'm left me with a bitter feeling, because I was counting on this stay to successfully complete my Diamond challenge.
I have 6 more nights booked, but only after the 60day-trial period.

Can anyone confirm if what the Tokyo agent told me is correct ? (because they tend to do things only "by the book" in Japan)?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:11 am

My understanding is that if an occupant of the room (not necessarily the primary person on the booking) qualifies, then the rate is applicable. My experience was with the former PH LA years ago, when the rate was proactively offered by the reservation agent for a rather complicated booking (2 rooms using a variety of awards and paid nights). You may want to PM our Gold Passport Concierge for clarification and further help.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:22 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

As Peter kindly suggested I would call Gold Passport Reservations to avoid confusion and what appears to be poor communication with the hotel
Agree with Peter in that as long as the party is in the room and most important listed on the reservation with you all should be fine despite what they say.
Then one would qualify as long as your husband is 62 or over as you already state.

Regretfully the Grand Hyatt Tokyo has been disappointing me for some years with some of their select business practices but I'll try and stay on topic
I'd be happy to put you through to someone at GP who can give your reservation the official documented ok if you don't manage that on your own
Cheers
Old Apr 14, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: FB Lifetime Plat
Thank you for your replies, peteropny & 777 global mile hound !

I feel assured that you both share the same understanding as myself.

Because this stay is coming up soon(= in a week), I don't want to make a big fuss about it.
Maybe I'm being too Japanese

EDIT: I received a detailed response from our Gold Passport Concierge.
Contrary to what I'd hoped, the rules are like this:
You need to reserve rooms only under the member who is 62+ to apply the senior rate(!)
IN PRACTICE, however, most Hyatt properties (especially in North America) allow the reservation
to be made under any name, provided the senior is a registered guest of the room and shows the appropriate verification upon check-in.
The Tokyo hotel in question was following the rules by the book.

I'm glad I asked. It was the first time we tried to book under my name and still use the senior rate.
If that's the rule (and not the hotel's fault), i will abide by the rule.
Although it seems to be fairly commonly practiced in North America,
I'd check in advance with the hotels outside North America to avoid any confusion at check-in.

Last edited by orion2000; Apr 15, 2014 at 12:00 am
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
My elite rate for my stay was originally MYR 600 and I just found it dropped on the Hyatt.com website to MYR 480. However, my reservation rate was not updated to 480. Can I use a BRG for this or something similar?
Old Apr 15, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by madguy2
My elite rate for my stay was originally MYR 600 and I just found it dropped on the Hyatt.com website to MYR 480. However, my reservation rate was not updated to 480. Can I use a BRG for this or something similar?
The Best Rate Guarantee doesn't actually apply to the Hyatt web site... but in my experience, you can usually get the rate adjusted to match the lower rate by calling the Hyatt Gold Passport customer service line. Reservation rates are not automatically changed when rates drop, which happens all the time (actually, I don't think I've ever seen this at any chain, but ymmv).

Oh, and welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt
Thanks for the clarification.

Now I'm being told by Hyatt GP that the single occupancy rate is MYR 480 and there is a MYR60 charge for a 2nd adult. I double checked another date and there is no difference between single occupancy and double occupancy rates.

Note that I am using a suite upgrade award for this reservation but even so I don't believe I should be charged extra for the 2nd adult in the room.

EDIT: Told by Hyatt GP that since I'm using a suite upgrade, the extra is probably for regency club access

Last edited by madguy2; Apr 18, 2014 at 1:24 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
I'm looking at booking a hotel over the memorial day weekend, however there are no gold passport rooms available for checking in Fri and checking out Mon (3 nights). If I check out Tue there are rooms available.

If I book until Tue is it possible to call in later to remove the last night and keep the first 3?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by AZbba
I'm looking at booking a hotel over the memorial day weekend, however there are no gold passport rooms available for checking in Fri and checking out Mon (3 nights). If I check out Tue there are rooms available.

If I book until Tue is it possible to call in later to remove the last night and keep the first 3?
You're facing a minimum stay requirement. Whether or not you can book now and shorten later is YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.