Hong Kong Tailor?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong Tailor?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 5:37 am

Question Dress Makers?

I'm going to Hong Kong at the end of the month and would like to find a good dress tailor. Most of the content of this forum seems to be on suits and shirts. Anyone have knowledge of a good dress maker? I have some fabulous silk that I bought in India a few years ago and want to have it made into a dress. Is that possible? Any help grateful!
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Can't help wit a dressmaker but I suggest that you look through some magazines or websites and bring pictures of styles you like. My wife is doing this for a leather/fur acket she wants to have made.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Chitch
I'm going to Hong Kong at the end of the month and would like to find a good dress tailor. Most of the content of this forum seems to be on suits and shirts. Anyone have knowledge of a good dress maker? I have some fabulous silk that I bought in India a few years ago and want to have it made into a dress. Is that possible? Any help grateful!
I know of a good one (well, my female friends tell me it's good) but its quite difficult to find. I'll PM you the address. I dont know how much they will charge for a dress, but as is the rule of good HK tailors, they wont negotiate.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: UAL 1.8MM/1K and AA Exec/Plat.
Good Tailor in Hong Kong

Prices on many earlier posts out of date. Expect to pay at good tailor 100. US and up for quality shirt and 1000. US and up for suit made with 120 and better materials, less if inferior material. Can do suit in 2-3 days. I went in Sept 2012 to HK and by luck found good tailor on Mody Road in Kowloon called King's Tailor, owner is Clement Cheung. He seemed very knowledgeable and prices fair in relation to what I wanted. If you want cheap stuff, many of the street hawkers will lead you to one of the seemingly thousands of tailor shops in HK. The only more prevalent shop is Seven/Eleven. Remember, you get what you pay for.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by michael13
Prices on many earlier posts out of date. Expect to pay at good tailor 100. US and up for quality shirt and 1000. US and up for suit made with 120 and better materials, less if inferior material. Can do suit in 2-3 days. I went in Sept 2012 to HK and by luck found good tailor on Mody Road in Kowloon called King's Tailor, owner is Clement Cheung. He seemed very knowledgeable and prices fair in relation to what I wanted. If you want cheap stuff, many of the street hawkers will lead you to one of the seemingly thousands of tailor shops in HK. The only more prevalent shop is Seven/Eleven. Remember, you get what you pay for.
100USD for a shirt? They saw you coming
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by phol
100USD for a shirt? They saw you coming
And then some! Jantzens in Central is still HKD350-500 for a decent quality shirt - USD45-65.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Anyone familiar with Frankie Tailor in the Sun Hung Kai Ctr in Wanchai?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: pleb
Prices on many earlier posts out of date. Expect to pay at good tailor 100. US and up for quality shirt and 1000. US and up for suit made with 120 and better materials, less if inferior material.
LOL
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Whilst i can understand paying US$100 for a shirt with top quality materials, detail in stitching, variations in lining, horn buttons etc. I can't imagine paying US$100 for 1 shirt at a tailor in Mody Road! I have 2 Ascot Chang shirts which i made for around HK$800 each but these were stunning shirts, with a lot of detail in terms of threads, buttons, linings etc....

My new favorite for this type of custom shirt is Cuffs in Causeway Bay. Though on my last order, they got some of the measurements way off, but were happy to redo the shirts.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: United Global Services,Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
I've been reading through this thread, and it's all a bit overwhelming. I too am getting ready for my first trip to Hong Kong, and plan to be there about a week. Getting a suit made while I'm there seems like a great idea.

I'm by no means a clothes horse, but did discover the joys of custom slacks made from good quality material at a local Houston tailor a few years ago. Really well made pants suddenly just fit perfectly, though were expensive at 500-600 per pair. My old beat up Dillard's sport coat got an uplift and a new lining and is now a bit nicer.

I emailed the Grand Hyatt and they have recommended Linda Chan, it looks like WW Chan is the upper end of the high end. and Danny's is somewhere bellow that?

For fabric I would love some advice as well. I live in Houston, travel in Texas and generally want tropical weight fabrics that can stand being punished by being put in my overstuffed carry on, folded up and put in overheads, etc. All while coming out still looking good. Oh and they should be comfortable to wear in Houston in the summer, or Kansas in the summer. I can always add an overcoat in the winter.

I would like to end up getting a 2 piece suit made, with an extra pair of pants, and a few shirts, ideally paying somewhere around $1000 US. Is that at all possible? Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Thanks!
Scott
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyboy_421
I

For fabric I would love some advice as well. I live in Houston, travel in Texas and generally want tropical weight fabrics that can stand being punished by being put in my overstuffed carry on, folded up and put in overheads, etc. All while coming out still looking good. Oh and they should be comfortable to wear in Houston in the summer, or Kansas in the summer. I can always add an overcoat in the winter.
Zegna has a line of fabrics entitled "Four Seasons" which is pretty much adapted to this use and should work out well with your price requirements etc- any good tailor in HK will have a number of options including Zegna fabrics.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:08 pm

Has pacific custom tailors moved? I can't seem to find them in the directory

Originally Posted by adamak
Agreed. Went there twice in the past decade. The
shirts are still in good condition (machine wash too). I referred lots of my friends there. They're also very professional.

http://www.pacificplace.com.hk/en/ma...m-tailors.html
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Zegna has a line of fabrics entitled "Four Seasons" which is pretty much adapted to this use and should work out well with your price requirements etc- any good tailor in HK will have a number of options including Zegna fabrics.
Excellent advice. Last time I had a Zegna Four seasons suit made along with a Zegna Trofeo (higher quality and much more expensive fabric, about $200 extra just for the fabric). After a few months of wearing, I like the cheaper Zegna Four Seasons better than the Trofeo (of course cheaper is a relative term with Zegna, it is still a multiple of the alternative fabric choices -- but worth it!). There are some great non-Zegna fabrics out there, but few and far between, while almost every Zegna fabric that I've seen is a winner.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:10 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
I've heard about Bonham Strand - but haven't tried them and can't vouch. However, they have quite good pricing and apparently all the work is done here in Hong Kong instead of being farmed out to Shenzhen.

http://live.wsj.com/video/bonham-str...7-BE671F47B2F8
Old Dec 31, 2012, 2:07 pm

Does anybody know whether "Star Fashion" is still located in the far east mansion shopping arcade at the middle road? I got three suits from them two years ago and would like to order a few more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.