Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Sign in using an external account

Old Mar 22, 12, 3:30 am   #241

Programs: CX Diamond
Changing the subject slightly - does anyone know of a decent place for alterations? I just want a couple of shirts and some jeans altered - without the feeling of being pressured into buying another suit
flymao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 12, 10:34 am   #242

Programs: OZ Diamond, Miles & Smiles *G, PC Amb
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshThomas View Post
Changing the subject slightly - does anyone know of a decent place for alterations? I just want a couple of shirts and some jeans altered - without the feeling of being pressured into buying another suit
Yes, go to the 2nd floor of worldwide house in central. Plenty of professional alteration shops at reasonable prices. The one I use if to the right of the escalator coming up near the magazine shop.

...Flying the Friendly Skies since 1980...
slickalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 12, 9:00 am   #243

Second fitting at Danny's, and have to say since my last post - it has been a bit disappointing.

Having been very specific about a number of issues when it came to fit (slim cut, slimmer across the shoulders, deeper V, shorter sleeves) - all of those were not taken care of - it was just too big and too boxy.

When the tailor came in to talk about it, I pointed all of this out - and he got angry with me! He told me I needed room to move when wearing the suit, but I said did you not see the photos I emailed? I want 'slim fit', and shape - but he started shouting some more in Chinese to Singh. Honestly I have had better suits off the rack than this first effort. I am going to reserve judgement until the next fitting, but so far not great. The only plus point so far is that the finish (buttons, stitching, pocket details etc) looked really nice, the Zenga fabric was beautiful - but unfortunately those details are irrelevant if the suit doesn't fit!

Seeing as my parents were in town for the first time, I also suggested that my father should get a suit made - and again, the process has been far from smooth. They told him to come in for the first fitting, and nothing was ready. They made him try on a different jacket to get measurements and that his jacket would be ready to pick up the same time as my second fitting. Seemed a bit strange as there really wasn't a first fitting at all, and surprise surprise - the same problems as mine - jacket was too big, shoulders too big, just boxy and ill fitting. Once again the tailor got mad when we said that it didn't fit properly. We weren't rude, we didn't get upset - we just knew what we wanted and the tailor was

He leaves on Wednesday and the jacket is ready for Tuesday. Again - reserving judgement until adjustments have been made.

Will post another update on Tuesday, when my father gets his suit and then another later in the week when I have my third fitting.
Old Mar 25, 12, 6:23 pm   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshThomas View Post
Second fitting at Danny's, and have to say since my last post - it has been a bit disappointing.

Having been very specific about a number of issues when it came to fit (slim cut, slimmer across the shoulders, deeper V, shorter sleeves) - all of those were not taken care of - it was just too big and too boxy.

When the tailor came in to talk about it, I pointed all of this out - and he got angry with me!
Wow, night-and-day difference from my time there. Not denying your experience - I just had a different one.

I did have to make them adjust the vest neck cut significantly on my nicer suit at first fitting, but the tailor (who did disagree with me, but politely so) got it perfect at that point. Not close - perfect. I had some convincing to do, that the number and spacing of vest buttons would be fine with me with the deeper and specialty-cut neck - the tailor thought it wouldn't work, but what came out satisfied me well.

Wonder if we had different tailors. Tallish slim Asian guy? Kinda sharp features?

Hope all is OK by delivery!
jddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 12, 6:54 pm   #245

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Starwood Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Hyatt Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by jddj View Post
Wow, night-and-day difference from my time there. Not denying your experience - I just had a different one.

I did have to make them adjust the vest neck cut significantly on my nicer suit at first fitting, but the tailor (who did disagree with me, but politely so) got it perfect at that point. Not close - perfect. I had some convincing to do, that the number and spacing of vest buttons would be fine with me with the deeper and specialty-cut neck - the tailor thought it wouldn't work, but what came out satisfied me well.

Wonder if we had different tailors. Tallish slim Asian guy? Kinda sharp features?

Hope all is OK by delivery!
I give Danny's thumbs up for the reasons I expressed previously and the commitment to please. I was doing t lot of things with numerous garments. They got a few small things wrong (like a French cuff shirt came out w button cuffs, and some buttone holes which I ordered in a ceratin color came out white...but if I had time, they would have totally corrected/replaced them.

I think the fit of the blazers is amazing. I ended up with two blazers.

One of the blazers was a Shanghai Tang adaptation from pics are took some work, but was a really good execution. The other was a Zegna copy and they had the origianal to measure, and they got it right the first time.

Alex, the owner (son of the founder) and Singh (the store manager) are comiited to your satisfaction.

The limitation is in fabrics and time. They can't get fabrics that they don't have access to, and if you don't have the time, you can't refine the fit once you leave -- but they will make adjustments until you are happy.

The price/value is high.

Thank you Josh.
nologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 12, 12:55 pm   #246

Well the time came to pick up my fathers suit and the result was 'ok'. Some of the alterations were made - but was still too loose and boxy. Unfortunately my father leaves first thing tomorrow morning, so does not have time to make further alterations, so will have to do this in the UK. Of course I am a little upset as at the end of the day he wasn't happy with the experience he had. I appreciate that he had 7 days from start to finish to have suit made (which should still be plenty of time), but having not had a first fitting before finishing the jacket was sloppy and a bit unprofessional if you ask me.

In terms of customer service and politeness of both the staff at Dannys, both Alex and Singh are very friendly and polite, and I am sure they will not do me wrong - but at the end of the day they aren't making the products themselves.

jjdc - it definately was the same tailor that you had and whilst I appreciate that the tailor has years of experience, and was very polite on the first fitting when it came to my fitting, he was trying to tell me what I wanted, despite my very specific requests. I don't know whether slimmer fitting, tapered jackets are more of a western thing - or having sleeve length come down to your knuckles is an Asian thing - but still, I know what I want, was very specific and that's why I am paying for bespoke and not getting off the peg.

Again, I'll reserve final judgement until I get the finished article, but as I live here, and have the time to keep going back until it's right - I won't be settling until i'm happy. Will post another report on Friday when my first set of alterations are finished.
Old Mar 27, 12, 5:00 pm   #247

Programs: *G
Quote:
Originally Posted by nologic View Post
All I can say is that you get what you pay for. First of all, I doubt you are speaking about the identical fabric: one tailor's Super 150 cloth is not the same as another tailor's, particularly if the cloth is from a branded manufacturer. Otherwise, the difference in workmanship is huge. Most shops don't have their own tailors and use a common factory in China. WW Chan has their own in-house Hong Kong based tailors. Many/most tailors use glue to fuse their suits; WW Chan and a few other top shops only use hand stiching. I agree that the "value" is with the high end tailors using high end fabrics, like Loro Piana or Zegna. Holland and Sherry also offers nice fabrics which will be less expensive that LP or Zegna (2/3rds). None of the shops have high overhead, and WW Chan may have among the lowest. Rent would be one of the most expensive overhead items, except for the cost of labor. Hotel/mall storefronts will have higher rents than places like WW Chan. I would presume they have the same cost for fabrics. You might be able to save money if you ask for remnant fabric where they may be down to their last pieces. I seriously advise against the low to middle end shops: you may find yourself throwing away the clothes like I once did. You truly get what you pay for.

I'd like to add that it's just not the TECHNICAL qualities of a place, but also the "soft" qualities: style consultation.

If you know exactly what you're looking for -- cut, fit -- sure you can "guide" a tailor/cutter to make you that suit. But if you have no idea whether you want open or closed quarters; proper button and pocket placement; lapel gorge height and width; natural, roped, or neopolitan sleevehead; etc... then you will be better served going to WW Chan or an equally reputable tailor with a good house style

If all you want is "a dark blue 2 button suit with 2 vents in 120s wool and bemberg lining"... anybody can make that, but you *may* regret the stylistic details later down the road
deniah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 12, 6:35 am   #248

Just to add to the thread. A few weeks ago I had emailed 'Permanent Style' - a very well respected blog on all things sartorial - to ask some questions, and sadly whilst I went ahead with my decision before his response, this still might be of use to some people when deciding on who to go for when it comes to bespoke.

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2012...e-in-hong.html
Old Apr 11, 12, 10:14 am   #249

Since my last post i've been back twice and still no finished jacket.

I can't really blame Alex or Singh as they have tried their best to get things right but as I have said before, they are just the salesmen, not the tailor - and I can say for now that the whole process has been tiresome.

If you want a relatively cheap suit that's purely for business or you aren't concerned about the finer details then i'm sure they will do you just fine. They obviously cater for the 'boxy' business suit more than a younger client.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, but given that I was spending $4500 on just a jacket and having been made to visit the store around 6 times since my first visit and it still isn't right - I should have just spent the extra and gone to WW Chan (more specifically The Armoury).
Old Apr 12, 12, 12:03 pm   #250

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold
Good idea or bad?

I'll be in HKG for a brief visit. I arrive Thursday evening late and will have all of Friday through Sunday free, then fly out Monday morning. And I'm staying in TST so that makes Danny's quite convenient.

I only need dress pants - no jackets at all. Given the pant is the simplest part of the suiting construction, how likely is it I'll be able to have a fitting Friday and then a second fitting over the weekend? Ideally, I'd like to take the pants with me but if that can't happen then I'll have them shipped to me.

Last edited by geo1005; Apr 12, 12 at 12:43 pm.
geo1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 12, 2:35 pm   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1005 View Post
I only need dress pants - no jackets at all. Given the pant is the simplest part of the suiting construction, how likely is it I'll be able to have a fitting Friday and then a second fitting over the weekend? Ideally, I'd like to take the pants with me but if that can't happen then I'll have them shipped to me.
They met that kind of schedule for me. Be particular in the fitting - the pants are the one thing I'd've changed with another fitting.
jddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 12, 10:40 pm   #252

Had a great experience with jantzen for tshirts, make sure to pay a little extra for the thicker MOP buttons
duke2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 12, 1:19 pm   #253

Has been a whilst since I gave an update about Danny's.

Well they finished the jacket, and they even delivered to my office and threw a free shirt in for all the inconvenience, but ultimately it didn't wash the bitter taste out of my mouth.

Overall I would give the jacket 5/10 (as the material was beautiful, fit was not great) and the service a 7.5/10. I'm sure they will be fine for some, and Alex and Singh are nice guys, but if you are looking for a suit style that's more European than Asian i'd avoid them.

On a slightly better note I found a place on Wellington Street in Central called TCNY which does great made to measure suits starting at around $5k, and tailored shirts starting at $550. After speaking to the most senior member of staff there, he told me that they are an offshoot of the Ascot Chang company - and he was a member of the Chang family himself.

The quality is great for the money but the service was even better - they knew how to make a suit fit for the more style conscious, whilst managing to keep it very classic at the same time. They also had a few ready to wear items in store which was great as it could really help to visualise what you were having made, plus buy some ties/pocket squares etc to finish off whatever look you are going for. They take a little longer than most (shirt was about 10 days and the Jacket was about 15 before the first fitting) - but it is well worth the wait. I picked up the shirt a few days ago and it honestly fits better than any shirt i've had before. Picking up the Jacket this week after a first fitting that was 90% perfect, but they noticed that my shoulders are set a little forward and that the material could crease if it wasn't fixed - small details that I would not have noticed!

I'd also recommend Jantzen tailor for shirts as they are very good value for money at 350hkd a shirt and can turn them around in 2 days. The place is usually packed so service can be a little 'rushed' - but don't let that put you off as the finished product is decent.
Old May 8, 12, 2:05 pm   #254

Anyone used Simpson Sin tailors? They happen to be right underneath me when i stay at the Hyatt Regency in TST, looking for a few shirts.
gegarrenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 12, 8:47 pm   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymao View Post
On a slightly better note I found a place on Wellington Street in Central called TCNY which does great made to measure suits starting at around $5k, and tailored shirts starting at $550. After speaking to the most senior member of staff there, he told me that they are an offshoot of the Ascot Chang company - and he was a member of the Chang family himself.
Shall bear that in mind for my next suit - there was a piece in Time Out this week about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymao View Post
I'd also recommend Jantzen tailor for shirts as they are very good value for money at 350hkd a shirt and can turn them around in 2 days. The place is usually packed so service can be a little 'rushed' - but don't let that put you off as the finished product is decent.
I'm on my second batch of shirts from Jantzen - very happy so far with the quality and fit.

Picking up another suit from Edward Tam at E.Italian soon - got that recommendation from the Permanent Style blog you referenced up thread!
Shuttle-Bored is offline   Reply With Quote