Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What lounge(s) to use?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

What lounge(s) to use?

I am traveling SFO-HKG-SIN on Singapore Airlines, in first class, with an extended layover in HKG. Which lounges do I have access to and which one is best? I also have access to Plaza Premium lounges.

Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by wanna go now
I am traveling SFO-HKG-SIN on Singapore Airlines, in first class, with an extended layover in HKG. Which lounges do I have access to and which one is best? I also have access to Plaza Premium lounges.

Thanks!
SQ is smallest and at east end of concourse with no view. UA and TG are at the "Y" on the west end. Close to each other. I know UA's busy in the morning and TG in the afternoon. All three should have dedicated First area inside the clubs. From *A's website, you can also use Virgin Clubhouse and a bunch of contract lounge. Not sure if those are any nicer.

If you have extended period, you can go sample different ones.

Last edited by rkkwan; Nov 10, 2015 at 9:40 pm
Old Nov 10, 2015, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by rkkwan
SQ is smallest and at east end of concourse with no view. UA and TQ are at the "Y" on the west end.
rkkwan meant TG, which is right next to UA. Never been to UA, and don't know about Virgin.

Here's my ranking:

4. "CNAC VIP Lounge" - this one will be closest to the experience of a domestic lounge in the US, with somewhat of a tarmac view. Extremely limited food and beverage choice. Caters to mainland flyers only. Worst choice by a mile.

3. Premium Plaza near the "Y": Decent food, plenty of seats, partial view. PP has another one near gate 4 which tends to be very busy. Both third place.

2. TG: Mediocre food options, nice view, massage chairs in the FC section. Second place.

1. SQ: Best choice of food, nice shower room, no view, but: proper bar. Not sure how familiar you are with Asian lounges, but it's all free flow of brand spirits and no tipping needed either - clear winner!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks! That helps a lot.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Actually, UA's lounge in HKG is arguably in the top 3 of any United Club anywhere. They have real food at just about any hour (not just the upgraded stuff served in domestic UC's); the spaghetti at dinner time is pretty good, and decent beer/spirits/wine, self pour. Having said that, the SQ lounge is located fairly close to where airside starts (right after Immigration), while the UC is in the area of the 60's gates - there's an internal train that speeds you there, as well as a travellator if you prefer that. But - you would have to backtrack to the general vicinity of the SQ lounge because the SQ gates are in that part of the airport. The problem is that both travellator and train run outwards - they don't go the other way, so it'd be a ten to fifteen minute walk back (I've done that). The TG lounge is at the far end of the airport close to the 40's gates - it's a couple of minutes by foot to the UA lounge.

Additionally you didn't mention if you have status with any particular airlines. I assume you know you need to have at least *G (Star Gold) status to be able to enter the TG and UA lounges (I'm assuming that flying first on SQ by itself doesn't allow visiting the other lounges, ie the key is the *G status).

So if time and/or access to multiple lounges is a problem, I second the view of the other poster that recommended just staying in the SQ lounge. A small tip: the kitchen offers hot food such as wonton noodles (other things too but I can't remember what they are), but you would need to ask the attendant in the hot buffet area.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Since OP is traveling in F the easy choice is UA F lounge. Extensive food choices and dedicated F lounge with separate entrance and facilities.

Plaza Premium air side lounges are crowded all day long like a food court. Land side lounge is better but food selection is a very small menu.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
You will have access to the TG, who does not really have a F lounge, and UA lounges too but I think the SQ F section is nicer than both combined. The UA F section does have a view so if you want to take a walk about have a sit to watch some planes that will be your best place.

SQ

TG

UA
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...96061-hkg.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...ge-open-3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...velers-27.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...hong-kong.html
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Just so I'm clear. I'm flying SQ F, but I don't have any status with any airline. I thought I would get access to more than just SQ, but am I wrong?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
No, you are not wrong.

Your *A premium boarding pass entitles you to enter other *A lounges.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks, garykung. I guess I'll have a grand time lounge hopping.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
To save your time, this is the route I regularly use:

Train > UC > TG + PPL (West) > Walk > SKL

1. SQ usually departs near SKL. So it is best to go other places first.

2. UC and TG + PPL (West) is interchangeable. TG is next to PPL (West), so you will have to go to both together.

3. Trains are one-way. In other word, you must walk back to SKL.

4. PPL (East) has the same offering as PPL (West), but more crowded and no view.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks, garykung!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.