Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Hong Kong and Macau
Reload this Page >

Ideas for a special meal/place/event for parents returning to HK for visit?

Old Nov 11, 15, 2:53 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hello all --

Thank you all for your advice in separate threads about the HKID and other topics. I have another question that I would love your thoughts on.

I am traveling to HK with my parents who were born there but now lived in the US for 40 years. They have gone back periodically to visit family. We are going later this month.

I was wondering if there's something exciting, interesting, or a great experience I should just definitely take them to see on our trip back there, that you could recommend?

Apologies for being a bit vague -- that is the nature of the issue, I don't myself know exactly.

They grew up there (Kowloon), but are now returning at ~70 years old. My idea is that maybe there is something that they never got to see and now exists, or some great place to reminisce over, or some truly memorable thing to do with them.

A great meal, or some show would be fine but that's not exactly what I mean. (and they would protest at the cost, you probably know the type of HK immigrant parents) We are going to leisurely go around the city as usual, see their old neighborhoods, take care of renewing documents, etc, also go to Macau for a day trip.

Any place, thing, event to see that would be really memorable? Thanks for any tips!
Old Nov 11, 15, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
If they are physically mobile (and their eyesight is ok) and you get a clear day then maybe take a taxi/car as far up Tai Mo Shan Road as you can go (to the barrier) and then walk a bit further up the road (to the extent their legs let them) and take in the views to all sides - you can see the huge development that is Shenzhen, Shatin, Tai Po, HK Island, the bridges and the new airport and so on. It's a very different place from when they grew up.

Alternatively, (since Kowloon is the one bit you can't see much of from Tai Mo Shan) take a taxi/car up Shatin Pass Road and along to the viewing point at the top of Jat's Incline - there is a superb view over Kowloon and HK Island on a clear day (and no walking required at all).
Old Nov 11, 15, 3:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
Hyatt Hong Kong

The Hyatt in Kowloon comes highly recommended for afternoon tea. Great food, fabulous views, accessible & uber expensive! [email protected]
Old Nov 11, 15, 4:05 am
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christep View Post
If they are physically mobile (and their eyesight is ok) and you get a clear day then maybe take a taxi/car as far up Tai Mo Shan Road as you can go (to the barrier) and then walk a bit further up the road (to the extent their legs let them) and take in the views to all sides - you can see the huge development that is Shenzhen, Shatin, Tai Po, HK Island, the bridges and the new airport and so on. It's a very different place from when they grew up.
Thank you for this interesting idea! Maybe you catch a taxi from Tsing Yi or somewhere close by?

I guess the question may be if the weather / pollution allows for a view on one of the days we visit!
Old Nov 11, 15, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TA View Post
Thank you for this interesting idea! Maybe you catch a taxi from Tsing Yi or somewhere close by?

I guess the question may be if the weather / pollution allows for a view on one of the days we visit!
The closest MTR station is Tsuen Wan; Tsuen Wan West is almost as close. But if you're in Tsing Yi then a taxi to the barrier on Tai Mo Shan would, I guess, be no more than $150 or so. But you'd need to get them to wait while you walked up and down, so you're looking at $500 or so roundtrip.

The second suggestion of the viewing point at the top of Jat's Incline might work better. It's here: https://goo.gl/maps/sQbXcsrK2oE2
Because the viewing point is by the road the taxi just waits for as long as you want to take in the view. If you were in any case wanting to visit any of Kowloon Bay, Choi Hung, Kwun Tong or thereabouts then the it's not a huge diversion for the taxi from Tsing Yi to go up Shatin Pass Road and down Jat's Incline (they are both one-way). And that's where you get an excellent view of the Kowloon peninsula.
Old Nov 11, 15, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been fascinated by the museum near the park on the Kowloon side that focuses on the history of Hong Kong, including the handover.

To me, tea in the lobby of the Peninsula is an iconic Hong Kong experience, although recently it's been mobbed with tourists from mainland China. I'd say dinner at the restaurant at the top for the view of the lights, but elderly parents probably won't like the bar up there, the noise, or the prices.

I've heard that the Walk of Stars (along the water in Kowloon, basically behind the IC and next to the Star Ferry terminal) is closed now, but double check. They should see the light show from a good spot. I'd also take them on a ferry ride unless they have severe mobility issues.
Old Nov 11, 15, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
The OP mentioned that the parents have visited HK regularly, so it's not like they haven't seen all the new developments. That should be a consideration.

Anyways, going to Tai Mo Shan, taxi from Tsuen Wan or Tsuen Wan West MTR stations would be cheaper than Tsing Yi.
Old Nov 11, 15, 10:46 pm

How about a meal at Lin Heung Tea House 蓮香樓 for classic dim sum with the trolleys and personal tea pots? I'm sure they are no strangers to dimsum around HK if they been back periodically. But the classic old style should bring back some good memories

Definitely would appeal more to their taste bud than aforementioned afternoon teas.
Old Nov 12, 15, 3:50 am
TA
Original Poster

Thank you all for the continuing ideas -- these are all great and I will look into them and propose to my parents! They're 70, but still very capable and in good health, eyesight, activity level, so we may be adventurous and go for the proposed walks, etc. I will also try to take them to Tim Ho Wan on the HK side or the less busy one near Sham Shui Po (?).

One thing I remember from my childhood visits there once, was that we took a long MTR ride somewhere distant from Kowloon, hopped on a short boat ride (like across a harbor), and went to one of those open air seafood markets where you then bring the seafood to a restaurant that cooks it for you. I wonder where that could have been? I saw that Sai Kung has something like that, but I do not remember it being in that direction exactly... Maybe I would try to recreate that dinner as well.
Old Nov 12, 15, 4:17 am

Sounds like Lei Yu Mun, which I find pretty unpleasant these days.

Sitting at a harbour-front restaurant in Sai Kung is a much much nicer experience.

There's also the ferry trip to Lamma for a similar experience.

Lunch at one of the simple beach restaurants at Shek O on E Hong Kong Island is also very nice, not so much for the food but for the views, especially outside the crowded summer months.
Old Nov 12, 15, 4:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TA View Post
One thing I remember from my childhood visits there once, was that we took a long MTR ride somewhere distant from Kowloon, hopped on a short boat ride (like across a harbor), and went to one of those open air seafood markets where you then bring the seafood to a restaurant that cooks it for you. I wonder where that could have been?
My guess would also be Lei Yue Mun although it's on Kowloon side. There is still a ferry across the harbour from Sai Wan Ho, but there's a 10 minute walk now from Sai Wan Ho MTR to the ferry pier after a load more reclamation, and there's also a 5-10 min walk at the other end to get to the seafood market and restaurants.

Having said that, I also find Lei Yue Mun expensive and nothing special. Better for seafood would be Lamma (Sok Kwu Wan).

For something quite different (albeit a little pricey), how about chartering a small boat and going out to seafood lunch at Man Kee on Po Toi Island (closed Wednesday I think). Something like this: http://www.intimate-charters.com/favourite_3.html
Old Nov 12, 15, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I highly doubt your parents will care about Tim Ho Wan. They want to sip tea of their choice and eat at a leisurely pace. Exactly not what Tim Ho Wan is about. Lin Heung is a better choice.

For seafood, besides Sai Kung, you can also consider Po Toi O, next to Clear Water Bay.
Old Nov 12, 15, 11:44 pm

Hmmm not sure if I can offer too much. I just went back with family and had a fantastic meal at The Chairman

http://www.openrice.com/en/hongkong/...chairman/36252

Definitely not on the cheaper end, but I definitely enjoyed the steamed flowery crab with aged shaoxing wine & chicken oil with rice noodles. Great stuff, and a reservation is recommended in advance (I had a hard time getting a table during the weekday a few weeks in advance). This place definitely hit the spot for us (we got the set meals), and I found the food to be quite fresh and prepared on point. Less focus on abalone, etc. but just really well done Cantonese cooking.

Another one that I found fun was going to dai pai dong Tung Po. I'm sure there are a few other ones, but I think eating at a dai pai dong is one of those things that you cannot get in the US. So I'd go there and have a nice meal, definitely louder and more rowdy than what I expect, but has a certain charm.
Old Nov 14, 15, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
How about seafood at Lau Fau Shan?

Search this Thread