Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PlatinumFlyer:

I commend Hilton for recognizing the need to upgrade the Palmer House and really doing it all. I'm eager for the rest of the hotel to be completed. Perhaps the one suggestion I would give them is get someone and do a proper Quality Assurance review.
</font>
Amen to that! The Palmer House is a beautiful hotel with an awesome lobby but I found several problems in the rooms which was definitely a downer. Maintain the rooms(or fix problems in a timely manner) and I'd go back.

Old Feb 18, 2003, 12:39 pm

Location: Bannockburn, IL USA -- AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
I just stayed on the Executive 23rd floor and I'd have to agree...the rooms were beautiful. I had two bathrooms in addition to all the other features listed above. The HHonors check-in desk was really helpful too! My agent's name was Kate, and she made the stay very pleasant.

rbank
Old Mar 7, 2003, 12:22 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Nice to hear. I'm booked there for one night, 3/14.

So, as a Gold, I should try to angle for a room on the 23rd floor?
Old Mar 7, 2003, 8:11 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank goodness. This was my first Hilton stay in a long time a couple years back. The Hotel was in dire need of a renovation. I almost never came back to Hilton after staying here. The Lounge was very so so.
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:02 am

It's true that the rooms and bathrooms are shabby. It's also true that the Exec Lounge is not special.

However, the Palmer House location is great. In addition, the staff has always been very helpful. We last stayed there in December and requested the "Pool Table Suite" in advance. The hotel made no guarantees, but we did get the suite, which made our teenage son very happy.

After that stay, I sent the GM a thank you note. He has already blocked the "Pool Table Suite" for our visit next week.

Great service with a personal touch!
Old Mar 10, 2003, 8:15 am

Location: AA: EXP. 2MM; BA: Silver; HH: Diamond; Starwood: Platinum
I stay almost weekly at the PH and last for my birthday they gave me the 2 bedroom pool table suite. Had a part of 20 people and still there was plenty of room!!

I had been getting their "non-pool-table" suites regularly, but while they are very nice and a ton of room, I've opted for the renovated rooms which have the broadband internet.

My only complaint is that they're just not setup well to handle any internet issues. The main one being that it's not working in the room. Here's the secret: Hunt around for another box. It may be behind the curtains, the couch, the TV, even the bed, but if you find it, chances are that one works! Why it's not the one under the desk? That's a good question....
Old Mar 10, 2003, 8:34 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I always like my stays at the Palmer House.
Can't wait to see the new changes.

Is Palmer House a category 5 or 6 hotel?
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PlatinumFlyer:
I stay almost weekly at the PH and last for my birthday they gave me the 2 bedroom pool table suite. Had a part of 20 people and still there was plenty of room!!

I had been getting their "non-pool-table" suites regularly, but while they are very nice and a ton of room, I've opted for the renovated rooms which have the broadband internet.

My only complaint is that they're just not setup well to handle any internet issues. The main one being that it's not working in the room. Here's the secret: Hunt around for another box. It may be behind the curtains, the couch, the TV, even the bed, but if you find it, chances are that one works! Why it's not the one under the desk? That's a good question....
</font>
Exactly my point! Why get an exec room on the 23rd if the internet doesn't work! (non-suite of course). I did find the service to be exceptional when I had a complain about that very issue though.

Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:27 am

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
I seem to remember someone saying--now I can't find the post--that the Palmer House actually categorizes its rooms according to size and desirability (i.e. categories 1-4). Has anyone else heard this? I'm scheduled to stay there next month and I can't remember whether category 1 rooms were supposed to be best or category 4. Does anyone else know about this?
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:39 am

Location: AA: EXP. 2MM; BA: Silver; HH: Diamond; Starwood: Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lpas:
I seem to remember someone saying--now I can't find the post--that the Palmer House actually categorizes its rooms according to size and desirability (i.e. categories 1-4). Has anyone else heard this? I'm scheduled to stay there next month and I can't remember whether category 1 rooms were supposed to be best or category 4. Does anyone else know about this?</font>
I've not heard of that before. From my experience, there are 3 floors with the better rooms. 23 & 22 which are Executive Towers, and the rooms on 8 where the gym is. They tend to be larger, but I can't confirm broadband access.

As for renovated rooms, there seems to be a variety of renovations. Some are complete (see first post on this thread), others have just the bathrooms upgraded. I'd still consider those "better" than the standard rooms.

Also keep in mind that not all the rooms on 23,22 and 8 are better - just the majority. There still are a few "closets" where you'll find you can't open drawers, doors, etc. without bumping into something like room 23-245 - tiny!
Old Apr 3, 2003, 5:48 am
Original Member

Is There HHonors/Diamond Check-In Desk at Palmer House?

My first visit to the Palmer House. Is there a HHonors/Diamond check-in desk there? If so, where? Thanks.........

------------------
"The Eyes of Texas Are Upon You"
Old Apr 3, 2003, 6:06 am

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Last time I was there there was a HHonors check-in desk right across from the regular check-in area. I'm not sure what hours it's actually staffed.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 9:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Ahhh, my favorite Hilton! Right across from the regular check-in is the HHonors checkin. If Diamond, expect a suite upgrade and access to the lounge.
Old Apr 3, 2003, 10:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DL Platinum:
If Diamond, expect a suite upgrade and access to the lounge.</font>
I concur on the lounge access, but not necessarily on the suite upgrade (depends on how full they are).
Old Apr 3, 2003, 11:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Or nothing if you are on a Priceline stay, not that you should expect anything on a priceline stay, of course.

On my recent $55 priceline stay I got nothing extra, no upgrade, no lounge, but the HHonors desk did let me check in at the HHonors counter instead of waiting in the 5-10 minute line at the other counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.