Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Palmer House a Hilton Hotel {US-IL}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2001, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
Palmer House report

I was at the Palmer House in Chicago 10/23 - 10/26. Here is a little report:

At check in, I was told without asking that I was upgraded to the Exec level on the 22th floor (I'm a HH Gold). For a non-suite room, it was large in size with two bathrooms, two closets and two double beds.

Breakfast consisted of the regular fruits, cereals and pastries was served at the lounge on the 23rd floor.

The express elevator has been upgraded and was quite responsive and fast when I used it.

Room service was a little slow and the food was not that great.

All in all, it was a nice stay.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 8:54 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Did anyone tell you when the exec lounge reopened? The lounge had been closed the 2nd week of October with no estimated time of reopening then.
Old Oct 31, 2001, 12:55 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG, Hilton
I think the lounge was reopened a week ago.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
For all those planning on staying at the Palmer House between now and the end of the year...
The executive lounge is again closed, according to the person who checked me in, it was only open last week because a group stayed at the Palmer House that had a contractual guarantee to have the executive lounge available. It will be open again for one week at the end of November, but not reopen again until at least the 1st of the year.
Old Mar 13, 2002, 10:10 pm

Palmer House Priceline Stay

I just got 2 rooms for two nights through priceline for march 15-17 at the Palmer house hilton in Chicago for about $60 a night. I'm hilton gold and also booked rooms in orlando and hilton head this week. I wouldn't be a big customer 10k or less based on my office and what I book for others. I'll confess I enjoy getting low rates through priceline on the weekends for myself and others. I know that my business will never make or break hilton. I stayed at the palmer house in chicago about 6 weeks ago and was really treated rudely - sort of a second class citizen. It bothered me then and evidently it still bothers me as I've decided not to use the priceline reservations. It doesn't necessarily make sense to just give hilton $240+ because I won't be comfortable there but I'd rather do that than have a bad time. I've made regular reservations at the hilton towers for the same time. I've always had good service and a good stay at the towers and most other hiltons. I have decided however that in the future hilton is going to be only a 3rd or 4th choice in my options. I'm a little surprised at my own conclusions but significant bad service really offsets a lot of good or average service and it really doesn't make sense staying where you may feel uncomfortable.(By the way I'm not suggesting that anyone else should feel the same or do likewise)
Old Mar 18, 2002, 5:01 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I was happy at the Palmer House Feb.15-17/ 2002. $89 a night for the small room on hhonors.com, upgraded as Gold to regular room. You should have gone & been too busy celebrating St. Patrick's Day all over town to be in the hotel during waking hours!
Old Mar 18, 2002, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you are using priceline, then you don't have a first or second choice, let alone a third one. I wouldn't throw away the money by not using the priceline room.
Old Mar 19, 2002, 5:49 am

The Palmer House does not limit their open
disdain and sarcasm to only those with
Priceline reservations. They seem to
actually delight in declining what are
seemingly reasonable requests from those of
us who use corp/negotiated rates.

I'm a HH-Diamond that uses corp/negotiated
rates at Hilton properties. I like to use
the in-room ethernet/Internet connections
and health club. My corp travel folks
cautioned that not all rooms at the Palmer
House are so equipped. Weeks before the
trip I called the hotel directly and asked
if they would note my [only] request ...
and was told that corp/negotiated rates did
not permit such special requests ... and
that the room I would be likely be assigned
would not have the ethernet/Internet
connection.

Upon check-in, I got the same story along
with the song & dance as to why the other
HH program benefits are unavailable to
corp/negotiated rate guests. Why? Rules.
Are you full? No. If I pay more, do you
have a room with the [$9.95/day] internet
connection? Yes. Grrrr.

I insisted that *they* rebook me into the
Chicago Hilton. I had a very pleasant stay
at the Chicago Hilton. Property is equipped
with both wired & wireless internet service.
Health club was fine. HH lounge was great.

FWIW; I enjoy anagrams: "The Palmer House"
= "Uh, please mother."

-doug
Old Mar 23, 2002, 6:06 am

I've stayed at the Palmer every week this year (short stays of one to two days usually twice a week) and have noticed similar issue with "less than pleasant" staff. It appears that a lot of them are new(er) and have only had one problem and that was being put in a smoking room when non smoking was reserved and confirmed.

When I called downstairs, I was rudely told that there was nothing they could do.

What I found out was at the Palmer, elite guests should never be talking to the front desk staff. They have staff dedicated to the needs of elite guests. Upon talking to the HHonors rep in the exec lounge, she found me a non smoking room and apologized for having to deal with the front desk folks.

Also, to their benefit, there have been a lot of conventions at the palmer and I think the newbies are having trouble coping with the demands of inexperienced travelers.
Old Aug 21, 2002, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
Is anyone here familiar w/ the Palmer House in Chicago?

I've stayed at this hotel once before (a while back) and got one of the smallest hotel rooms I think I've ever had in my life, overlooking the roof of an interior courtyard. I'm assuming there have to be at least some larger rooms (short of an executive suite) with at least a marginally better view, or am I wrong about this? I'll be returning to Chicago next month and I'm debating whether or not to give it another try (very tempting as my client is only 2 blocks away). Any advice from those more familiar w/ the Palmer House?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 7:54 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
if you are a HHonors diamond member call the diamond Desk and they will put in a special request (call the hotel for you) and ask for a large Suite or Big room for you.

Good Luck!
Old Aug 21, 2002, 8:04 pm

Yes, the other rooms are nicer. What you probably were in was a "studio room" which usually goes with the lowest rates. Try to ask for at least a Tower (HHonors) floor room
if not a Diamond level member. Don't worry about the view-- there is too much to do in Chicago than sit in the hotel. Not that I dislike the Palmer House but you might consider the Hilton Homewood Suites on Grand Avenue. Nice staff and good breakfast.

------------------
JerseyJoe

[This message has been edited by JerseyJoe (edited 08-21-2002).]
Old Aug 21, 2002, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA1P, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
if you are a HHonors diamond member</font>
No...unfortunately, I'm not. I wish I was though. Does that count? I was silver the last time I stayed there (clearly didn't get me much)--now am gold. I really don't care so much about the view but I usually stay a few days, so it would be nice to feel a bit less claustrophobic.

Does anyone know if they provide free breakfast coupons?

Old Feb 17, 2003, 5:17 pm

Location: AA: EXP. 2MM; BA: Silver; HH: Diamond; Starwood: Platinum
Palmer House Hilton Chicago - BETA TEST?

The LONG overdue renovation of the Palmer House Hilton in Chicago has begun! Actually, it seems like while it "appears" that they have actually finished some rooms (only on the 23rd Floor in the Executive Towers on the 200 - or smoking - series rooms) they're just not REALLY ready.

First off, I will say that when they ARE ready, it's going to be REALLY nice! Completely new bathrooms (Gorehn double headed showers, vanity style sinks and counters, picture frame mirrors, new toilets, marble (no more institution tile!).

The beds - major improvement! Down comforters, tapestry style bed spreads, new carpeting, wallpaper, curtains that actually CLOSE, painting, light fixtures, etc. They really did a top-to-bottom renovation. Including new TV's with BIG screens, DVD players in the room, Dream Machine CD/Clock/Alarm radios - the works!

Just a few "kinks" though to work out. Lights not working, TV's missing remote controls, High Speed Internet access not working, cordless phone not working.

Fortunately - the Palmer House has "Jack". Jack is in the maintenance department and this guy can get things done! He's incredibly nice, and willing to help out as much as he can. Admits when he can't fix something but promises - and comes through - with someone who can and does.

So, with the help from Jack and his crew, things got fixed, turned on, etc. and by the end of the stay the room was ready for the next guest.

I commend Hilton for recognizing the need to upgrade the Palmer House and really doing it all. I'm eager for the rest of the hotel to be completed. Perhaps the one suggestion I would give them is get someone and do a proper Quality Assurance review.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 9:55 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Very nice hotel. However, I was not impressed with the offerings in their lounge, unfortunately.

Hopefully that will improve also.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.