Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
We just transfer 1000 Mypoints to Hilton every now and then.
Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Choose a car rental partner of Hilton and earn HHonors points instead of FF mileage.

Best thing to do if you are a US resident is to apply for the free credit cards, get the bonus points, and then occasionally use the cards for purchases.

Old Sep 14, 2003, 5:55 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by xyzzy:
Does the issuance of a reward certificate count as activity that would keep an account from expiring? I'd guess so but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?</font>
Some months ago (when GLONs were still 100k points, of course) I made a reward booking. The CSR said that since I hadn't stayed at a Hilton for over 12 months (err, about 3 years, actually) my account could be closed on me before I took the stay, but that she could flag it not to be closed.

I take it from that that issuance of a reward cert doesn't count and that having the actual stay does, but that they can ensure that the account survives long enough to get to the stay.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 6:09 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
I just got an email giving me 60 days til my points expire since I do not have any travel paned what can I do?

Credit card is not an option for europeans

------------------
Viele Gre

Oliver
Old Sep 15, 2003, 6:54 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Germanfflyer:
I just got an email giving me 60 days til my points expire since I do not have any travel paned what can I do?

Credit card is not an option for europeans

</font>
From the Hi lton Web page:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Will my HHonors account stay open even if I don't stay at an HHonors hotel?

Members who do not earn points in any 12 month consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and, if so, are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated points. The account may be reactivated by the member taking one of the following actions:

a) stay at an HHonors hotel, thus reactivating membership; or

b) earn HHonors points through any third party source of HHonors point accumulation; or

c)request any Reward for which the Member is eligible; account will then be closed at end of the 90-day period.

Failure to take action (a), (b) or (c) described above within the prescribed 90-day period will result in the closure of the Member's account and the forfeiture of all accumulated points</font>
------------------
kpc

[This message has been edited by kpc (edited 09-15-2003).]
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">how to keep pts from expiring</font>
Never leave them in a car with the windows up on a hot day.

Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:38 am

Programs: WN CP, Hertz 5*
I received a similar e-mail recently. I know it's not a very good value, but wouldn't purchasing the 1,000 Hhonors points for $12.50 work?
Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:29 pm

Programs: SK EBB
I just recieved an e-mail that my points will expire in 2 months..

Have anyone tried buying 1000 points to reactivate their account?

Is there any other way than staying in a Hilton property for non-US residents to get some quick points on their account?
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA/CO-MillionMiler
I had over 80,000 points in HHonors... didn't stay with them for 15 months. They kicked me out of the program and removed all my points. They say that they sent me a warning letter (I don't think they did!). They refuse to reinstate the points.
I am a very frequent traveler, and am now telling all my fellow employees to avoid all of the Hilton family of hotels.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 3:51 pm

According to the Hilton website - points earned from an Avis car rental are only valid with a hotel stay. It does not look like you could keep your account from expiring, by earning points the Avis route. Anyone with a different experience?
Old Sep 30, 2003, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You get 250 points via Avis rentals by showing your keys to the front desk and having them note that you used Avis on your account. You *also* get HH points by giving your HH number to Avis at the time of your rental and selecting to receive HH points instead of airline miles.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:30 pm

I just talked to someone from hilton honors using their PC phone and I think she was bored with my conversation since I keep on asking a lot of questions.

Anyhow, I also need to ask since I am a member from Asia(Philippines to be more precise)..what options can I have if there is NO HILTON in MANILA, PHILIPPINES? Even if I do want to book a hotel here in Manila, it is not possible. I want to prolong my expiry(which is coming up January) I dont know what options I can have so that my points wont expire..take note I have 350,000 points so I need to use it immediately.
The one I talked to was stupid since I keep on asking questions and she hasnt have the faintest answer to my questions..she was bored with all my questions probably.

Can anyone help me find ways just to keep my membership active then? Do you think purchasing the points of $12.50 would work..my last activity is I transferred my HGVC points last year to them(Hilton honors) that is why it has some activity yet..
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
For my sister's account we tried to get bonus points from an Avis rental. Only today, a couple of weeks after the rental, did we find out that that Avis location did not participate &lt;sigh&gt;
Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know -- if I convert 1000 mypoints to 1000 HH points do they check that the account names match?
Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
I'm in the same boat - closed account with over 100k points!

I only found out when I had a stay and the balance was far lower than I thought it should be.

I'm sure I have a charge at the restaurant of the then Salt Lake City Hilton during the period I should have been racking up points. I just have to find the CC statement and ask them if maybe they'll post those meals as points and give me back my miles.

Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.