Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
In accordance with the terms and conditions of Hilton HHonors:

Members who do not have eligible activity as defined in a. - d. below in any 24 consecutive month period may be removed from the Program and are subject to forfeiture of all accumulated Points. At the discretion of Hilton Honors, such Members may be permitted to remain in the Program and removed after five years of inactivity. To keep accumulated Hilton Honors Points, the Member must take one of the following actions within a 24 consecutive month period:
  1. stay at a hotel within the Hilton Portfolio pursuant to the terms herein;
  2. earn Hilton Honors Points through any third party source of Hilton Honors Point accumulation, including a Hilton co-branded credit card, pursuant to its terms;
  3. purchase Hilton Honors Points; or,
  4. donate Points through The Hilton Honors Giving Back Program.

Print Wikipost

How To Keep Hilton Honors Points From Expiring: The Definitive Thread

Old Apr 27, 2004, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
for something that is supposedly not allowed, they sure have that option on their website ("Merge Accounts", which IMO implies you have more than one account ).

Now I know I can't earn in more than one account at a time, but there seems no real prohibition against holding more than one account.

???
Here's from the horse's mouth:

"8. HHonors Members cannot maintain membership in or earn points on multiple accounts."

According to the official rules, you can not even maintain membership in multiple accounts. And the option of merging accounts is offered as a remedy to a situation when one may accidentally end up having more than one account (e.g., sometimes AmEx opens a new account for you when you sign up for the AmEx Hilton card). That said, in practice, HH does not enforce this particular rule.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 4:15 pm

Thank you, sggolf I will trie it.
Old May 17, 2004, 6:33 pm
Original Member

Just curious, were you successful?
Old Jun 12, 2004, 10:56 pm
Original Member

Stopping points from being forfeited

Hi all

Like many others I have received a warning email telling me to earn some points or lose my stash of points I have built up with Hilton.

My question is - what is the cheapest way of keeping my points alive? I can transfer some points form Mypoints but are there other ways that are cheap? Does updating your profile count or is it basically that you have to earn at
least 1 point a year?

cheers Peter
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:20 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ffhound
My question is - what is the cheapest way of keeping my points alive? I can transfer some points form Mypoints but are there other ways that are cheap?
That's the cheapest--and fastest--way I can think of since you already have the mypoints. You could apply for a credit card and use it; depends on how much time you have before losing points.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:40 am
Community Director Emerita

Does updating your profile count or is it basically that you have to earn at
least 1 point a year?
I think that Hilton stopped giving us points for profile updates a year or so ago.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:28 am

You could save your miles by getting (printing) REWARD CERTIFICATES via Internet.
If you don't need them, the points can be credited back to your account.
I did this for my mother's account, to be 100% sure her points are not lost...

....access your HHonors Account Online and click on the "Rewards" tab to redeem your points online to obtain a Standard Hotel or Point Stretcher Reward Certificate number....
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Call and ask for a 1 time excemption. It works. Just don't tell anyone I told you about it.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
...what is the cheapest way of keeping my points alive? I can transfer some points form Mypoints but are there other ways that are cheap?
Cost of earning 1000 Mypoints = 0 (with email notifications). How cheap do you want this to be???

You could stay in a HH property for one night as a treat. That is a new concept - maintain your account by using HH.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
There are other threads on this topic, but I don't know how to get the urls for them since they don't show in my browser. Search forum on "expiring."
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:40 pm
SST

One way *NOT* to do it is to get a subscription to USAToday. I tried this last year for a relative's account, and gave up and had to purchase some points, because USAToday are not reliable in posting. He had been given roughly 60 days to get some activity, and USAToday can't get their act together to do it in time.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by linsj
There are other threads on this topic, but I don't know how to get the urls for them since they don't show in my browser.
Please see this thread, linsj.

Hopefully the information in that thread will assist you...
Old Jul 10, 2004, 1:14 am

Membership expiration??

Having been an HHONORS member since 1992, I would swear I've gone through a year stretch of no stays before without having my membership cancelled. But just last week I received an email stating that my membership would be cancelled the end of August if I didn't take action (i.e. stay at a Hilton).

Is this something new? Or have they just recently started cracking down on it?
Old Jul 10, 2004, 2:57 pm

As far as I know, HHonors never expires.
Old Jul 10, 2004, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Originally Posted by Laserjet
As far as I know, HHonors never expires.

NOt to be impolite, but you know incorrectly.

A quick search of this forum, or a call to HHonors, will yield you the information that accounts that have no activity for one year are subject to forfetiure (sp) of all the points in them and closure of the account

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.