Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

AXON awards discontinued February 15, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AXON awards discontinued February 15, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:16 pm

Hilton should take a page out of Southwest's playbook. When Southwest cut off the ability to get companion pass qualifying points from hotel transfers at the start of 2017 without notice, they quickly backtracked and gave people 90 days to do so. That would be quite appropriate here, and I hope someone at Hilton decides to try that.

I'm not holding my breath, however.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Most of my Hilton redemptions have been Axon awards. I'll be sending a complaint to Amex about this.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Zachary, have you turned blue yet? There is no way that HHonors will backtrack on the AXON deal. They, and AMEX, are looking out for what is good for them, not for you. There is now less competition with the SPG / Marriott merger so why should they look out for us? The loss of AXON is not unexpected. There was no advertising of it in the last couple of years. So no suprise.

Remember when it was a race to get client loyalty with ever expanding bonus'. Now it is a race to the bottom to see what can be eliminated to save money. Amex - once in a lifetime. Chase 5/24 for most cards. Citi 2 years from opening or closing any card within a family. Soon it will all be dead.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:43 pm

How do we really know that Hilton made this decision? If I were forced to bet, I'd say it was AMEX. They've been having a rough go of it lately, and surely were partially kicking in for this benefit. Plus, Hilton's been pushing Visa lately through the 5k app booking promotion, so it seems to me like AMEX is just on the way out. What's the chicken versus the egg, who knows, but this just doesn't surprise me.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
How do we really know that Hilton made this decision? If I were forced to bet, I'd say it was AMEX. They've been having a rough go of it lately, and surely were partially kicking in for this benefit. Plus, Hilton's been pushing Visa lately through the 5k app booking promotion, so it seems to me like AMEX is just on the way out. What's the chicken versus the egg, who knows, but this just doesn't surprise me.
That might be true, and the rather generous weekend night voucher Amex gave last year might supports or disputes your argument, depends on one point of view. Though as a consumer on one side I don't care, and on the other I do care so I will know how to direct my spending.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Though as a consumer on one side I don't care, and on the other I do care so I will know how to direct my spending.
"As a consumer" of financial services, AMEX is pretty much dead to me. With the exception of the flashy airport lounges, they're slashing benefits across the board and getting crushed in the premium market by Chase and friends. I've had no use for them in years.

"As a consumer" of hotels, this tiny drop in the bucket doesn't move the needle at all on my perception of the relative value propositions of the big chains, and Hilton's placements in the segment. The fact that Hilton has been relatively transparent about other things lately is one indication in my mind that makes me suspect AMEX to be behind this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
This is really messed up!

My mother was putting all sorts of bills on her Amex to cross the 220,000 point threshold for an AXON stay of 4 nights. Her bill closes, the points post, we call...

AXON has been eliminated and now the stay costs 280,000 points! Talk about moving the goalposts!!! We'd have to spend $20,000 more on our Amex to get the points in time, and there's no way we have that much to spend money on in two months. Not to mention, availability could disappear.

I can't decide whom to be furious with — Amex or Hilton? Why didn't they give us any warning? Aren't you not supposed to take away cardholder benefits within the first year of use?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Be furious no more.

A reprieve has been granted into February

AXON REPRIEVE

"Hilton HHonors members will temporarily be able to once again book AXON awards. Between this Friday and February 15, 2017, AXON awards should once again be bookable through the Hilton HHonors call center."
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Be furious no more.

A reprieve has been granted into February

AXON REPRIEVE

"Hilton HHonors members will temporarily be able to once again book AXON awards. Between this Friday and February 15, 2017, AXON awards should once again be bookable through the Hilton HHonors call center."
Great to hear! And corroborates my theory...I think AMEX pulled these and now Hilton is taking the high road. Nicely done!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Indeed, good news for sure. Cheers!
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:39 am

I guess that I should have held my breath after all.

Color me pleasantly surprised.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; IHG Platinum; Emerald Exec Elite
Tried to book AXON ... no luck

I called the Diamond desk this morning to book an AXON award. The representative had no idea what I was talking about and told me they've been discontinued. She checked with her supervisor who said the same thing. She said their system didn't show that they could book AXON. Neither she nor her supervisor knew anything about the award supposedly being back temporarily. Has anyone else tried?

Last edited by AtlantaAngel; Jan 20, 2017 at 11:43 am Reason: Typo
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Might just be a bit early. They said between Friday and . . . so it could be Saturday if it really is "between".

There has been no official announcement so maybe we are waiting on that but we do have confirmation from someone who talked to Hilton so who knows?
Old Jan 20, 2017, 4:13 pm
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Hi all,

AXON Awards will be bookable through February 15, 2017. The system was updated today and reservations can now be processed. If you have any questions, please PM me with the details of your request.

Thank you!
Lauren
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Last night I was able to book an Axon award at the Doubletree Yarrow in Park City for first week in March. Cat 5 @ 160k

Took 10+ phone calls for me to figure out i was in some purgatory of overseas call centers with the 1-800 hiltons number. Googled "axon award phone number" and was given 1-800-920-5649. Seemed to work and spent another 15 min waiting on hold to get it booked. Not an easy process, but most things worth doing require some effort i suppose.

I have a feeling the redemption value was a little on the low side but hard to be choosy in ski towns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.