Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 1998, 11:29 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Arrow [ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

I just had my first bad experience with a Hilton - Hilton & Towers in San Fransisco.

Reserved a 1 night stay for a business trip. Called the hotel's reservation manager and confirmed the use of a "Confirmed Upgrade Certificate" (code UP).

Are you following this? I had confirmation of the confirmed upgrade.

When I check in, the Towers room is scratched off the folio in pencil, and they write in a "nice" room in a different building. No towers service or lounge.

The HHonors Customer Service people want me to fax in a letter.

Has anyone experienced this before? I was promised that these purchased upgrades were not capacity controlled - if they had a Towers room available when I called, I would get it. Do they bump "upgrades" for "revenue reservations"? Do I ask for my money back on the booklet of 5 certificates?

Any thoughts before I write the letter?

Thanks

Dave
Old Nov 11, 1998, 12:43 pm
Commander Catcop

NJ David... This might be worth writing Inside Flyer about (or talking to Randy Wednesday night on TalkCity if you are up then.) But I'll try my analysis:

It seems very strange that Hilton would CONFIRM your upgrade and then not give it to you. Did they explain why they took it away? The bigger question: did you get any
reservation confirmation that that upgrade
was going to be honored (When I make reservations over the phone, I ask for the hotel to mail me a written confirmation. The
more documentation the better.) DO you have any paperwork that says UP on it? Then they
owe you the upgrade!

I did not know that Hilton sells upgrade certificates (usually get mine complentary or
the upgrade certificates I get from Optima or
Hilton themselves.)

They should honor teh upgrade request or give you your money back.

Before Faxing I would give the Hilton Service
Center a call (it's NOT toll free, one issue
I have with Hilton) and talk to a LIVE Person
before faxing. Get the name and ask them to check into the reservation. (they should have
it in their computer bank.)

Then fax them the documentation. You should
ask for the upgrades back (in money or if you want in HHonors points.)

Hope this helps. Maybe someone else can explain it better! Good Luck and let us know the outcome! CATMAN
Old Nov 11, 1998, 12:47 pm
Commander Catcop

One more observation: The Hilton Hotel and Towers San Fran is a convention hotel. I'm thinking reservations may have given you the
upgrade but the dumb hotel probably overbooked on the conventioneers and decided
to start moving people around.

Ask HIlton about this... This sounds very bad of HIlton (which I'll remember when voting
for the Freddies!) CATMAN

Old Nov 11, 1998, 3:07 pm
Original Member

OK, I know this is a bit extreme, but what I'd do is mail Hilton a letter stating what you posted here, and your HHonors card cut into 4 or 5 pieces.

Unless they are really stupid, they will get the message.
Old Nov 11, 1998, 3:48 pm
pgupta011

I think that they goofed up big time. I have on a couple of occasions encountered a situation where a hotel (I will not name names here so as not to bias Catman's vote) could not give me a room on a confirmed reservation, and both times they put me up on another hotel providing a cab to and from the hotel, and they also gave me a certificate for a free night. You should definitely ask for some compensation.

Old Nov 11, 1998, 9:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I'm not completely surprised by this although I've never had it happen to me. Confirmed reservations (even those guaranteed for late arrival with a credit card) at hotels no longer mean you are guaranteed a room, let alone an upgrade. I have seen and have had colleagues who have encountered situations where hotels have given away the room even though the room was guaranteed for late arrival. This has happened a number of times at the leading hotel that could be expected to challenge Hilton for the Freddie award - and to Platinum level members no less! (Gee, did I give it away!) I now make it a rule that if I plan on arriving later than 10 PM to a hotel, that I make a call to them that day stating I will be arriving very late and expect them to hold my room. It's pathetic that this is necessary, but I guess that is what is needed when hotel are nearly always booked to capacity.
Old Nov 12, 1998, 2:09 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
NJDavid: If I was you I would be going for a big time gesture of 'good faith' from Hilton.

But before you make your formal complaint to Hilton, can I remind you of the small print relating to 'Confirmable Upgrades', Hilton are alomost certain to throw this at you.

- "If your reservation is confirmed at the published retail rate, the US standard rate, Corporate or O/Seas Exec rate, your room upgrade IS confirmable."

- "Confirmable Upgrades do not apply to convention, meeting, Bounceback, government, military, airline, travel agent or package rates"

- If a Towers room is unavailable, the agent will confirm the best available room (excluding suites and villas).

Personally, I have never bothered to use a Room Upgrade Certificate and have always (with one exception - and boy did I moan, and did they appologise) been upgraded.

The irony is that if you make a complaint, Hilton will probably treat is a part of their "Guaranteed Hospitality" scheme... under which they will give you a...? Room Upgrade Certificate as compensation!!

MF

Old Nov 12, 1998, 1:04 pm
Commander Catcop

Compensation is a great idea, NJDavid. I think Hilton will carry through and give you something.

Learned the hard way MileKing about calling
if you are checking in late. I got stuck
in a plane that was five hours late, got in
11:30 p-m and the hotel (which I will not name here but it was not one of the Freddie contenders) said "sorry, we gave your room away." I told them I was physically and mentally exausted and was ready to undress and go to sleep on that nice sofa in the lobby if I didn't get a room. Then like magic I got a room but the desk clerk whined
"Next time call us if you are going to be late."

So I call to confirm the week before (if possible) and if late call. That happened with the Westin Maui and the very pretty desk
agent said over the phone "We're open 24 hours a day so we'll be waiting for you."

FYI: When I vote for the Freddies, I judge things based on MY experiences. Your critiques of hotels/airlines etc just give me
a better measuring stick when I Travel. I can't be bought! CATMAN
Old Dec 8, 1998, 10:26 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
The winner of the predictable irony contest is Merry Flyer who correctly predicted the following:

"The irony is that if you make a complaint, Hilton will probably treat is a part of their "Guaranteed Hospitality" scheme... under which they will give you a...? Room Upgrade Certificate as compensation!! "

That and 2000 extra HHonors points. However, I was told to expect a personal response from the GM of the SF Hilton...maybe there'll be more comps forthcoming. I'll wait, but I expect a refund of at least the cost of the certificate booklet.

Dave
Old Dec 8, 1998, 11:48 am
Commander Catcop

NJDavid... I hope you get what you deserve from Hilton, prefertable your upgrades refunded to you (or even better a free night or two at a special Hilton.)

I can do without the nice letter. Westin has almost always writes me after my stays (I always fill out those customer comment surveys at all the hotels I stay in!) even if
Nothing spectacular happens (I think they are form letters anyway!) No bonus points from Westin though.

Letters are a nice touch, but I think I would want something of value (points, upgrades, etc!)
CATMAN
Old Dec 21, 1998, 5:45 pm
Original Member

Were they renovating the Towers area when you checked in?

I was just there and the elevator area to the
Towers area was blocked off. I heard that the hotel is renovating during the slow periods...

We were upgraded from a standard room to a
corner suite using our VIP Gold. It was a
nice room, but not the Towers...
Old Dec 22, 1998, 3:58 am
Original Member
Original Poster

No, it was finally described to me as "human error". They claim they never recorded the "confirmed" status of the upgrade on the reservation.

In addition to the upgrade certificate, they have arranged for an upgrade at a reward stay at another Hilton property as a courtesy. They also told me to call in advance of my next SFO trip.

DJD
Old Jan 19, 2000, 7:53 pm

Programs: Free agent
Arrow Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

As a Diamond VIP what can I expect from this hotel as far as upgrades and welcome amenities for a normal weekend stay?
Old Jan 21, 2000, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
availability of upgraded rooms may depend on whether or not there's a big-deal convention in town or at the hotel at the time.

i stayed there for 5 days during a jam-packed conference a couple of years ago and got an upgraded junior suite without asking - it was a fairly large room in the non-towers portion of the hotel and had been specifically set aside for me (i'm diamond).

but i asked about towers lounge access and was told no.
Old Jun 19, 2000, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Arrow Hilton San Francisco Union Square {US-CA}

I am curious as to anyone's recent experience here. I will be staying there again soon, and have stayed there a couple times over the past several years. The last experience was horrendous, but I thought I'd give it one more try a year and 1/2 later.

How generous are they with Gold upgraded rooms? Is there a club level? Even if I'm not on that level, do I receive access? And so on.

My last stay, in 1999, I was treated to an error in the reservation, the lack of security to keep toothless hookers out of the elevators (no joke), and a myriad of other unpleasantries, including with the parking lot (which accused me of not having the proper ticket, though I had exactly what the attendant gave me... causing a delay in car retrieval).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.