Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2001, 12:36 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Arrow Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}

Just some observations:

* No HHonors Gold Upgrade
* 1/2 bottle of wine in room instead of free continental breakfast
* 2 light bulbs blown
* No air conditioning and window in bathroom didn't open
* Wrong room service order - no apology, no credit
* Cooked breakfast is £29.99 - about US$50
(can anyone beat this on price?)
* Single bed - and I mean single bed
* No sofa or comfortable chair in room
* Newspapers are chargeable
* 11AM CHECKOUT! No extensions!

I'll not be back again!
Old Jun 18, 2001, 10:58 am
In Memoriam

I quite liked my stay here--upgraded on an award stay (as a silver no less) to a room with a fantastic view of the castle. Service was good and accommodating. The cooked breakfast price, though, was outrageous!! I know someone else on this board got upgraded to a suite also on a stay, so you must have just hit on a bad day. If you are interested, you can do a search (on Caledonian or Edinburgh) and read more about it.

I would definitely stay here again.

[This message has been edited by TravelWeary (edited 06-18-2001).]
Old Jun 18, 2001, 11:38 am
Gus

I'll dig out yesterdays Mail on Sunday, there was a Hilton promotion for some scottish hotels, stick with me
Old Jun 18, 2001, 11:54 am
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Markie:
Just some observations:

* No HHonors Gold Upgrade
* 1/2 bottle of wine in room instead of free continental breakfast
* 2 light bulbs blown
* No air conditioning and window in bathroom didn't open
* Wrong room service order - no apology, no credit
* Cooked breakfast is £29.99 - about US$50
(can anyone beat this on price?)
* Single bed - and I mean single bed
* No sofa or comfortable chair in room
* Newspapers are chargeable
* 11AM CHECKOUT! No extensions!

I'll not be back again!
</font>

Unfortunately, if you CAREFULLY read the HHonors rules, they are well within their rights with respect to items 1 and 2 that you have listed. Further, when they write single, they mean single. They are not obligated to upgrade you if there is no space.

I do not know if the Caledonin hotel is air conditioned for some older Hiltons( London Green Park) are not. IF they were supposed to be, then, that as well as some of the other items that you have cited cry out for an adjsutment.

However, I would have thought that being a UK resident, that you would have known that single rooms and non-air conditiioned hotels are common in Europe, especially at older hotels. Moreover, there IS a reason, why a SINGLE room COSTS LESS than a DOUBLE. One should not expect to receive an upgrade when one books a room, but of course, that would be nice.

It seems to me that your expectations were way, way ahead of the potential realities of your stay, and perhaps you inadverdantly or deliberately communicated your displeasure to the hotel staff, which prompted the type of service you received?

Fianlly, at older hotels that do not specifically list A/C, you must always inquire if there is any or whether it is limited to just meeting rooms and/or suites.

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 06-18-2001).]

Old Jun 18, 2001, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat-2MM, Marriott Life Titanium, Hyatt something
Just a humorous note. When I read the title of this thread I though, gee $50 for a room with breakfast and more in Edinburgh sounds like a great deal!

I think I've spent too much time reading that priceline message board!

If you don't count those Sunday brunch gorge-yourself buffets, I've never come close to US$50 for breakfast. And I hope I never do!

Charles
Old Jun 18, 2001, 5:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Well, it doesn't quite compare, but the breakfast buffet at the Niagara Falls Hilton was about $30US. Having stayed at the Niagara Falls property and having stayed at the Caledonian, beleive me, the rip off is in Niagara Falls, not in Edinburgh.

The "Cally" is a magnificent old fashioned hotel opposite the castle. I'm sure some of their rooms must leave soemthing to be desired, but that true anywhere. The last time I was there it was on a inexpensive BA hotel package, price was about $150 US for a double room with full breakast. AND they upgraded us to a nicer room. And that was before I had any status with Hilton and probaly before the Caledonian was a Hilton.
Old Jun 18, 2001, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

DOC 2 BE

In fact in Europe single room usually have a single supplment which pretty much equates to the double rate. The room rate for the stay was £135 - $225.

I only told the person on the way out of the hotel that I wasn't happy.

My expectations - well it would be nice, just once in a while if hotels could get some basic things right - the room service meal, the upgrade (the hotel was far from full and as my amenity was in my room when I arrived, the upgrade is clearly NOT based on the 'Best Room at Check-in' mantra) - the light bulbs (does the maid even look?)
Old Jun 19, 2001, 1:28 am
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Markie:
DOC 2 BE

In fact in Europe single room usually have a single supplment which pretty much equates to the double rate. The room rate for the stay was £135 - $225.

I only told the person on the way out of the hotel that I wasn't happy.

My expectations - well it would be nice, just once in a while if hotels could get some basic things right - the room service meal, the upgrade (the hotel was far from full and as my amenity was in my room when I arrived, the upgrade is clearly NOT based on the 'Best Room at Check-in' mantra) - the light bulbs (does the maid even look?)
</font>
Markie --

I certainly sympathize and am in agreement with you concerning the general state of affairs that you seemed to have encountered at the hotel while there. However, if you are disatissfied, you MUST communicate your unhappiness at check-in, or most certainly while you are there, and not before you leave, as only prior to your departure do you have any ability to effect any sort of change. Further, there is a subtle yet signifcant difference in the T & C re the room upgrade and amenity that is to be offered at US Hiltons vs. non-US Hiltons. I am not the first to note that in the US, a room upgrade is "guaranteed" (at least on paper) whenever possible and so is some sort of breakfast, since either access to the lounge or breakfast is specifically noted to be given to the HHonors Gold or Diamond guest. Unfortunately, while exec. upgrades are likewise guaranteed on paper, breakfast is not assured at non-US Hiltons for some other special amenity may be substituted and given to the HHonors guest.

Moreover, even if the hotel did not appear to be full to you, the executive level may have been booked solid.

See Below for Hilton T & C:

"Upgraded Accommodations/Amenities: HHonors Gold VIP members are offered upgraded accommodations or amenities at HHonors hotels. The type of upgraded accommodation or amenity varies by type of hotel, as follows:

At US Hilton Hotels, and at Conrad and Doubletree hotels with Towers or Executive Levels, Gold VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Towers or Executive Level floor, whenever possible. In cases when Towers or Executive Level accommodations have been fully booked, Gold VIP members will be offered the use of the Towers or Executive Level lounge, including complimentary continental breakfast each morning. At hotels without a Towers or Executive Level, Gold VIPs will receive complimentary continental breakfast each day of the stay. And in hotels at which a complimentary breakfast is a benefit for all guests, Gold VIPs will be offered a special amenity as an expression of our appreciation.

At Hilton hotels outside the U.S. with Executive Floors, Gold VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Executive Floor, whenever possible. In cases when there are no Executive Floors or where Executive Floor accommodations have been fully booked, Gold VIP members will be offered a complimentary continental breakfast each morning or an alternative special amenity."

This is not to say that any of us can ever have any concrete knowledge whether or not the hotel is leveling with us when they say they cannot upgrade you. I would have tried calling the UK toll free # to see if they, indeed, had shown sold out rooms for the executive floor, and I would have demurred the hotel's offer of the wine by saying that I am a teetolar, or am allergic to the sulfites that may have been present in the wine, and then insisted on the breakfast.

As to the room and the room service's shortcomings, I would have immediately contacted mangmn't and demanded some explanation and compensation as they are supposedly a first class hotel. I would have noted that their screw up was all the more reason why breakfast was to be provided as a complementary amenity as they seem unable to provide you with what you had ordered by was of room service!

I thank you for the warning, as I will be on my guard when staying there. As to your indication that a supplement is applied to those travelling alone, I have not found that to be the case, and when it is, it is clearly stated when first reserving the room. In that circumstance, an alternate hotel perhaps may have been the better choice.

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 06-19-2001).]

Old Jun 20, 2001, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

DOC 2 BE - thanks for the comments. Indeed, perhaps I should have been more vocal in my complaints. There are days, and some people will not believe this, when I don't feel like complaining.

I have written to the GM and will post when I get a reply. I did indeed tell the hotel about the room service problem, and indeed all the other problems, on check-out. They weren't overly concerned!

I have, as you suggested, changed my future bookings to the Grosvenor Hilton and Sheraton with the hope that the experience will be better.
Old Jun 21, 2001, 12:36 am
DOC 2 BE

Markie:

Certainly understand about not haveing the energy to complain. My wife is a tough as nails attorney who actually pracices, unlike me who left the law to pursue other interests, and she has no desire to argue over such matters when she does that day in and day out. It is left to me to do this, which is fine, as I don't have to do it much anymore, and since it is somewhat different from my usual doings, it is actually an intellectual challenge. But, for someone who is on the road travelling, etc., I can only guess how wearisome it is, not only to argue about what is appropriate, but merely to be inconvenienced by such things.

I hope that your stays at these other hotels are more in line with the definition of an innkeeper's duty to his/her guests.

I look forward to your report on these properties, and if you are ever there in December, can you tell me how wild Edingburgh gets during Hogmanny?

Old Jun 21, 2001, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

You can say that Edinburgh get VERY wild at New Year - lots of people walking round with cans of beer under their arms so they don't have to queue at the pubs!

If you enjoy loud, good natured, drunked parties - it's pretty special!
Old Feb 27, 2003, 5:06 pm

Caledonian Hilton--award stay

Here's a slightly overdue report on our award stay (GLONP) at the Caledonian Hilton in Edinburgh early in February. Sadly, we were only able to stay for five of the six nights--and that is about the only not-good thing there was to say about our stay!

We (my husband and I) got a really beautiful room with a view of the castle. We were on the first floor--what U.S. folk would call the second floor--and the room was very comfortable and larger than I expected. We were actually about 1 1/2 stories up, which gave us a good look at street-level points of interest as well as the castle up above. Noise was not an issue.

The bathroom was huge with one of the best showers I have ever experienced! We were greeted at the tub by a little green nessie, complete with the Caledonian logo. I don't know if the room was an upgrade or not (we are Hhonors Gold), but it felt like one.

We received complimentary continental breakfast in the restaurant each morning. One morning we decided to splurge on the hot breakfast (including great haggis!).

Housekeeping was perfect--the place was spotless, top to bottom. Some nights they left us a large bottle of water, and on one night we got a nice bottle of red wine. I don't know why we got it, but it was appreciated! Other nights we stopped at the pub downstairs for a wee nip of Talisker as a nightcap.

The business center was great. There were three computers available, though only one had internet access. On the upside, it was a true high-speed connection. Charge was 3 pounds for 15 minutes.

We did burn through some points to stay at the Caledonian, but we thought it was more than worthwhile for those in the mood for a treat (and we were). There is probably no better place to stay in this beautiful city. Many thanks to all the FTers who shared those tips for earning extra points--you helped us to get there!
Old Feb 29, 2004, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Caledonian Hilton Edinburgh ( Princes Street)

Hi,

Date of stay : Friday 27th February
1 night
Room 144
Rate Booked £120( Double deluxe)
I arrived at the hotel about 11pm after a few drinks at work as one of my managers was leaving after 35years service.

No queue at check in and I was told that I had been put into a Junior suite.
I took up the lift up to the 1st floor ( more accurately the second flooras there is a Mezzanine/Entresol level) and opened the door.
The room was excellent and large with a entrance hall with a dressing table and cupboard with bathrobes, the bedroom with a large bed and a partially separate sitting room with a tv and sofa. There was a partial wall between the bedroom/sitting room.
The bathroom was off to the side and was very large with Molton Brown toiletires. The room faced towards the corner of Princes Street and Lothian road. The bathroom had a window to the world so I lowered the curtain to protect the world from my physique
The room had proper chandiliers and the wall paper had fleur de lys. The room was practically immaculate.

There was also a note from the General Manager ( personnally addressed and signed) ,a plate of red grpes and a half bottle of red wine .

The breakfast buffet in Chisolms the next morning was very good ( £15 for the full breakfast-included in my rate)

I went to the Living well fitness centre for a quick workout. My floor had direct lift access to it( otherwise you have to head via the ground floor) and as I walked along some of the full suites were being cleaned and a quick glance as I walked by seemed to suggest the bathrooms were large.

The fitness room is large and well equipped and there is a pool also ( smaller than other Hiltons's in the UK ie EDI airport) but fine with a spa and an adjacent childrens pool.

Checkout was done before 11am and was done quickly.

The public areas are all extremely nice and well maintained.

Overall an excellent hotel in an ideal location ( some rooms would face the castle) and recommeded if you come north of the border

Regards

TBS

[This message has been edited by The _Banking_Scot (edited Feb 29, 2004).]
Old Feb 29, 2004, 5:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Stayed there, got upgraded to a suite with the castle view. This property is one of my favorites. Loved it!!!!

Got the same treatment. Red wine, fruit plate, a personalized letter from the manager. I was impressed as a Gold.
Old Feb 29, 2004, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I stayed there at the end of January for 2 nights and was put into a suite (not asked for), with the parlor room up 3 stairs from the bedroom. Perhaps the suite assignment was due to ajamieson leaving a goody bag for me, which they brought me as I was checking in. (Thanks, again, Alistair.) The bed was incredibly comfy. I never ate in the restaurant, but room service food was delivered hot and quickly. I especially liked the haggis balls in whiskey sauce.

There was a wedding party arriving at the hotel just as I stepped out of my taxi. A piper was piping them into the hotel, but in my mind I made believe it was for me. Great welcome once I got to the front desk, too. Took the little Nessie on the tub for my great neice. I would definitely stay here again and hope to oneday.

[This message has been edited by Nanook (edited Feb 29, 2004).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.