FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}
Old Jun 18, 2001, 11:54 am
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Markie:
Just some observations:

* No HHonors Gold Upgrade
* 1/2 bottle of wine in room instead of free continental breakfast
* 2 light bulbs blown
* No air conditioning and window in bathroom didn't open
* Wrong room service order - no apology, no credit
* Cooked breakfast is £29.99 - about US$50
(can anyone beat this on price?)
* Single bed - and I mean single bed
* No sofa or comfortable chair in room
* Newspapers are chargeable
* 11AM CHECKOUT! No extensions!

I'll not be back again!
</font>

Unfortunately, if you CAREFULLY read the HHonors rules, they are well within their rights with respect to items 1 and 2 that you have listed. Further, when they write single, they mean single. They are not obligated to upgrade you if there is no space.

I do not know if the Caledonin hotel is air conditioned for some older Hiltons( London Green Park) are not. IF they were supposed to be, then, that as well as some of the other items that you have cited cry out for an adjsutment.

However, I would have thought that being a UK resident, that you would have known that single rooms and non-air conditiioned hotels are common in Europe, especially at older hotels. Moreover, there IS a reason, why a SINGLE room COSTS LESS than a DOUBLE. One should not expect to receive an upgrade when one books a room, but of course, that would be nice.

It seems to me that your expectations were way, way ahead of the potential realities of your stay, and perhaps you inadverdantly or deliberately communicated your displeasure to the hotel staff, which prompted the type of service you received?

Fianlly, at older hotels that do not specifically list A/C, you must always inquire if there is any or whether it is limited to just meeting rooms and/or suites.

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 06-18-2001).]