FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian {GBR}
Old Jun 19, 2001, 1:28 am
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Markie:
DOC 2 BE

In fact in Europe single room usually have a single supplment which pretty much equates to the double rate. The room rate for the stay was £135 - $225.

I only told the person on the way out of the hotel that I wasn't happy.

My expectations - well it would be nice, just once in a while if hotels could get some basic things right - the room service meal, the upgrade (the hotel was far from full and as my amenity was in my room when I arrived, the upgrade is clearly NOT based on the 'Best Room at Check-in' mantra) - the light bulbs (does the maid even look?)
</font>
Markie --

I certainly sympathize and am in agreement with you concerning the general state of affairs that you seemed to have encountered at the hotel while there. However, if you are disatissfied, you MUST communicate your unhappiness at check-in, or most certainly while you are there, and not before you leave, as only prior to your departure do you have any ability to effect any sort of change. Further, there is a subtle yet signifcant difference in the T & C re the room upgrade and amenity that is to be offered at US Hiltons vs. non-US Hiltons. I am not the first to note that in the US, a room upgrade is "guaranteed" (at least on paper) whenever possible and so is some sort of breakfast, since either access to the lounge or breakfast is specifically noted to be given to the HHonors Gold or Diamond guest. Unfortunately, while exec. upgrades are likewise guaranteed on paper, breakfast is not assured at non-US Hiltons for some other special amenity may be substituted and given to the HHonors guest.

Moreover, even if the hotel did not appear to be full to you, the executive level may have been booked solid.

See Below for Hilton T & C:

"Upgraded Accommodations/Amenities: HHonors Gold VIP members are offered upgraded accommodations or amenities at HHonors hotels. The type of upgraded accommodation or amenity varies by type of hotel, as follows:

At US Hilton Hotels, and at Conrad and Doubletree hotels with Towers or Executive Levels, Gold VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Towers or Executive Level floor, whenever possible. In cases when Towers or Executive Level accommodations have been fully booked, Gold VIP members will be offered the use of the Towers or Executive Level lounge, including complimentary continental breakfast each morning. At hotels without a Towers or Executive Level, Gold VIPs will receive complimentary continental breakfast each day of the stay. And in hotels at which a complimentary breakfast is a benefit for all guests, Gold VIPs will be offered a special amenity as an expression of our appreciation.

At Hilton hotels outside the U.S. with Executive Floors, Gold VIPs will be provided with a guest room on the Executive Floor, whenever possible. In cases when there are no Executive Floors or where Executive Floor accommodations have been fully booked, Gold VIP members will be offered a complimentary continental breakfast each morning or an alternative special amenity."

This is not to say that any of us can ever have any concrete knowledge whether or not the hotel is leveling with us when they say they cannot upgrade you. I would have tried calling the UK toll free # to see if they, indeed, had shown sold out rooms for the executive floor, and I would have demurred the hotel's offer of the wine by saying that I am a teetolar, or am allergic to the sulfites that may have been present in the wine, and then insisted on the breakfast.

As to the room and the room service's shortcomings, I would have immediately contacted mangmn't and demanded some explanation and compensation as they are supposedly a first class hotel. I would have noted that their screw up was all the more reason why breakfast was to be provided as a complementary amenity as they seem unable to provide you with what you had ordered by was of room service!

I thank you for the warning, as I will be on my guard when staying there. As to your indication that a supplement is applied to those travelling alone, I have not found that to be the case, and when it is, it is clearly stated when first reserving the room. In that circumstance, an alternate hotel perhaps may have been the better choice.

[This message has been edited by DOC 2 BE (edited 06-19-2001).]