Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:24 am

Hi:
New to the forum but have been reading it forever. I am renting this July from LAX. I am PC, but booked a G class, as we are doing 4000+ miles in 27 days. I need good trunk space, decent fuel consumption, and a nice comfortable car, with great AC and sound system. (2 adults 1 child).

My understanding is I get the G class reserved, but could pick up anything from the PC section, right? My problem is I live in Europe and do not know the American models.

Could someone help me to make a priority list on what to choose when the time comes? (So I can make a good choice)

Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Chiquitorl
Hi:

My understanding is I get the G class reserved, but could pick up anything from the PC section, right? My problem is I live in Europe and do not know the American models.
Welcome!

Can't really help you on US models - I have no real clue. I tend to always end up booking a Chrysler 300 - never really been disappointed. Maybe not as big as some Americans are used to - but it always gives us a smooth ride.

We have booked another in SFO in 3 weeks time.

When I look at the PC aisle, I have no idea what I am looking at, plus it is always dark!

Hopefully someone will chip in with much better advise for non-Americans.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Welcome!

Can't really help you on US models - I have no real clue. I tend to always end up booking a Chrysler 300 - never really been disappointed. Maybe not as big as some Americans are used to - but it always gives us a smooth ride.

We have booked another in SFO in 3 weeks time.

When I look at the PC aisle, I have no idea what I am looking at, plus it is always dark!

Hopefully someone will chip in with much better advise for non-Americans.
Exactly what will happen to me! Thanks
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Chiquitorl!

Here's the list of frequently-assigned Premium (G) cars in the US:

Premium (G, PCAR/PDAR)
Buick Regal G PCAR
Chevrolet Impala (2014+) G, F, YF PCAR, PDAR (27 mpg)
Ford Taurus G PCAR
Hyundai Genesis G PCAR
Nissan Maxima G PCAR (27 mpg)
Volkswagen CC G PCAR
Volvo S60 G PCAR

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...17-thread.html

In general, the Chevrolet Impala is pretty common. I've also seen quite a few Nissan Maximas; they are both fine, but I prefer the Maxima.

The following thread can be used to inquire about any other Premium cars common to LAX: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ct-thread.html
Old Jul 1, 2017, 11:07 pm

Hi:
New to the forum but have been reading it forever. I am renting this July from LAX. I am PC, but booked a G class, as we are doing 4000+ miles in 27 days. I need good trunk space, decent fuel consumption, and a nice comfortable car, with great AC and sound system. (2 adults 1 child).

Could someone help me to make a priority list on what to choose when the time comes? (So I can make a good choice)

Thanks!
The things you want depend more on trim level than exact model. For example, there are basic Chevy Impalas with no nav and cloth seats, or fully loaded ones with leather and safety features. You'll just have to look inside the cars when you get there. Generally whether it has leather seats is a good indicator of whether it has other good stuff, because leather is usually part of a package. Also look to see if there's a brand badge on the speakers, such as Bose.

I believe they will probably assign you a G car but you could pick from the PC section. The most common G car is a Chevy Impala, which is about as big a sedan as you'll find. It's a nice big car but again you'll have to see the trim level to see what's in it.

"American model" is not as clear cut as it used to be; there are certain Toyota and Kia cars made in America, and certain Fords made in Mexico and certain Chryslers made in Canada.

In terms of American brands, Ford has really stepped up its game and offers a lot of great cars with advanced features, but Hertz doesn't carry a lot of them. Lincoln is Ford's luxury brand. Chevy is decent, though I find their sedans boring. Buick and GMC are basically the same cars as Chevy (all GM) but with different sheetmetal. Cadillacs are fancy GM cars but they are a clear cut above. Dodge is the most performance-oriented brand. Chrysler 300 is a nice entry-level luxury car. The new Chrysler Pacifica is basically a luxury minivan.

My advice is to allot yourself some time to walk the lot and have your smartphone ready to look up specific cars as you see them for reviews. Then check the trim levels and look inside the cars themselves to see if they have the features you want.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 3:29 am

Thanks a lot. Check on the trim tip and Maxima over Impala.

What I meant with American models was "models for the American market". My European Accord is close to an Accura there, etc.

My guess is that unless there is an Infinity SUV or a Mercedes or similar car at the PC lot, I should stick to the G selection based on equipment (thanks for the Bose tip).

Cheers!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: Hertz President Circle, National Executive Elite.
Hi:

Thanks!
IN Lax i've seen a bunch of Impala's.. if you call ahead you might be able to reserve one of the two maxima's that the location has.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Reserved a PCAR from SEA and got assigned a Caddy XTS but took a cruise through the PC selection just to see (first time at SEA since they got UC).

The lot was jam-packed (and they even had cones all through their other lanes with tons of overflow cars--July 4 tends to actually come with a downturn of demand across the rental industry, except in cities where it's common for people to not own cars and then rent cars to get out of town on holidays), but it was mostly a sea of Hyundais, Toyotas, etc. The only two cars of interest were an Avalon and a Jaguar of some type I didn't catch any specifics about.

Caddy was basically a tricked-out Impala LTZ but was great to drive around SEA for a day.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:37 am

Thanks a lot. Check on the trim tip and Maxima over Impala.

What I meant with American models was "models for the American market". My European Accord is close to an Accura there, etc.

My guess is that unless there is an Infinity SUV or a Mercedes or similar car at the PC lot, I should stick to the G selection based on equipment (thanks for the Bose tip).

Cheers!
Glad to help.

Hertz has a ton of Kia and Hyundai, which are solid cars often made in America but Hertz usually only carries the lower trim levels so you're unlikely to find a fancy one.

Hertz usually has a selection of Chrysler 300s, I may be alone here (never driven a Benz myself) but I think they're good cars, so add it to your list of cars to look for. It's a big fast sedan and they have at least a V6. If you see one with a Hemi badge on it, go for it, no question.

Infiniti is a souped up Nissan and I think you can do better but they're certainly not bad.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:54 pm

For some reason, booking a small pickup truck at my local airport is cheaper than booking an Intermediate car. If I booked a small pickup, would I still be able to walk over to the PC UC area and take any car? I am a PC member
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Sixt DIA, Hertz PC, Europcar Elite VIP
Originally Posted by xeron72548
For some reason, booking a small pickup truck at my local airport is cheaper than booking an Intermediate car. If I booked a small pickup, would I still be able to walk over to the PC UC area and take any car? I am a PC member
"
Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate."

i'd say.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Pretty happy with the Ultimate Choice so far... In LAS, lots of nice vehicles in PC... I took the LR Discovery just to try it out. Several Mercedes SUVs (GLC, GLS) as well as a Mercedes SLC convertible were also in the PC group.

In ORD, PC had a few Infinitis but I used the $25 upgrade to get a Jaguar XE sedan.

These are way better than any upgrades I have ever received... (with a higher probability of actually getting a nice vehicle)
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:38 pm

Ultimate Choice - Dream Cars?

Hi -

PC member here. Coming to LAX in late August for a fun trip with the wife. A couple of questions, because this is not clear:

a. Ultimate Choice is just an expression, so to speak, right? In other words, it just means that instead of getting assigned car, I now get an assigned area (PC area) and then I can pick any car? In other words, if I was not PC and just some guy off the street I would still have UC as an option, just from the cars in the lower tier. Am I right?

b. Assuming the above is correct, how does the $25 upgrade option work? What am I upgrading too? Since I am PC, and I have the right to any car in the PC section, what cars are part of the upgrade set and how do I know how to find them?

Are the Dream Cars like Porsche 911, etc. part of the $25 upgrade?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jakemalloy
Hi -

PC member here. Coming to LAX in late August for a fun trip with the wife. A couple of questions, because this is not clear:

a. Ultimate Choice is just an expression, so to speak, right? In other words, it just means that instead of getting assigned car, I now get an assigned area (PC area) and then I can pick any car? In other words, if I was not PC and just some guy off the street I would still have UC as an option, just from the cars in the lower tier. Am I right?

b. Assuming the above is correct, how does the $25 upgrade option work? What am I upgrading too? Since I am PC, and I have the right to any car in the PC section, what cars are part of the upgrade set and how do I know how to find them?

Are the Dream Cars like Porsche 911, etc. part of the $25 upgrade?
A: Yes, choose any car from the PC area. If you've opted into 'Carfirmation' mobile or email alerts, you'll get a message saying "Reserved class: " and "When you arrive: Go to President's Circle section" (assuming you've reserved I-F). If you're off the street with no loyalty status, booking C through F classes, you go to an aisle and choose which car in that class you prefer. Since you're PC, if you book I class or higher, you can choose from PC, Five Star, Gold, F, I, C, and the class you reserved if it's higher than F.

B: Sometimes cars in PC are no better than Fullsize or Premium (G), so you might want a Premium Upgrade. There have been discussions in the "Consolidated Renting at LAX what car to expect" thread as to whats available but you can expect cars like Mercedes GLA, C class vehicles, Jaguar, Range Rover, Infiniti Q60, Q70, and the like. You won't find Dream cars in this section though.

Someone posted a video about Ultimate Choice on
and their experience in Atlanta, could give you an idea on how it all works and how it's laid out.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:23 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I think jim32190 answered most of your questions. Just a couple of things to add:

1. Dream cars are NOT a part of the $25 upgrade. Sometimes there are some decent vehicles worth upgrading to for $25/day, but I don't think anyone has ever gotten a Porsche Anything for the $25 upgrade fee (speak up if you have).

2. With UC it's probably not worth using an upgrade coupon. Better to use a $-off or %-off coupon instead as you will have much better value with that, especially as PC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.