Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Questions regarding specific locations (eg, "I am Renting From XXX; What Might I Get?") may be moved to specific/dedicated threads for that location. All major airport codes may be searched using FlyerTalk's search engine; otherwise, words in " " quotation marks will bypass the character limit filter.

Overview of Service and List of Existing and Future Airport Locations: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produ...ate_choice.jsp

Am I Eligible? Is My Vehicle Eligible?

Q. Who can use Ultimate Choice?
Any member of the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program is eligible to use Ultimate Choice. The areas you can select from depend on your status in the program (President's Circle, Five Star, or Gold).

Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You can book anything other than an Economy (A), Compact (B), or Manager's Special (EXAR) vehicle, and be eligible for Ultimate Choice.

Q. What if I book a lower class such as Economy or Compact or Manager's Special?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class (or higher, as a complimentary upgrade) in a marked space.

Q. What happens if I book a Economy or Compact but pick a higher-class car from Ultimate Choice?
A. You will likely be asked to pay the midsize rental rate by the gate agent.

Q. What if I book a Fullsize car but find a lower class car in Ultimate Choice that I like better?
A. You may chose to take it, but you will pay the originally-booked Fullsize rate.

Q. What if I book a Adrenaline/Electric/Hybrid/Luxury/Prestige car or a Minivan/Truck/SUV?
A. You will be assigned a car from that class in a marked space. You can either accept it or chose a car from Ultimate Choice.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for one-way rentals?
A. Yes.

Q. Can I use Ultimate Choice for award rentals?
A. Yes, provided the reservation is for a mid-size car or higher.

Print Wikipost

Questions/Discussion About Hertz Ultimate Choice Service

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:54 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by SKYEG
Anyone know if you can still use ultimate choice for one way rentals?

I have LAX-SNA coming up in 2 days. Hertz is half the price of National right now. National still gives me exec select aisle access.

Thanks!
Yes, you can. If you are a Gold member who books an intermediate or above at a UC location, you can pick from your status level area regardless of whether it's a roundtrip or one-way rental.

Same applies for the upgrades section for $35/day ($25/day for PC members).
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, you can. If you are a Gold member who books an intermediate or above at a UC location, you can pick from your status level area regardless of whether it's a roundtrip or one-way rental.

Same applies for the upgrades section for $35/day ($25/day for PC members).
This is great news, thank you for such a speedy response!!!

Right now Hertz is $50 USD for the OW, National is double at $100 USD. Even with the $25USD PC upgrade, Hertz will be cheaper.

Looking forward to seeing how much UC has improved... Tried it out once before my switch to National.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, Wait I have an Ambassador?, National Exe. Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
Dumb question:

I'm about to receive PC status from credit card and am thinking about making the switch to Hertz. The problem is that my company only allows us to book compact cars.
So as a PC with compact reservation, would I still have access to the PC section of the UC lot?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
LAX: Manager Special

I plan to rent for 1 week at LAX.
While on Hertz web site, somehow "Manager Special" showed up. Couldn't find it afterward!
Did use "search" and went to discounts & coupon to no avail. How can I get Manager Special to show up again? Thanks.

Also, I wanted to try out the Mercedes C300 sedan (Prestige class, I think). Any discount?

I use AAA and am Gold

Thank you.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I plan to rent for 1 week at LAX.
While on Hertz web site, somehow "Manager Special" showed up. Couldn't find it afterward!
Did use "search" and went to discounts & coupon to no avail. How can I get Manager Special to show up again? Thanks.

Also, I wanted to try out the Mercedes C300 sedan (Prestige class, I think). Any discount?

I use AAA and am Gold

Thank you.
Managers Special is an assigned vehicle (or vehicle type) at the discretion of the station you are renting from. You can not use Ultimate Choice, which this thread is dedicated to, with it.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by yeeeeperdiems
So as a PC with compact reservation, would I still have access to the PC section of the UC lot?
Q. What is the minimum booking class to be eligible to freely select cars from Ultimate Choice?
A. You must book at least an an Intermediate (Booking Class C; ICAR) car.

Your only benefit as a PC is a guaranteed upgrade to a midsize car that you can pick from that section of the lot.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:15 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

I am just wondering for this Ultimate Choice, did Hertz put a set of rules/criteria for each location to meeting on the type of cars that they should assign to a lot?
Having experience this a couple of times at different and some same locations, the variation changes like crazy and sometimes the car you like is in the upgrade section, sometimes in the UC section...

So I am curious what criteria/rules especially on the type of makes/models they should offer/have available.

Cheers!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I am just wondering for this Ultimate Choice, did Hertz put a set of rules/criteria for each location to meeting on the type of cars that they should assign to a lot?
Having experience this a couple of times at different and some same locations, the variation changes like crazy and sometimes the car you like is in the upgrade section, sometimes in the UC section...

So I am curious what criteria/rules especially on the type of makes/models they should offer/have available.

Cheers!
I think the location has wide latitude in what to assign to each section. I did once inquire at FLL why the vehicles in Gold vs. 5* looked similar, and the response I got was that the 5* section may contain similar models, but they were typically lower mileage vehicles, and in some cases, higher trim versions.

It's very much a YMMV situation. It is definitely true that some locations are better than others. My closest UC location (LGA) is pretty lackluster 95% of the time even in the PC area.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Hertz
Don't like the new Hertz Gold service

Well Hertz caved in to the musical car method of assignment. It is unfortunate. Having a car assigned with your name above and usually an upgrade. You felt special. Now when the doors open on the bus the race is on. First one out the door gets to choose the best car. If your the last you stand there with a confused look on your face. Where is my premium full size as you see the last pull away. The attendants stand around looking as confused as you as you ask them where your car is. "Select form here and here" as they point to an empty area with 3 cars left. A Soul and a Toyota midsize.

I have now written 2 reviews describing my disappointment. I would encourage everyone else with Hertz status to do the same.

I am likely going to have to switch to National. They have a more consistent set of cars available in the premiere sections. Hertz hasn't figured that out yet.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Jimbo1607
Well Hertz caved in to the musical car method of assignment. It is unfortunate. Having a car assigned with your name above and usually an upgrade. You felt special. Now when the doors open on the bus the race is on. First one out the door gets to choose the best car. If your the last you stand there with a confused look on your face. Where is my premium full size as you see the last pull away. The attendants stand around looking as confused as you as you ask them where your car is. "Select form here and here" as they point to an empty area with 3 cars left. A Soul and a Toyota midsize.

I have now written 2 reviews describing my disappointment. I would encourage everyone else with Hertz status to do the same.

I am likely going to have to switch to National. They have a more consistent set of cars available in the premiere sections. Hertz hasn't figured that out yet.
If this bothers you, I'd suggest switching to Avis, since National is also a "choose from the aisle" structure.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:45 am

If you reserve a Premium car you should be assigned a vehicle as opposed to choosing from Ultimate Choice. If this is not happening, then speak with a manager at the location. This is *not* the way the program is intended to work.

That said, if you booked a midsize to a fullsize car, then you would use the Ultimate Choice section based on your status. The overwhelming feedback here (and my personal opinion) is that this is a huge leap forward from the previous days where you get what you get and you don't get upset. You may have gotten upgrades in the past, but the vast majority of folks did not, so even though selection in UC can be lackluster to crappy at times, some choice is better than no choice for most folks.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:39 pm

Rented from LAX today. Noticed they've gone back to the long printed contracts. No longer printing out just the two page contract + an email with the full contract.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by CalItalian
Rented from LAX today. Noticed they've gone back to the long printed contracts. No longer printing out just the two page contract + an email with the full contract.
Replying to myself.

Update.

8 days later, I immediately rented again at LAX after dropping my rental. Back to the short 2-page printed contract and a different email format for the entire contract, "Hertz Updated Gold Rental Agreement'.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
I'm visiting a location that just has "Gold Choice" as a PC member. I can't find much online about Gold Choice, it seems to have been superseded by Ultimate Choice, but it looks like they just have sedans and maybe SUVs for all GPR members? I'm guessing I won't find a Chrysler 300/Nissan Maxima or higher in that section? Any thoughts or personal experience would be appreciated!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jim32190
I'm visiting a location that just has "Gold Choice" as a PC member. I can't find much online about Gold Choice, it seems to have been superseded by Ultimate Choice, but it looks like they just have sedans and maybe SUVs for all GPR members? I'm guessing I won't find a Chrysler 300/Nissan Maxima or higher in that section? Any thoughts or personal experience would be appreciated!
Been awhile since I've rented at a Gold Choice location, but Gold Choice was mostly useless. You could have your choice of any color Chevy Cruze you wanted, and maybe a Corolla if you were lucky. I don't think I ever saw anythig bigger than an ICAR in Gold Choice--certainly no SUVs or anything, and definitely no LCARs (300, etc.).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.