Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz LHR T5 - AVOID

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle
Hertz LHR T5 - AVOID

Just missed my BA flight from T5 because the shuttle drivers don't care about customers and nor do the managers.
Dropped my car with enough time, but none to spare; spoke to three drivers and reception about needing a shuttle urgently to T5. There was a queue of three buses just waiting, engines idling, but they couldn't be bothered to go. I waited more than 15 minutes for transport.
Having missed my flight, I went back to Hertz and spoke to the duty manager - Adam something - who didn't care either. He couldn't even be bothered to ask my name even though I told him I've been President's Circle for more than twenty years. Just mumbled that he'd "speak to the drivers".

Nice attitude, Hertz.

My advice is use AVIS at Terminal 5 - they're in the terminal itself. That's what I'll do next week and the week after and every week until the end of the year whilst flying in and out from GLA.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Buses run at a frequency of around 15-20 minutes , so having to wait for a bus is normal - they do not operate to order

It sounds that you didn't return the car with enough time, if a normal wait time meant that you were too late for the flight
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by AyrMiles
Dropped my car with enough time
Obviously not.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: Global Entry, United Silver, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hilton Gold
Just missed my BA flight from T5 because the shuttle drivers don't care about customers and nor do the managers.
No, you missed your flight because you didn't arrive at the airport early enough to take care of business.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
JMy advice is use AVIS at Terminal 5 - they're in the terminal itself. That's what I'll do next week and the week after and every week until the end of the year whilst flying in and out from GLA.
That does not help you with returns. And Avis are located at the eastern end of the airport, a lot further away from T5 than Hertz, so you would need to allow even more time from dropping off the car.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:51 am

Avis for other LHR terminals are off airport, but they are actually in the terminal at T5, so I'd always use Avis for T5. You can return to T5, no need to go to their pound to return.
To the original poster, how much time did you allow? I fear (from what you've told us) not enough.....
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
You also have Sixt in the T5 Sofitel if you want to try a variety.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
That does not help you with returns.
As already mentioned, it certainly does.

As for the OP if waiting 15 minutes for the shuttle made you miss your flight, I'm afraid I have no sympathy for you.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 2:19 pm

Dropped my car with enough time, but none to spare; spoke to three drivers and reception about needing a shuttle urgently to T5. There was a queue of three buses just waiting, engines idling, but they couldn't be bothered to go. I waited more than 15 minutes for transport.
Having missed my flight, I went back to Hertz and spoke to the duty manager - Adam something - who didn't care either. He couldn't even be bothered to ask my name even though I told him I've been President's Circle for more than twenty years. Just mumbled that he'd "speak to the drivers".

Nice attitude, Hertz.

My advice is use AVIS at Terminal 5 - they're in the terminal itself. That's what I'll do next week and the week after and every week until the end of the year whilst flying in and out from GLA.
You had a 15 minute window that basically either made or broke your ability to catch your flight. Yes, you are at fault. What if you hit traffic, ran into longer than normal security lines (even with TSA Pre-Check), etc.? 15 Minutes is a bit close to making or braking a flight time.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 3:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JLewisinSyr
You had a 15 minute window that basically either made or broke your ability to catch your flight. Yes, you are at fault. What if you hit traffic, ran into longer than normal security lines (even with TSA Pre-Check), etc.? 15 Minutes is a bit close to making or braking a flight time.
Why would Heathrow airport have TSA pre-check?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Tough, tough crowd.

I'm a last-minute man, always, and especially at an airport I know.

In Europe, though, they've different notions of time. A 4x/hour shuttle schedule wouldn't cut it at a "first tier" rental firm in the US, or at least not at any reasonably main-stream US airport from which I've ever rented a car . . . except maybe some group-bus-only places like Logan or BWI. So, as I said, knowing the airport then becomes especially important.

Oh, and if you're really going to play the last-minute game, yes, you actually do have to know the shuttle schedule in advance and calculate which one you have to catch. There's some expertise involved here, in other words.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why would Heathrow airport have TSA pre-check?
More of a general statement then specific to LHR. Sorry, should have been more clear.

How about this instead...15 minute window in making or breaking a flight for any numerous of reasons really puts the risk on the person versus any carrier/security/company.

Better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.