Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: Sadly, due to COVID-19, many of the restaurants listed in this thread are no longer in business. Please check online to determine a restaurant's current status. We will retire this thread and start a new one once conditions stabilize.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Restaurant Recommendations on Kaua`i" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
It is gorgeous (not to mention fragrant - I had no idea) when the trees are in bloom. (I don't remember what time of year that is.) There are also views of acres and acres (and increasing in size every year) with the ocean in the background. Also an opportunity for taste testing and buying a variety of coffees. I always take visitors and I'm not even a coffee drinker.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
The Kauai coffee plantation is huge, they have a visitor's center where you can sample their coffees and buy it, but otherwise nothing really special. Nice to visit only once if it's convenient when enroute to/from the canyon.

I find the coffee farms on the Big Island to be more interesting. Most are small family operations, berries picked and processed by hand. Whole different vibe there.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:28 pm

I am going back to kauai in July. Anyone know how bad downtown Hanalei area is? Can't imagine Hanalei Dolphin or Tahiti Nui didn't get flooded?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:51 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Hanalei (Princeville) is a beatiful area - not to say that the rest of Kauai is not beautiful. But the northern shore is definitely more upscale than the rest of the island. We have been there since 2005, and absolutely love it.

The restaraunts we (vegetarian) enjoy going to are :
1) The Brick Oven - Kailua
2) Puka Dog - Koloa (not a restaurant - but a fun snack place)
3) Shivalik - Indian cuisine (great cooking - reasonable prices for Kauai)
4) Tahiti Nui - Great for night life and bar food
5) The restaurants at the Kauai Marriott Resot (forget the name)
6) Lapperts - For Ice Cream - wonderful with so many flavors.

But there is so much real estate expansion on Kauai now, that the number of restaurants are exploding, each one trying to outdo the other. There were many under construction during our last visit, that we would be interested in your experience, and any new restaurants you may have discovered. Please do post your experiences.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: no status
Originally Posted by off2rome
I am going back to kauai in July. Anyone know how bad downtown Hanalei area is? Can't imagine Hanalei Dolphin or Tahiti Nui didn't get flooded?
There was some disturbing videos posted on CNN and other news outlets. I only clued in that it was Hanalei when they flew over the church ... it was that bad!

We prefer to stay in Kapaa, but our favourite restaurants are all clustered in Wailua: Brick Oven Pizza, Monicos, Street Burger, and the Korean BBQ all in the Kinipopo Shopping area.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 22, 2018 at 5:46 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Apr 22, 2018, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by Merlin666
There was some disturbing videos posted on CNN and other news outlets. I only clued in that it was Hanalei when they flew over the church ... it was that bad!

We prefer to stay in Kapaa, but our favourite restaurants are all clustered in Wailua: Brick Oven Pizza, Monicos, Street Burger, and the Korean BBQ all in the Kinipopo Shopping area.
Thanks! Anyone with on the ground knowledge of Hanalei let us know how the "downtown" area fared.
Old May 7, 2018, 11:40 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I'm currently on Kauai and staying at the Grand Hyatt. I'll have to give tidepools a try and Roy eats, which seems to be a few min drive from the hotel. I grabbed some tuna poke bowl takeout from the dolphin (their lunch takeout and not the restaurant ) at the kukui'ula village shopping center and it was very good. Also their seafood chowder was excellent and it was mostly seafood, which is a nice change from the water downed (or creamed down) I usually see on the mainland.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
I'm currently on Kauai and staying at the Grand Hyatt. I'll have to give tidepools a try and Roy eats, which seems to be a few min drive from the hotel. I grabbed some tuna poke bowl takeout from the dolphin (their lunch takeout and not the restaurant ) at the kukui'ula village shopping center and it was very good. Also their seafood chowder was excellent and it was mostly seafood, which is a nice change from the water downed (or creamed down) I usually see on the mainland.
Roy's "seems to be a few min drive?" It's right where the Dolphin is.
Old May 8, 2018, 8:36 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Roy's "seems to be a few min drive?" It's right where the Dolphin is.
Yup, it's basically next door to dolphin.
Stopped by Makai sushi for their poke bowl and it was excellent. Better than dolphin.
Old May 8, 2018, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
Yup, it's basically next door to dolphin.
Stopped by Makai sushi for their poke bowl and it was excellent. Better than dolphin.
I never get anything but the seared teriyaki ahi at the Dolphin.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by off2rome
I just returned from a little over a week on island. The restaurants on the main strip in Hanalei are open for business except Postcards and The Dolphin. Postcards is targeting a June 15 re-opening, and Dolphin/Fish Market is still hoping for July (no actual estimates on the date). Anything beyond Hanalei is still closed to all but resident traffic (and those working the rebuilding/clean-up) - access by permit only via scheduled convoy.

Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Postcards reopened earlier this week.

​​​​​​​The Dolphin is targeting mid-July to reopen.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 4:15 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
So we are doing Kauai here end of Oct. We have a newborn, what are the laws about kids in bars? This is his first trip out of state, and Im not saying we are going out and getting tanked or anything but recall a few restaurants that had nice seating that would be what I considered a "bar area". TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.