Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Molokai - Where to stay, what to do, where to eat, activities" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Molokai - Where to stay, what to do, where to eat, activities" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:43 pm

Smile Now thats an idea!

Originally Posted by l'etoile
freespirit: I had noticed your location and figured you would have no trouble adjusting. If you ever do find yourself in need of "the big city", it's just a short hop to get to one of the other islands for the day. Your husband may even decide he needs to get a ukulele made. Last time I was there a seasonal resident was flying to Kauai to pick his custom-made ukulele up so he could participate in those Friday night jams.
Great Idea, I think I will get him one (ukulele) and have it shipped over there as a surprise while we are there!
Old Jul 20, 2008, 4:53 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by cblaisd
You can have a great time on Moloka`i for a month -- if you go with some different presuppositions than what folks often have in mind when they think of "Hawai`i vacation."

First of all, tensions are running high on Moloka`i right now. Google "lau point molokai" or "molokai master plan" and read some news stories. I don't pretend to know what the answer is, but the ante has been upped significantly with the closing of Moloka`i Ranch -- which employed a large percentage of island folks. So there's a certain grimness in the air on Moloka`i. This can occasionally translate into resentment of tourists who clearly have all the money in the world (or they're perceived that way).

Second, over the last few years, speculators and part-time mainlander folks have basically significantly damaged the east Moloka`i community. There are some details in my trip report here (and you might find it of interest in general).

Third, my admittedly brief experience on Moloka`i is that it is the tourists who come for the "unspoiled real Hawai`i" experience and then complain because every grocery/convenience store on the island closes by 8:30 p.m., etc., etc., who are given the most stink-eye. There are also no gourmet restaurants on Moloka`i, but there are some good, decent "local-kine" places.

Fourth, the very best way, in my opinion to experience the "real Moloka`i" is to go (if you're into this sort of thing), one of the local churches for Sunday worship.

Moloka`i is different: it's only got about 7000 residents. It's a "working class" place with very strong and long family traditions. It's kind of a hard-scrabble place and my impression is that it doesn't get the share of Maui county monies that could help some of its infrastructure problems (facilities at parks, e.g.) It's also the only island (other than Ni`ihau, of course) that is majority ethnic Hawai`ian.

Hope those ruminations help. For me: I'd go back in a minute and gladly stay a month.
cblaisd - I read your trip report for Molokai - its great! Thanks I can hardly wait until March!
Old Jul 20, 2008, 5:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
You're welcome
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; CO Plat; HH Diamond; Adm Club
Where to stay in Molokai?

Any recommendations from FTrs?

Edited due to change in plans to stay in HNL instead of MKK.

Thanks!

Last edited by dknyc01; Dec 14, 2008 at 1:18 pm
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:23 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
5-7 days in Molokai! Where to stay? Groceries? Activities?

The Spouse and I are headed to Hawaii from January 21-February 2 for a child free escape. After 5 night award stay at the Moana Surfrider in what we hope will be a nice tower suite, we are thinking of a contrastingly quiet week in Molokai.

We have never visited Molokai (have so far covered both sides of the Big Island, the Hana side of Maui and all over Oahu).

Ideally, we would like to book an east end beachfront cottage with king bed, internet access and a bit of privacy. Any suggestions??

Also, looking for info on groceries and other supplies. I see that there are a half dozen or so "markets"-- My guess is that these are very pricey with limited selection- What has your experience been?

On activities-- We love to snorkel, lay on the beach, kayak-- but are not really tour group material. Not much for shopping either. Would like to dine out a few times, any suggestions for good food?

Also-- rental car suggestions would be appreciated!
Lastly, would love to hear any other Molokai specific info anyone would like to share....
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:36 am

went to Molokai once We rented a house on the beach, very casual

Just drove around seeing the island, suggest you go to see the former Leper colony, Father Damien was just made a saint

Went to end of island and hiked to a beautiful waterfall

Not many restaurants, all is very casual and quiet

We did enjoy our time there as the island was not just one tourist spot after another

Once we were driving along and a woman stopped us - she gave us a big bunch of bananas!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: AA 3MM, AA Executive Platinum
Based on your questions, my advice would be to forget about Moloka'i.

No good restaurants. Zero. Diner-quality food is the best you'll find. Huli huli chicken, local plate lunch, and Subway.

No good hotels. There are some terrific house rentals if you know where to look, but Maui County's TVR restrictions have rendered many of them illegal.

No shopping. You can hit a 6-iron from one end of Kaunakakai to the other.

Two companies run sea kayak tours near the harbor.

Easy to rent a car.

Molokai is one of the best places in the world to do nothing. Quiet, peaceful, laid-back to the max. No traffic lights. Once you get beyond that, there is very little. Two or three interesting places to see (Sea Cliffs, Kalaupapa).

Hana is like Los Angeles compared to Moloka'i. If reading in a beach chair all day and throwing out a line to catch your dinner is what you're looking for, then Moloka'i is heaven.

If you're looking for a peaceful spot that also offers some options for food, shopping, and entertainment, then try the Manele Bay Hotel or the Lodge at Koele over on Lana'i.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond, , AA Gold, Bonvoy Titaniu
Thanks for the replies-- We are not at all interested in staying at a hotel, condo or resort-- we are looking for a beachfront cottage, preferably somewhat isolated.
The lack of restaurants does sound a little disappointing, but not so much as to ruin the trip. Absolutely no interest in shopping.
Where does one look for home rentals in molokai?
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You might also want to consider Kauai which has secluded beach cottages and also all the ameneties you might want - like a restaurant for a decent meal
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:54 pm

for renting try VRBO [vacation rental by owner] also search for B&B
Old Oct 30, 2009, 2:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

The best dinner I have had anywhere in Hawai`i is at the Kualapu`u Cookhouse in Kualapu`u. By day it is a standard, local-style plate-lunch-kine place. But by night, and with the arrival of a couple of fun and interesting and really competent chefs, the place transforms. Best lilikoi ribs I've ever had. Excellent steak. Excellent seafood (changes; whatever is fresh that day).

The Moloka`i Pizza Kitchen is decent for what it is, in fact more than decent. Good pizza and each night is a different themed night (unlike what you'd expect from its name); e.g., Mexican night, seafood night, etc.

There are two grocery stores in Kaunakakai; both are local (no chains of any sort on Moloka`i). Serviceable selections. There is also a very local style "big lots" kind of place across the street from one of the groceries with some decent prices on quantities (although not Costco prices).

On the east end, there is only one market (a combo market and drive-in). It's a convenience store type place, and when we were there was advertising that it now stayed open late until 7pm.

Moloka`i is hurting these days economically both in general and from the closure of Moloka`i Ranch and the dissension re development at La`au Point.

Go. It's a fascinating place. There are okay beaches on the east end, but you'll want to drive to the west end for the best. Hit Dixie Maru beach. A beautiful and secluded area with a wonderful beach. You'll likely have it almost to yourselves on a weekday.

While you're on the beach, you can see the highrises of Honolulu in the distance, and, at night, the lights. Imagine being exiled as a leper to Kalaupapa peninsula and looking across the ocean at night to Honolulu, knowing that you would never return.

If you do go to Moloka`i, do some reading in advance about its unique history, both "topside" and the Kalaupapa peninsula.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:04 pm

Molokai is my favorite island, and I would agree with all of cblaisd's comments. As for a beach cottage, those can be rented through various real estate companies or individuals. Here is a site to check out: http://visitmolokai.com/accommodations.php

If you wish to stay on the east side, the beaches are prettier and better the farther east you go. The beach at Hotel Molokai is essentially useless, as it is hard packed sand with lots of little crustaceans running around. I should add that I enjoy breakfast at Hotel Molokai, but other than that, it seems rather ordinary.

By the way, the only car rental at the airport is Alamo.

Enjoy!
riftime
Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by riftime
By the way, the only car rental at the airport is Alamo
I think it's Budget, actually?

There is a local rental agency at the airport, too (Aloha Rents) and another local one in Kaunakakai. Google "Molokai rental cars."
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I think it's Budget, actually?
Budget was replaced by Alamo. There was an article in the Molokai Dispatch many months ago about the changeover earlier this year. But I'm glad to hear about Aloha Rents. Is that on the other side of the terminal?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:07 am

Auwe! Turns out I was wrong on both counts.

But this local agency sounds promising: http://www.molokai-car-rental.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.