Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Molokai - Where to stay, what to do, where to eat, activities" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Molokai - Where to stay, what to do, where to eat, activities" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:47 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Eats on the island of Molokai?

Heading for Molokai this winter.

Any dining recommendations?
Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:41 am
Original Poster

bump....
Old Nov 15, 2003, 3:22 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
There's just not much there Bill and nothing I'd exactly recommend, although the Molokai Coffee Plantation does make some good smoothies.

The two times I've been there folks have told me the food at the Molokai Hotel is good - but keep in mind good is relative when you're talking about Molokai. It's mostly fish (nothing veggie) so we didn't eat there. You do need reservations as we went there for the happy hour one Friday about 5 p.m. and they were taking names for seatings about 9:30 p.m. It has nice views. If you are there on a Friday, the entire island is there for the happy hour from 4-6 p.m. Lots of ukeleles; lots of singing.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 8:58 am
Original Poster

An 18year resident of Molokai stated the following:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The best bet: try to befriend a local or two and get invited to a luau. Molokai families make some of the best luau (plural, no "s") in Hawaii. Squid luau, poke, raw crab, poi, lomilomi salmon, kalua pig, haupia/coconut pudding, lau lau, etc. I always try to go to a "real" luau or two whenever I am home.

However, some hidden gems (east to west):

Neighborhood Store (approximately 16 miles from the main town of Kaunakakai) - okay plate lunches; mediocre saimin; known for mustard-mayo dipping sauce for fries.

Hotel Molokai (approximately 2 miles from Kaunakakai) - waterfront, the best restaurant on the island; decent fried rice for breakfast. "Kanikapila" (musicians jamming and hula dancers dancing one after the other) on Friday "pau hana"/happy hour. Additional music on Saturday nights. Typical island cuisine (fresh fish, shrimp, steak, etc.)

Kanemitsu Bakery (in Kaunakakai, the main town) - "hot bread" from the ovens...after 10:30 p.m. every night except Monday (bakery is closed on Tuesdays). Ask any "local" and they'll tell you where you need to go (back alley, knock on the door and order your flavors--cinnamon and sugar or cream cheese and strawberry jam are the two most popular). The bread is incredible...no preservatives, does not last more than two days without refrigeration.

Farmer's Market on Saturdays (in Kaunakakai, across the street from the main library) - kulolo (taro-coconut pudding), papayas, homemade cookies, okra, lettuce, tomatoes, zukes, etc.

Health Food Store (in Kaunakakai, closed on Saturdays) - decent veggie sandwiches.

Friendly Market (in Kaunakakai, closed on Sundays) - best selection of raw fish/poke, best place to buy groceries.

Kaunakakai Wine Shop (in Kaunakakai, next to Kanemitsu Bakery) - incredible selection of wines, okay cheeses (nothing special).

Kamo'i Snack-n-Go (in Kaunakakai, next to my family's drugstore) - awesome ice creams (made in Hawaii by Dave's in Honolulu), including lychee, green tea, haupia (coconut), etc.

Molokai Pizza Cafe (Kaunakakai) - surprisingly good pizza.

Cook House (Kualapuu) - great, homemade pies; decent plate lunches.

Molokai Coffee House - one block from the Cook House; opens pretty late (after 8 a.m.); strong, Molokai-grown coffee.

Kumu Farms (near the airport) - most amazing mac nut pesto...basil grown on this farm. All the Hawaii-based Costcos sell it.

Sheraton Molokai Restaurant (Maunaloa, far west of island) - Chef Martina (former chef at the Kapalua Bay Hotel on Maui) makes great salads
</font>
Old Nov 19, 2003, 6:24 am

I wish I'd known about placing orders at the bakery. We bought some bread there, but not the yummy flavors mentioned.

A couple of notes to add to the above:

The Molokai Pizza Cafe is in the Entertainment Guide. (The only Molokai coupon in there.) If you find someone with a Hawaii book perhaps they'll send you just that coupon.

It sounds like perhaps the chef at the Sheraton has changed in the last six months or so. Ours was very accommodating (would make whatever we brought in), but his training was from the military. If things haven't changed much, on Tuesdays or Wednesday (I forget which) they have a pasta buffet, where you pick out all your own ingredients and he prepares your pasta and sauce. It was about half price of most of the menu items and was pretty good. I liked breakfasts there too.

If you're staying at the lodge at the Sheraton you will have a microwave and fridge. That could come in handy if you do get the pies or the pesto.
Old Feb 1, 2004, 11:46 am
Original Poster

our experiences on Molokai

Health Food Store/Outpost Natural Foods, all natural organic outpost, but my experience was not positive. Wife and I both had items that included avocado (a burrito & a sandwich), person behind food counter stated that they were out of avocado. When I pointed out that there were some in the front of the store and could I get her one, I was told no. WHAT THE heck Kind of response is that!!??!!?? All veg burrito and sandwich were very mediocre. Poor food combined with the above response means stay away.

Bakery is open Tuesdays, the strawberry jam was terrific even though I got it the next morning, not at night.

Molokai Pizza is not anything to look forward to, it may be better than what is usually available on the Islands but again is nothing special. Went for dinner one night, place does a HUGE takeout biz.

Poke from the local market was terrific. Great snack.

Had a couple plate lunches at the local drive in in town. Quite good, but I've never met a plate lunch I didn't like.

Dined a few times at the Sheraton Molokai as that is where we were staying. Food was Ok and VERY EXPENSIVE. Breakfast is a very good value and serves items you can’t get on the island. Highlights included fresh island fish over English muffins with avocado and poached eggs, the banana stuffed; sweet Hawaiian bread was great with the coconut syrup. Never ate lunch at the resort, too many cheap and better offerings on the island. Beach house area has a buffet nightly. Lots of meat, some salads, decent dessert offerings. The only reason it was a good meal is due to the setting very close to the beach and with the torches lit. Veranda at the Lodge is wonderful to sit on, always choose outside seating. Bugs at night are very minimal if any. Dinner at the lodge was nice and I’m glad we did it, but again, nothing special. Leave your gourmet wishes on some other island and just enjoy the meal for what it is, a meal in Molokai paradise.

(for those interested I’ve written a review of the Sheraton Molokai in the Starwood hotel forum in FT Miles)
Old Jul 3, 2004, 9:30 pm

Question Molokai in a day from Maui?

I will be going to Maui for about a week later this summer and since I've been to all the other islands except for Molokai, I was thinking about doing a day trip to Molokai. I looked and saw there was a ferry going there and back in a day, but it only left you with about 5-6 hours of time on the island. Is it worth it for 5-6 hours or will I need more time? Too bad SPG still doesn't own the hotel on Molokai since I'm staying at an SPG property in Maui using points!

Any suggestions or ideas? thanks in advance.
Old Jul 3, 2004, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Depends on what you want to do on Moloka`i -- horseback riding, lunch, hiking, beach? If all you want to do is to see the island, its laid back lifestyle and people, then 5-6 hours might work, but any other activities might be pushing it, although going to the beach on Moloka`i in that timespan does sound like a fun idea.

aloha
Old Jul 4, 2004, 2:03 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FreeLunch
I will be going to Maui for about a week later this summer and since I've been to all the other islands except for Molokai, I was thinking about doing a day trip to Molokai. I looked and saw there was a ferry going there and back in a day, but it only left you with about 5-6 hours of time on the island. Is it worth it for 5-6 hours or will I need more time? Too bad SPG still doesn't own the hotel on Molokai since I'm staying at an SPG property in Maui using points!

Any suggestions or ideas? thanks in advance.
We're in Maui this week and took the Molokai ferry for much the same reason...it was the only island we hadn't visited. You can take a package tour on the ferry which includes the RT boat ride and a tour of a macadamia nut farm, a coffee company, lunch and you also visit the highest sea cliffs in Hawaii and peer down at the infamous leper colony that still exists on Molokai.
The whole tour...including the boat ride...takes the better part of the day but was very interesting and I'd highly recommend it as a way to see the highlights of Molokai and to add another island to your belt.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:07 am

Has anyone tried http://www.mokulele.com/home2.html or other options to get a longer day trip to Molokai? It would be nice to get a full day there instead of just 5-6 hours...

thanks for the help.
Old Jul 21, 2004, 8:39 am

There are qute a few air charter services that serve Molokai. Type Molokai air charter into Google and you should find four or five.

Your thought of spending more time on Molokai is a good one. You can't get a feel for Molokai in 5-6 hours. I don't think 8-10 hours does it either, but at least you can do a little more. Then again "doing" is really not what Molokai is about.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by letiole
Then again "doing" is really not what Molokai is about.
very valid point. Only Molokai made this very well planned person become like a limp noodle that just did not have a care in the world and it was GREAT. No other place anywhere in the world has had this effect on me.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
What's the name of the ferry company you were looking at for the 5-6 hour trip?
Old Jul 31, 2004, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by dingo
What's the name of the ferry company you were looking at for the 5-6 hour trip?
http://www.molokaiferry.com/

aloha
Old Aug 2, 2004, 7:46 pm

I ended up booking on paragon air and it was reasonably priced. We'll see how it turns out in a few weeks when I take my flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.