Consolidated "Kaua`i Activity and/or Must-Do" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Kaua`i Activity and/or Must-Do" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:37 pm

SW:
Hope this post is not too late. My favorite activity on Kauai was hiking down to the bottom of Wailua Falls, and hiking down the river at the bottom. Beautiful! There is a little trail just down the road a bit and then it's a slippery trail to the bottom. Worth the adventure!!!
Old May 30, 2004, 3:45 am

Master Kauai Activity/Must Do on Kauai Thread

We are visiting Kauai for 9 days in late July/early Aug. What are some must do's for Kauai? We have a helicopter tour booked with Air Kauai but thats it so far. I have the ultimate guide book for Kauai and plan to do plenty of hiking. Should we take a boat tour or kayak guided tour? We are all fairly good swimmers but have never snorkled. We're staying on the south side in a condo at Whalers Cove. How long do you think it will take to drive to the North side of Kauai? I heard traffic can be really slow on Kauai. Hopefully 9 days will be enough time to throughly check out the island. Since we are from the east coast this trip is costing a small fortune to fly 5 ppl from BOS to LIH! Realisticly this will probably be our only trip to Kauai so we would like to do it right! Thanks in advance for any tips on making the most of our time while on Kauai.
Old May 30, 2004, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Nine days is more than enough time to visit Kauai.

Here are some things IMHO you should do given my past experiences on the Garden Isle:
  • Do something that involves the Na Pali Coastline. Air Kauai will probably give you some aerial shots of it and you'll probably end up hiking one of the trails up there with you Guidebook (just be cautious -- heed warning signs, take a cell phone, etc.).
  • I think the helecopter tour is a good way to explore the islands, but driving around has its perks too.
  • Visit Waimea Canyon.
  • A quick drive by Wailua Falls?
  • Visit Hanalei Bay. Ah, so nice. (Tell me how that new bridge is... Last time I visited, they were still reinforcing the structure).
  • The wet caves on Kauai's north shore might be worth a quick visit as well.
  • Kilauea Lighthouse is also a nice picturesque stop.
  • Spouting Horn might be of some interest...
  • Poipu's always a nice visit.
  • Finally, my favorite is the Hanapepe Swinging Bridge

Also: http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/kauai_northtips.html for driving maps and general attraction tips.

Again, I'm torn on this, as given a prior post, but the Kauai Revealed Guidebook will help you out with good suggestions. Try to heed the warnings listed in the book or posted warnings at trials, beaches, etc.

Unlike O`ahu, Maui or the Big Island, Kauai offers a different, 'lush' experience that has regained its charm since Hurricane Iniki struck in 92. Remember that if you ever find yourself bored (which I doubt you will), the beaches there are just fabulous and you don't get that fury of visitors as with other islands. Good luck with your trip, especially coming from Beantown (my favorite city on the eastern seaboard)!

aloha

Last edited by slippahs; May 30, 2004 at 5:00 am Reason: It's 1 a.m. on a Sunday morning. Of course I'd need to edit my post :)
Old May 30, 2004, 9:31 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A search will yield a great deal of discussion, including these:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ighlight=kauai

Old May 30, 2004, 11:59 pm

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
Red face Kauai Revealed Guidebook

I would suggest this book also, but get it at least a month in advance. Lots of good stuff to read ahead of time to make plans.
Old May 31, 2004, 8:21 am

In addition to a couple days on the Big Island, I just got back from a week on Kauai. We stayed in Kapaa, which is kind of halfway between the North and South shores, and I don't think it ever really took us more than 45 minutes to get anywhere. It'll probably take around an hour to an hour and a half to get from one side of the island to another. I didn't think traffic was remarkable (but I live in Boston too and our perception of traffic may be skewed). Here are some things I enjoyed:

1.) Seeing Waimea canyon. There are some easily accessible (by car) viewpoints at the very northern end of the canyon road that offer spectacular views of the Kalalau valley that you can't really see from anywhere else unless you hike there or take a helicopter. There are also what appear to be some great hikes in the canyon although we didn't do any.

2.) Hiking the Kalalau trail. We only made it to Hanakapiai Falls (8 miles RT) but we were beat. Admittedly, I'm a little out of shape, but it's a really tough hike, particularly on a hot day. The falls made up for it. I hear that sea kayaking along the Na Pali coast may be even better than hiking, but we didn't do it. Next time, maybe.
BTW -- you need a camping permit to go past Hanakapiai (some people say it's actually the 6 mile marker after which you need a permit), and according to the park people they're all out of permits for the summer.

3.) Beach hopping -- we went to almost every major beach from Poipu up to Ke'e beach. Ke'e was very good for snorkling - saw a lot of turtles. Hanalei Bay was great for surfing/boogie-boarding when we were there. BTW -- DEFINITELY go up into the sandstone cliffs near Poipu (I think it's actually near Shipwreck beach if I remember correctly). Great views!

4.) Kayaking the Wailua river. Kayaking was fun, and you get to visit some nice falls. Word of caution -- we used Kayak Wailua because they advertised a very cheap price -- but you get what you pay for. They overbooked, bumped us to another time without prior notice, and were unprofessional about the whole thing.

4.) Eating. For shave ice, Jo Jo's may be the best on the island, but I think it's overhyped. As for restaurants, the only two that I think are worth commenting on are Coconuts in Kapaa and Caffe Coco in Wailua. Coconuts was pretty bad. Poor service, overpriced food. I think it's resting on its laurels after being hyped and overrated in the guidebooks. Caffe Coco was FANTASTIC! Very interesting place, reasonably priced, good food, live music, fragrant flower-scented outside dining area. Good place to go for a light dinner if in the Wailua area.

5.) Shopping -- Lots of upscale tourist traps selling black pearls and such everywhere. Hilo Hattie's in Lihue is worth going to for souvenirs, it's not horrendously expensive. For really cheap tchotkes, try Wal-Mart in Lihue -- they have a souvenir section with things like shell leis, mugs, hula bobble dolls, calendars, etc. for about 30-50% less than you would find at a souvenir stand.

I really enjoyed Kauai -- I was totally turned off by Oahu last time I went because of the swarming crowds, but Kauai is really a different world.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Eating suggestion

Eat dinner at A Pacific Cafe in Kapaa. It is definitely the best restaurant on Kauai. Though it is on the expensive side, it is well worth it, in my opinion.

It is located in a very nondescript strip mall and the atmosphere is very causal and it can be a bit noisy. But the food is the epitome of the Pacific Rim cuisine.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA, MR, AA
If you've got room for Ice Cream after you eat dinner, go to Lapperts. Very good!! - there are a few on the island.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:57 am

Thanks everyone for the great info and ideas. The highlight of our summer is this trip to Kauai. Which restaurant would be best for my wifes 50th birthday, Tidepools, Roys or Pacific Cafe? Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My vote for Roy's.

aloha
Old Jun 9, 2004, 7:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
When passing through Kalaheo, drop by the Camp House Grill. It's "rustic" but they have huge breakfasts and great burgers. The real draw is their homemade pies. The macadamia nut one is great, and my wife is still raving about their pineapple-cream cheese-mac nut pie. They can pack slices to go so if you're put off by the dusty plank floored dining room (and we saw more than one group come in toting the "blue bible" that looked around and immediately left) that works as well.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by Mephisto101
Thanks everyone for the great info and ideas. The highlight of our summer is this trip to Kauai. Which restaurant would be best for my wifes 50th birthday, Tidepools, Roys or Pacific Cafe? Thanks again for all your help.
My vote is for Tidepools. If you go, ask to have Kevin as your server (I think there's only one, but in case there's more he's not very tall w/blonde hair & glasses, if they ask for a description). I've had him a couple times and chatted with him another time when he wasn't my server. Another good server there is Andy.
Old Jun 11, 2004, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

eBrochure that might help

To Mephisto101:

I stumbled across this brochure in my car and found some very neat tips (and other not so neat ones) for many suggestions on what to do on Kaua`i. Here's the website that starts you off on #1 (I believe there are 101 different suggestions):

http://kauai.101thingstodo.com/guide...ail.php?id=973

Some seem to be somewhat commerical (like watching Red Dirt shirts be made) but others are practical, worth the browse.

I see they've got one for every island (I've got a hard copy version of O`ahu).

http://oahu.101thingstodo.com/guide
http://maui.101thingstodo.com/guide
http://bigisland.101thingstodo.com/guide

If I come across any other websites like this, I'll be sure to let you know.

aloha

Last edited by slippahs; Jun 11, 2004 at 12:27 am
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:52 pm

depending on how adventurous you are, try Kipu Falls. A ton of fun and a highlight of my recent trip (and of the summer I spent on the garden isle 12 years earlier).

Always go with Shave Ice for dessert!
Old Dec 23, 2004, 7:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat, MR Gold, US Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SW same as everyone else!
Be sure to visit Polihale Beach and watch the sunset. It is on the extreme Western end of the island.

It is a bit of a schlep and the last 30 minutes is over a rutted out dirt road, but it is worth it. You can see the island of Nihau (sp?) from here and it is VERY peacful.

slippahs - i hope this wasnt one of those "Secret places" we're not supposed to talk about?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.