Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Kaua`i Activity and/or Must-Do" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: WN A+CP, UAL, Marriott LTPPE
Originally Posted by mw3538
Is this hotel decent?
I have stayed there twice and my son is getting married there in November.
It is a resort and is quite nice. Beautiful Pool and the landscaping is outstanding!
Hint: Buy the mug! ^ ^

If you can swing it I would recommend getting scuba certified before you go. Hawaii has wonderful beginner dives ^
You should have a great time.

Depending on your schedule, right now inner island plane tickets are an unbelievable $19 OW. A quick island hop might not be to expensive.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:42 pm

What would you recommend as far as restaurants? Is this hotel decent?
Here's the Wizard Publications review of it, which seems favorable:

http://www.wizardpub.com/kauai/krkauaimarriott.html
Old Apr 24, 2007, 12:44 pm

Marriott will work fine. Nice place (not fantastic, but decent). Okay location. Not great because its in Lihue and not a destination resort like Poipu or North Shore. Nice small beach though. Somewhat seedy county park and industrial harbor area is adjacent.

As stated previously, Kauai isn't the place to come for fine dining. Period. So I suggest you not waste much time seeking it out. With that in mind, you'll find fair food.

It is the natural beauty of the island that is the unequivocal highlight of a visit here. Suggest you seek that out in its various forms and enjoy.

Car rental: normal means. Try codes found on the FT car rental forums, also IslandAir portal had good rates (perhaps no longer?).

Ask more questions as your planning proceeds.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond
I would suggest trying priceline for rental cars. I pricelined a convertable for a honeymoon in Kauai at $25 a day around the same time period as your trip. Rental was from Alamo and everything was perfect. Rentals can be had for less on priceline if non-convertable but convertable is the best bang for the buck and besides, its Hawaii and I can't think of a better place to have a convertable. Happy honeymoon.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Welcome to FlyerTalk, mw3538.

As others have suggested, there's quite a bit of information here in the archives that might answer your questions about Kaua`i and the Marriott.

For example, if you go to the Marriott Forum (click here) and search the archives for "Kauai", a number of threads appear. You may also want to take a look at www.tripadvisor.com

The FAQ and archives for this forum also contain many threads on Kaua'i, including where to dine and what do do.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Aeroplan SE100K
Originally Posted by dukenilnil
I would suggest trying priceline for rental cars. I pricelined a convertable for a honeymoon in Kauai at $25 a day around the same time period as your trip. Rental was from Alamo and everything was perfect. .
dukenilnil, just out of curiousity, what convertible did you get from Alamo? Was it a PT Cruiser? Mustang? Sebring? I also pricelined a convertible from Alamo and would like to know what sort of convertibles they provide in LIH

I really hope it's not a PT Cruiser!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Try out this website for things to do http://gohawaii.about.com/od/kauai/t...auai_to_do.htm
Old Apr 24, 2007, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Don't hurry out of the airport when you arrive. Enjoy the way the air smells and feels. You have arrived. Even the Hawaiian background music works there. Don't let the production-line car rental experience ruin the mood.

Snorkle. If you don't know how to use them ditch the fins. I love the fish.
There is probably snorkling at the hotel, and that can be a decent body surfing beach. My recommendation though is Beach House Beach east of Poipu, which is better than Poipu itself, unless there are swells from the south are too high. Tunnels Beach up north can be great in flat sea but can often be too rough, is a bit hard to find, and little parking . Beach House is more predictable on all three.

Buy a rash guard sun protection shirt and a hat for the beach right off the bat. K-Mart isn't exotic but they are cheap.

Go to the end of the eastern highway west of Princeville and hike the Napali Coast. At least puff up the first big cliff for the view. There are more adventurous continued hikes to a small beach which is a hard hike but a great view. Then back to some waterfall which is so very Hawaii but hard enough I'm too old to do it again.

Go up to Waiamae Canyon past Kokee Lodge and check out the incredible overlook. At least hike far enough back in to get to the boardwalk. Can be very wet and you may have to turn around, but its worth going in a ways.

Goofy short stop west of Poipu is the Spouting Horn sea geyser. Five minute attraction but worth it. To get there you have to go through the Tree Tunnel and Kohola Town. Kohola Town is a goofy little fun place worth stopping in to walk around. Buy a Hawaiian plate lunch next to Sueoka's Grocery and take it to Poipu State Park. One is enough to share.

Duke's behind your hotel is not fine dining so much as enjoyable. The lower level has smaller plates and better prices. If you really want a fine dining experience I'd try Tidepools at the Hyatt, but Duke's is more my price and relaxed. There is a Roy's if you like Roy's, but the setting is nothing special and not on the beach.

At the far northwest end of the west highway is a really long walking beach. There is a swimming place at the far end you can sometimes get in when the surf is down, and something called the Queen's Pond at the other end that is a big wading pool.

Was at your hotel five years ago and it was really nice then, but my favorite hotel in the whole world is the Hyatt, partially because of the salt water lagoon pool next to the beach. If you park in the beach access parking next door and walk along the beach really incognito (like not carrying Marriott towels) I'm sure you could get in unnoticed. They don't check rooms except for the slide.

Go to Barnes and Noble and get Kauai Reveled by Harriett Somebody and Andrew Somebodyelse. Blue book in travel section. Great preplanning resource.

Last edited by jayer; Apr 24, 2007 at 5:36 pm
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Good ideas from jayer - The lodge at Koke'e has amazing coconut pie - discussed in another thread.

The little town by Poipu is Koloa!

The hike he discusses is the Kalalau Trail, discussed in more detail in the thread I linked above.

The far northwest beach is Polihale also in the link above.

And, if you can afford it - a massage at the Anara Spa at the Hyatt is great. You can access their services on the Hyatt website.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by jayer
Go to Barnes and Noble and get Kauai Reveled by Harriett Somebody and Andrew Somebodyelse. Blue book in travel section. Great preplanning resource.

Just ordered both on line today! Thanks for the input. If you think of anything else please let me know.
Old Apr 24, 2007, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Never Pass Up a Kauai Sunset

Just ordered both on line today! Thanks for the input. If you think of anything else please let me know.
If you have a western view ocean view handy and there isn't cloud especially. Last night of last trip we got our second green flash. Only took about a dozen Hawaii trips between first and second, but it was worth every sunset.

And try Lappert's ice cream, with about enough milk fat to choke a gorilla. A bit hard to find but worthit at least once. I like "Road to Hana" best. And see if the hotel will throw in an extra free room for your new best friends and travel advisors Mr. and Mrs. Jayer.

Congratulations and you will love Kauai.

Last edited by jayer; Apr 24, 2007 at 5:44 pm
Old Apr 24, 2007, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by mousepotato
dukenilnil, just out of curiousity, what convertible did you get from Alamo? Was it a PT Cruiser? Mustang? Sebring? I also pricelined a convertible from Alamo and would like to know what sort of convertibles they provide in LIH

I really hope it's not a PT Cruiser!
Alamo's convertibles are Sebrings. National has Mustangs, so it's possible to get a Mustang from Alamo too, I guess. I have not seen a PT Cruiser convertible rental on the island.

Originally Posted by jayer
And try Lappert's ice cream, with about enough milk fat to choke a gorilla. A bit hard to find but worthit at least once. I like "Road to Hana" best. And see if the hotel will throw in an extra free room for your new best friends and travel advisors Mr. and Mrs. Jayer.
The Lappert's on Kauai (the only store that I'm aware of) is actually quite easy to find. It's in the shopping village in Old Koloa Town. And bring a pocketful of cash.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hertz and Avis have Mustangs, I think National is switching to them, but Alamo generally gets National's dinged and old hand-me-downs, so don't look to them for a Mustang. I've not seen PT Cruisers in any fleet for a long time, given the trunk is the size of a glovebox.

What is your rate at the Marriott? If it's over 200/nt, consider calling Hyatt reservations and see if they have any Stay Certificate nights available for your dates. They are about 240/night all-in (including taxes) and the Hyatt is considered by some to be the best resort on Kaua'i or at least on par with the Princeville.

Make sure you get to Kalalau Lookout before 10am to avoid clouds, and take the hike down the closed road past the upper parking lot about 20 minutes to the viewing platform for the best views - the first viewing area adjacent the lower parking lot is not nearly as good. The National Tropical Botanical Garden is worth a visit if you have time.

For eats, check out Koloa Fish Market, Fish Express, Pono Market and Mark's...and make sure Hamura's Saimin is on your list for sure. Don't look for fine dining on Kaua'i, just go local. If you want romance, get some takeout from Koloa FM or Fish Express, and do a sunset picnic dinner on the beach.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
We found Roy's to have passable "fine dining" food. It's a chain, but if you're looking for that kind of thing, it is decent.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:24 pm

concur with bocastephen on kaua'i food ideas and on hyatt vs. marriott.

also with magiciansampras on roys (for some reason though, I find semi-arrogant poor service with mediocre chain restaurant food unappetizing).

original (and headquarters) lapperts is in hanapepe on the highway (mauka side). as ILuvParis stated, bring a wad. Plan on up to $7 per mediocre cone. Not to many takers as we drive by, but at $7/per, they don't need many. They seem to heading out of business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.