FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Kaua`i Activity and/or Must-Do" Thread
Old Apr 25, 2007, 9:17 am
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hertz and Avis have Mustangs, I think National is switching to them, but Alamo generally gets National's dinged and old hand-me-downs, so don't look to them for a Mustang. I've not seen PT Cruisers in any fleet for a long time, given the trunk is the size of a glovebox.

What is your rate at the Marriott? If it's over 200/nt, consider calling Hyatt reservations and see if they have any Stay Certificate nights available for your dates. They are about 240/night all-in (including taxes) and the Hyatt is considered by some to be the best resort on Kaua'i or at least on par with the Princeville.

Make sure you get to Kalalau Lookout before 10am to avoid clouds, and take the hike down the closed road past the upper parking lot about 20 minutes to the viewing platform for the best views - the first viewing area adjacent the lower parking lot is not nearly as good. The National Tropical Botanical Garden is worth a visit if you have time.

For eats, check out Koloa Fish Market, Fish Express, Pono Market and Mark's...and make sure Hamura's Saimin is on your list for sure. Don't look for fine dining on Kaua'i, just go local. If you want romance, get some takeout from Koloa FM or Fish Express, and do a sunset picnic dinner on the beach.