Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Puerto Vallarta hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Just a thought---If you're going with friends why not rent a villa? Better quality and not expensive if you're in a group. Most have private chefs included which is a total treat.
I will be traveling solo
Any suggestions for a hotel with huge pool? I like my daily lap-swimming.
I prefer nice over rundown.
Also, it is a plus if it is within walking distance to restaurants and bars.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:20 pm
Suspended

No one?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:11 pm

Take a look at this place. I have never stayed there, but it gets a lot of love on Trip Advisor. Location is right in the center of the Zona Romantica, with all the bars and beaches. It's a 3 star place but they have nice pools and right on the beach. They have some sister properties in the area with pool access as well.

For pools and niceness and location, this is probably as good as it gets. If you wanted to go a little further from the center of town, Hilton, Hardrock, Hyatt etc all have shiny brand new resorts, but it would be short taxi ride to get to the center.

http://www.hotels.com/ho230681/los-a...203z018193.d.c

Last edited by goteed1; Jun 10, 2014 at 3:11 pm Reason: Forgot link
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:28 am

Programs: HH Silver
Cant you do your laps in the ocean? There are not many hotels in the South Side that have big pools. At least what I would consider lap pools. I like the Tropicana, but some people consider it run down.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Cant you do your laps in the ocean? There are not many hotels in the South Side that have big pools. At least what I would consider lap pools. I like the Tropicana, but some people consider it run down.
I'm considering staying at the Fiesta Americana. Seems to have a large pool and be close enough to the nightlife.
Marriott, Westin, Hardrock, etc. are all too far away.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I'm considering staying at the Fiesta Americana. Seems to have a large pool and be close enough to the nightlife.
Marriott, Westin, Hardrock, etc. are all too far away.
That Fiesta Americana is halfway between the Airport and South Puerto Vallarta where all action is.
It is not walking distance (well, 45mins walking) to the gay beach (Blue Chairs) or the gay nightlife in south pv. So you will need to take cabs.
If you are going to take cabs anyway, why not pick the hotel you like the most regardless of location?

If you really want to be close, the only option is hotels without large pools or condos in the center of town. I stayed at a condo (no ocean view) a few blocks from Blue Chairs and it was super nice and modern. Since it was not Ocean View, it was DIRT cheap!!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
That Fiesta Americana is halfway between the Airport and South Puerto Vallarta where all action is.
It is not walking distance (well, 45mins walking) to the gay beach (Blue Chairs) or the gay nightlife in south pv. So you will need to take cabs.
If you are going to take cabs anyway, why not pick the hotel you like the most regardless of location?

If you really want to be close, the only option is hotels without large pools or condos in the center of town. I stayed at a condo (no ocean view) a few blocks from Blue Chairs and it was super nice and modern. Since it was not Ocean View, it was DIRT cheap!!
I am going during New Years. Nothing is "dirt cheap".
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I am going during New Years. Nothing is "dirt cheap".
It was dirt cheap relatively speaking (compared to an ocean front place). It is the same any time of the year.

Is $175/night dirt cheap?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2554065...%2F2015&s=rRc5

I am not recommending that particular one, but there are several others listed on airbnb for new year's week.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
It was dirt cheap relatively speaking (compared to an ocean front place). It is the same any time of the year.

Is $175/night dirt cheap?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2554065...%2F2015&s=rRc5

I am not recommending that particular one, but there are several others listed on airbnb for new year's week.
Looks nice, but I have no experience with airbnb.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:35 am

I have to agree with Carlos. Fiesta is not really reasonably close to the gay nightlife, and personally I would consider it "run down" compared to the others you mentioned. I think you will have to choose which you would rather have. A great, large pool, or close to nightlife. If you only go into town at night for a few hours, then spend the whole day at the resort, then one of the resorts in the hotel zone, or Marina would work. If you want to be in the thick of GAY, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, stay in the Southside and give up the lap swim idea.

I stayed in the hotel zone my first visit, and if I had to do it again, I would never go back. For me it was my worst nightmare come true, with children, college kids playing beer pong, exercise classes in the pools, fanny packs, time share sales, bad talent shows, ugh, everything I hate about vacation. The Southside is somewhere I would live.

Airbnb is just like everything else. Do your homework and you will be fine with it. I noticed you are traveling alone. Just keep in mind that you will not be able to take anyone you meet back to your room if you stay in a hotel or resort. You will if you stay in a condo booked on Airbnb or VRBO....

Last edited by tatterdema; Jun 13, 2014 at 2:47 am
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:13 am
Suspended

I stayed in the hotel zone my first visit, and if I had to do it again, I would never go back. For me it was my worst nightmare come true, with children, college kids playing beer pong, exercise classes in the pools, fanny packs, time share sales, bad talent shows, ugh, everything I hate about vacation. The Southside is somewhere I would live.

Airbnb is just like everything else. Do your homework and you will be fine with it. I noticed you are traveling alone. Just keep in mind that you will not be able to take anyone you meet back to your room if you stay in a hotel or resort. You will if you stay in a condo booked on Airbnb or VRBO....
How about the Sheraton?
Good points about families with screaming kids and obnoxious Spring-breakers. Did not think about that.
Another problem is the 7-night minimum that almost every condo is requiring. I am staying 5 nights only.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jun 13, 2014 at 4:57 pm
Old Jun 15, 2014, 7:45 pm
Suspended

La Terraza Inn looks pretty decent. Anyone stayed there?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:33 pm

I have never stayed there, but had a friend that did for a month. He liked it. It is a good location. Very quiet at night, but very close to the beach and nightlife. It is right across the street from Tropicana where I normally stay.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:29 pm

Here is an option also. I am pretty sure they allow guests, and the price over NYE is very reasonable. No lap pool, convenient location, steep climb to get to it, adults only. It used to a pretty nice hotel, but it has changed ownership since I was last in it, and the reviews seem to be all over the place. I noticed your post on Tripadvisor, maybe someone there can give you a better idea of what kind of shape it is in. It has gorgeous views.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/mx/amac...ability_target

http://www.hotelamaca.com/en/index.html#
Old Jun 16, 2014, 11:31 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I stayed at Tropicana and liked it too. Wouldn't consider it run-down, more like nice but nothing special.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.