Wiki Posts
Search

Puerto Vallarta hotels

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM
Puerto Vallarta hotels

Hi there. I will be going to PV in January. Any hotel or guest house recommendations? I wouldn't mind something somewhat "frisky"
Old Sep 17, 2011, 10:55 am

PV has quite a few choices for staying gay. If you are looking for "frisky," I think Vallarta Cora has kind of a Bath house reputation. They have a bar and a sauna type deal that's open to the public in the afternoon until the evening. I can't recommend, because I haven't been.

Hotel Mercurio isn't a bath house, but more of a social place, with a real popular happy hour. During high season, you will see rent boys at the happy hour, but all the same it's pretty easy to get to know fellow guests here. The rooms are comfortable, but dated. Service us great and prices are reasonable and include breakfast.

Blue Chairs resort isn't really frisky but they also have a real popular rooftop bar and shows in the evening. Also, of course a few steps from the gay beach where you could meet lots of other men staying in PV.

The Abbey Hotel is a big gay hotel, but it's pretty basic and it's not really a gathering place for gay men, more just a hotel, but some of the rooms have great views of the bay.

Casa Cupula is a 5 star gay resort that is really one of the best around in terms of room, amenities and service. It's not frisky but it's very easy to meet other visitors here and they throw a really fun party Friday nights for guests and they invite locals in to meet them. Usually the party winds up in the clubs downtown until the wee hours.

This link is probably the best up to date info on all gay things PV

http://www.gayguidevallarta.com/Lodging/gay.html
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM
Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP (3.5MM), UA Premier, Hertz President's Circle, Marriott
I stay at Mercurio about ten times a year. For 15 years I stayed at the Cora, it just got too sleezy. Try Mercurio!!
Old Sep 28, 2011, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Question Closest Non Gay hotel

Did not want to start a new thread. What would the closest(to the gay area) non Gay hotel that has a gym? Does not have to be fancy, but I'd like a gym as I use it on vacation.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:01 pm

In case you can't find a hotel with a gym, this past summer I went to this place to work out. It's brand new and pretty upscale compared to other gyms in PVR. I think they charge about $10 USD for a day pass. (Bring your own water, though, they don't have water fountains)

They have a great selection of weight/machines/cardio equipment. About a 10 minute walk from the beach.

http://www.thefitclub.mx/
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by goteed1
In case you can't find a hotel with a gym, this past summer I went to this place to work out. It's brand new and pretty upscale compared to other gyms in PVR. I think they charge about $10 USD for a day pass. (Bring your own water, though, they don't have water fountains)

They have a great selection of weight/machines/cardio equipment. About a 10 minute walk from the beach.

http://www.thefitclub.mx/
Thats a good idea, how far is this from the gay area.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 3:11 pm

It's down the street from the area of downtown where all the gay bars are. If you know where Paco's Ranch is, it's on the same street about 1 block further towards the river.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Did not want to start a new thread. What would the closest(to the gay area) non Gay hotel that has a gym? Does not have to be fancy, but I'd like a gym as I use it on vacation.
It's not a hotel, but we've stayed at the Selva Romantica condos many times - there is a small gym/fitness room. Nothing great, but better than nothing and we find the location great. We booked through pvrpv.com
Old Nov 2, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Has anyone stayed at Playa del Sol/Blue Seas? I think it's next to blue chairs. We are going to stay there the week before christmas. I hope it's ok. We rented a master suite on the 5th floor.

What are the best clubs/hang out spots during the week? Weekend?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 9:14 am

If that's the Blue Seas Resort, it's right on the beach, so a good location if you're a beach person. HOWEVER, the reviews on Trip Advisor are pretty bad. I take those things with a grain of salt, but they were bad enough to scare me away from the place.

Clubs during the week or weekend. The week before Christmas, the clubs will probably be kind of empty during the week. There are really only two big gay dance clubs, Club Manana and Paco's Ranch. Paco's has the ever popular Mexican drag show every night, so it does get a crowd around that time. Both clubs should be busy on weekends. Club Manana is a great club space with a pool and a lot of different areas to hang out, but they do charge the gringos to get in and drinks are more expensive here. Sometimes you can get a free pass to get into the club from your hotel though.

For hang out spots, it really depends on your taste. PV has lots of great places for hanging out with a cocktail or a beer. My favorite is Los Amigos, but it's more of a beer place, the owner is an expat from Texas who is a lot of fun. Very unprententious place to hang out and meet some locals and fellow tourists.

If you're more the Martini type, La Noche is a great little place and Frida's is quite famous for hanging out as well.

In the Olas Atlas (closer to your hotel) area I like Sama, there's an outside lounge right on the street that's very nice to sit and sip a drink. And the very tiny Anonimo is one of the friendliest bars I have been to anywhere.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:57 pm
Suspended

*RESURRECT*

Any idea how far in advance one needs to book Puerto Vallarta accommodation for New Years 2014/2015?
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:59 am

I have been down there twice for X-mas and once for NYE. The first time I made reservations in September and got reservations for Xmas pretty easily but the dates closer to NYE were sold out and the places I wanted to stay at. I ended up staying at the Abbey for one night.

The second time I made my reservations about 6 months in advance and had no problems for getting a room. The Blue Chairs and Casa Cupula tend to sell out early, if you're looking at the gay hotels. I ended up at The Mercurio both times.

PV is an incredible place to spend Xmas and NYE. Great town, really good local activities and an incredible fireworks display on NYE that goes on forever all over town.

If you are used to being here in the off season when it's easy to find a place to eat etc, it gets really crowded during this time for better or for worse. Restaurants, bars, beach all packed all the time.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by goteed1
I have been down there twice for X-mas and once for NYE. The first time I made reservations in September and got reservations for Xmas pretty easily but the dates closer to NYE were sold out and the places I wanted to stay at. I ended up staying at the Abbey for one night.

The second time I made my reservations about 6 months in advance and had no problems for getting a room. The Blue Chairs and Casa Cupula tend to sell out early, if you're looking at the gay hotels. I ended up at The Mercurio both times.

PV is an incredible place to spend Xmas and NYE. Great town, really good local activities and an incredible fireworks display on NYE that goes on forever all over town.

If you are used to being here in the off season when it's easy to find a place to eat etc, it gets really crowded during this time for better or for worse. Restaurants, bars, beach all packed all the time.
Thanks for the info.
I have never been to PV, but a friend of mine has been bugging me to go for over a year now.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
It's probably as good as you can get in Mexico but I'm not a huge fan of PV (way too many Americans-- guess that's Mexico--). That being said it's way better than Cancun!

Most of the nicer hotels are not in PV... think of PV as your 3* hotel experience with nightlife... I've tried a few of them-- Casa Cupula is fine.. nothing spectacular but super close to the old town and excellent food.

Just a thought---If you're going with friends why not rent a villa? Better quality and not expensive if you're in a group. Most have private chefs included which is a total treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.