Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying a speeding fine

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just to throw a bit of bandit into this...I have a ton of speeding fines in Germany, mostly from rental cars. I don't think I've ever paid a single one. I often get a letter from Sixt telling me that they need to charge me EUR5 to go through their files as the municipality has asked for it, and I call them and tell them I'm not prepared to pay that. I'm on my 12th year as a Platinum renter there, and no municipality ever sends the letter more than once. My licence is completely clean.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 7:40 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Ah, take a look at this thread then: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...ng-ticket.html

Expect some local attention of your fine is above 50€.

Regarding the moral issues of paying speeding tickets, read this: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...light=speeding

The admin fee at Sixt is 18.50€ or lower:

I 3.
The lessee and his vicarious agents shall be liable without limitation for the breaches of any statutory provisions, particularly for traffic and administrative offences, committed by them during the rental period. This also applies to breaches of statutory provisions or other regulations by the lessee committed just as/at the time when the rental period ends, such as e.g. leaving a vehicle in payable parking lots without paying the appropriate charge, leaving the vehicle in no-parking zones or suchlike. The lessee shall indemnify the lessor against any and all penalty and warning fines, fees and other costs, levied by the authorities or other bodies from the lessor because of any such breaches. As compensation for the lessor's administrative costs incurred in handling enquiries put to it by the prosecution authorities or other third parties in order to investigate administrative offences, criminal offences or any nuisance committed during the rental period, the lessor shall receive from the lessee a flat-rate amount of EUR 18.50 (incl. VAT) for each such enquiry, unless the lessee proves that the lessor incurred lower costs and/or loss; the lessor shall be at liberty to assert greater damages or loss.
A lower 10€ fine may not be followed up, more serious violations will most certainly get the police into play.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 8:37 am
Suspended

Paying a speeding fine

The last one was about three years ago and no one has come looking for me yet.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:13 am

Slightly OT - bank charges

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
No, it is within the SEPA and this includes 28 EU countries plus six further countries, even places like Switzerland and the UK. Relevant aspect is payment in Euro. Fees must not exceed fees for domestic payments....
Sorry to be dragging up this old thread, but...:

Just tried to transfer money into my German bank account from my Natwest current account and they want GBP 10 for the privilege - and that's for paying in Euro. Complained to their live chat person but he insisted those charges are legit.

Does anyone have any authoritative source?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 9:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Well, they are supposed to charge you the same amount they charge for a transfer inside the country. Since bank transfers are free for me inside Germany, transfers to Sweden or GB cost the same.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Paying a speeding fine

I never pay for sepa transfers from my German bank account to the UK.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Sorry to be dragging up this old thread, but...:

Just tried to transfer money into my German bank account from my Natwest current account and they want GBP 10 for the privilege - and that's for paying in Euro. Complained to their live chat person but he insisted those charges are legit.

Does anyone have any authoritative source?
Did you use IBAN and BIC and did it online? They will and may certainly charge if you do it the old fashioned way. My bank in the UK is HSBC and they do not charge.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:26 am

Did you use IBAN and BIC and did it online?
Yes, of course. All set up as a payee in my account.

They will and may certainly charge if you do it the old fashioned way. My bank in the UK is HSBC and they do not charge.
Good to know that HSBC don't charge, but what I need is a link to some document, preferably on a URL ending in .eu.int, which says that banks MUST NOT charge. The online chat person insisted that no such law or regulation exists, and that their charges are perfectly legitimate.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
Yes, of course. All set up as a payee in my account.

Good to know that HSBC don't charge, but what I need is a link to some document, preferably on a URL ending in .eu.int, which says that banks MUST NOT charge. The online chat person insisted that no such law or regulation exists, and that their charges are perfectly legitimate.
What about using google "sepa UK" for a start. Another method, and I used that method more than once, is to prohibit your bank from simply posting the charge to your account and ask for a letter explaining their alleged entitlement in every detail. That will most likely put an end to it....
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:01 pm

What about using google "sepa UK" for a start.
I did just that after my chat with Natwest and did not find anything that suggested that banks aren't allowed to charge. That's why I came back here.

Another method, and I used that method more than once, is to prohibit your bank from simply posting the charge to your account and ask for a letter explaining their alleged entitlement in every detail. That will most likely put an end to it....
How can I do this when the charge is clearly shown during the transaction, and I have to agree to a total before I can proceed?

I'm not really all that worried... it's only a tenner, and I only feed my German account once or twice a year, so we're talking tweny pounds a year maximum, not really worth making a fuss about. I'm just intrigued, really - people here are telling me that there should be no charge, but I've not been able to verify this information. It would be nice if it was true, but where is the definitive source?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:15 pm

Anyone have a suggestion on how to pay from the USA besides a bank transfer? I just got the dreaded letter from the flash I experienced in June and my bank wants $70 for an International transfer...I have sent an email to the city that issued the ticket asking if they have other methods to pay besides a bank transfer...ny suggestions would be very welcome
Old Sep 4, 2014, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Ignore it?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:36 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Ignore it?
Certainly nothing I would receommend from a legal point of view.

However, if you have no plans to return to Germany in the near future ....

This aside, if you are in Europe, this might project might be interesting for you http://www.e-codex.eu/pilots/financal-penalties.html
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Paying a speeding fine

How much is the fine itself? Which car rental company did you go with and did they have your passport information? Like LondonElite, I've also ignored the letter from two summers ago and have been back to Germany half a dozen time since. I believe the stature of limitations runs out in 3-4 years. If you do go back within that time, don't do anything that might put you in a situation involving the police examining your drivers license.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by hospoman
Anyone have a suggestion on how to pay from the USA besides a bank transfer? I just got the dreaded letter from the flash I experienced in June and my bank wants $70 for an International transfer...I have sent an email to the city that issued the ticket asking if they have other methods to pay besides a bank transfer...ny suggestions would be very welcome

Western union offers the option to transfer money directly to a bank account in Germany. You can do it online or at a local grocery store that has the WU sign.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.