Wiki Posts
Search

Miami tolls are the biggest tourist rip-off in the country

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craz
I have my Garmin set to "avoid Tolls" but even that isnt helpful to/from MIA, as they have thrown up new toll locations that previously werent there so the GPS would put you on a Toll Road but have you exit before hitting the tolls.
. . . .

Since Avios is the best deal out of NY its MIA or nothing
Yup, there sure are a bunch of new tolls around the MIA airport. In the "old days," there was only one toll on 836 but now, it seems, every portion of the road is tolled.

And, you're right about Avios and MIA. It's about 10x easier finding Avios award tickets into MIA as into FLL. It's unfortunate, but that what it is.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
If you took the Dolphin Expressway (836) to the Palmetto Expressway (826), you hit a toll just west of Red Road. See the map on Page 3 of the .pdf document linked below:

http://mdxway.com/pdf/toll_rate_map.pdf
Belated "thank you" for this information. I can understand how I incurred the charge now. Not sure I would ever have escaped from the airport otherwise.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
You think it is bad for tourists, how about all the locals who transverse these highways. State Road 836 was $1.00 each eastbound at the 17th Avenue Toll Plaza and at the 97th Toll Plaza. Now anyone traveling east from the turnpike in Western Dade to downtown will pay $2.10 each way more than 4 times what they paid before.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I tried out my Sunpass for the first time last month. I appreciated the convenience, but wondered about how FL Tpke tolls per mile compare to other states. To me, it seemed expensive. Cost me $32.88 from Leesburg to the port of Miami and back. What's that, about 500 miles? So about six and a half cents a mile.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 3:49 pm

The Veterans Expressway beats that. 1.75 for a whopping 15 miles (at Sunpass rates) for 11.7 cents a mile. The toll by plate figure is even worse.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The Express lanes on 95 between FLL and MIA can get as high as $10 at peak times. Consequently, the non express lanes are jammed packed while there are relatively few cars in the Express lane. Tolls in FL seem to be much higher than other states.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended

Was just in MIA knowing that there are all sorts of new toll booths anytime my Garmin told me to get onto a toll rd (it used to put me on it for 1 or 2 exits before the toll booths = it was free) I simply ignored it

Once the construction is over all 1 needs to get out is head towards LeJune and NW 36th St and take 36th which is next to the 112 to the 95 Or stay on LeJune past the 112 and then follow the GPS(just make sure the entrance from 36th to the 95 isnt onto the Express toll lanes! 1 or 2 ramps puts you ONLY onto the 95s Express lanes, dont recall which.

This time I tried to find a way around the construction, didnt so I headed West to the 826 since I was heading to Aventura anyways (< 10 mins extra)

Coming back to MIA I went to feed my birds so it had me on the reg streets and was nice and empty and fast @ 1pm
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: DSM, USDM, BAEC, AAAdvan
Although it may have already been mentioned in this thread, consider purchasing a Sunpass if you visit Florida at least once a year. Although I am a FL resident, I had no real need for one but after getting caught in backups a few times on trips where a toll road was the best way to go, I went ahead an purchased one. A few years later, I moved south of Tampa Bay, so I cross the Sunshine Skyway twice a day, so that worked out in the end.

The Sunpass works everywhere in Florida, unlike E-Pass, so that is also a plus. There are also discounts on a number of the roads, so if you drive a lot on your trips, the Sunpass will pay for itself. You can order one, register it online, load it with, and set it up for automatic replenishment via your credit card.

For more info:

https://www.sunpass.com/index

Last edited by ExitRowOrElse; Jul 12, 2015 at 7:43 pm
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it possible to depart from the MIA rental car center to N I95 without tolls?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is it possible to depart from the MIA rental car center to N I95 without tolls?
It's always possible, but the neighborhoods you would drive through are considered high crime and should be avoided. Many of the tourist robberies in the past occurred because people avoided the highways that were tolled going east towards I-95 and the Beaches/Downtown areas.

I don't understand how people would put themselves in personal jeopardy to save a few dollars (actually $.70 is using the SR-112 Airport Expressway) to go to I-95. The only problem is getting the Sunpass transponder from the rental car agency or buying one from Publix/CVS Pharmacy for $4.95 which is credited back to your account when you register it online with a CC. This makes it free.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:19 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Can anyone confirm that I can still pay cash for the toll from the 112 to the I-95 when leaving MIA? I'd like to know in advance in case I get lied to by the rental car rep. I don't mind $1.75 in cash but given it is the only toll I will be going through, I don't want upselling to unlimited tolls for $$ per day on the basis that I cannot pay that first toll
Old Sep 24, 2015, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Can anyone confirm that I can still pay cash for the toll from the 112 to the I-95 when leaving MIA? I'd like to know in advance in case I get lied to by the rental car rep. I don't mind $1.75 in cash but given it is the only toll I will be going through, I don't want upselling to unlimited tolls for $$ per day on the basis that I cannot pay that first toll
I'm pretty sure you CAN'T pay cash for that toll anymore.

Indeed, if somebody could suggest a reasonably safe route to I-95 north from the MIA car rental facility, I would also appreciate it. I'm flying into MIA, but then headed to Ft. Lauderdale, where I will eventually return the car to FLL. So I would only have one toll (the short airport-to-I95 toll) that I would like to avoid and therefore also avoid all tolling issues. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:50 am

Miami tolls are the biggest tourist rip-off in the country

That would suck. I don't mind that toll at all. Obviously I'd mind it if I have to pay a number of tolls as part of a pass because I cannot pay cash there.

I just had a look at Google Maps for a toll free route and it showed me NW62 street joining I-95 about 5 miles later. Didn't look pretty when I checked it out in Streetview
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I'm pretty sure you CAN'T pay cash for that toll anymore.

Indeed, if somebody could suggest a reasonably safe route to I-95 north from the MIA car rental facility, I would also appreciate it. I'm flying into MIA, but then headed to Ft. Lauderdale, where I will eventually return the car to FLL. So I would only have one toll (the short airport-to-I95 toll) that I would like to avoid and therefore also avoid all tolling issues. Thanks.
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
That would suck. I don't mind that toll at all. Obviously I'd mind it if I have to pay a number of tolls as part of a pass because I cannot pay cash there.

I just had a look at Google Maps for a toll free route and it showed me NW62 street joining I-95 about 5 miles later. Didn't look pretty when I checked it out in Streetview
NW 62nd street is in the middle of Liberty City. There are many shootings a month in this area any time of the day, I would avoid this at all costs. This is from someone who had to drive the area every day due to job duties.

It would be better to drive SW 8th street to I-95 then go north on I-95 if you want to avoid the tolls. You will also see Little Havana, the site of the Calle Ocho Festival and maybe sample some of various Hispanic Cuisines. Just go South on LeJeune Road for approx. one mile from the rental car center and turn left. It will be approx. 3.5 miles to go from SW 42nd Ave to 6th Avenue where I-95's entrance will be on your right.

FYI, All tolls in Miami-Dade County are now collected via Sunpass only or Toll-by-plate which is double the price on MDX expressways.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99
NW 62nd street is in the middle of Liberty City. There are many shootings a month in this area any time of the day, I would avoid this at all costs. This is from someone who had to drive the area every day due to job duties.
Yes it looks a bit like GTA

It would be better to drive SW 8th street to I-95 then go north on I-95 if you want to avoid the tolls. You will also see Little Havana, the site of the Calle Ocho Festival and maybe sample some of various Hispanic Cuisines. Just go South on LeJeune Road for approx. one mile from the rental car center and turn left. It will be approx. 3.5 miles to go from SW 42nd Ave to 6th Avenue where I-95's entrance will be on your right.
I think I'd give this a miss too. I have tried plugging some of these street names into Google Maps and cannot really understand what you are saying. I appreciate that you most certainly know what you are talking about and could probably do this blindfolded, but I have lumpy experiences with getting completely lost around MIA, especially spring last year when they seemed to be doing plenty of works on the roads.

FYI, All tolls in Miami-Dade County are now collected via Sunpass only or Toll-by-plate which is double the price on MDX expressways.
I think it comes down to picking a car rental company with a toll policy that fits with your route.

I have reservations with Alamo and Sixt. So far as I understand, I go through 2 tolls which cost 70¢ each on a toll by plate basis

So with Alamo this will cost me $5.35
Sixt without opting in for tolls will cost me $11.40
Sixt opting in for tolls costs $31.80

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.