Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Cancelling Finnair Plus membership and re-registering

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelling Finnair Plus membership and re-registering

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Question Cancelling Finnair Plus membership and re-registering

Hi!

I have been reading this great forum for many years, but I have never posted anything until now, so bare with me, if I make mistakes .

I booked Finnair flights for me and my girlfriend from Helsinki to Tokyo via Prague in business class (cheaper tickets). I calculated that we will both get Finnair Silver cards (the first "real" card in their program) because of our flights. The problem is that my "point period" (don't know the real word, sorry) will end a few days after we leave on the trip. This means that I will get half of my points/miles for this year and the rest for next year, so I won't get the Silver card even though my girlfriend will.

This is a problem, because we can't benefit from only one card, because when the other one uses Priority check-inns and Lounges, the other one can't without the card.

Finnair said that they can't move the points/miles to the next period even though it is only a few days (asked them to reconsider - no word yet).

So my question is this. What if I cancel my Finnair membership and immediately apply for it again? I don't have any points to lose, so it wouldn't matter to me. This way I could get a fresh start and get the Silver card. I couldn't find any rules that forbid this, but you never really know.

I would appreciate your insight on the matter if this is a wise choice or do you think it will backfire someway?

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT! I don't know the Finnair rules specifically, but most programmes have policy of not allowing the same name/address combination to be used like this. I'm sure you could make some minor changes so that a computer couldn't pick it up. (Have you read the Finnair terms and conditions on this?)

If you are flying HEL-PRG-NRT, wouldn't the second flight be on JL? You may need to check earning rates on that fare, since I class (the cheapest business fare) earns only 70% mileage.

Edit 1: Out of interest, I read the T&Cs and couldn't find any reason not to do this. Good luck.

Edit 2: There are no non-stop flights between PRG and NRT/HND. Are you sure about your routing/airlines?

Last edited by LondonElite; Oct 19, 2015 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks! I didn't find anything in their terms and conditions about this, but it is possible that I have missed something. The second flight is still Finnair even though JL is possible on some days. So everything else is in order, but I just have to figure out if I can cancel and re-register on the program. Wouldn't want to risk it for nothing .

Edit: Thanks! I hope I can get it one way or the other, because it would feel kind of stupid not to get the Silver-card even though I paid for both of our flights. True, the flight goes through Helsinki. So we will fly HEL - PRG (previous day) PRG - NRT - HEL - PRG - HEL. The tickets are almost half price when starting the trip from Prague instead of Helsinki even though the flight from Helsinki to Narita is exactly the same. I have done this before and it's a bit "stupid" to have to do this, but I save so much money that it's reasonable.

Thanks for your answers!

Last edited by Pako Arjesta; Oct 19, 2015 at 7:19 am Reason: Answer to other edit
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pako Arjesta
Finnair said that they can't move the points/miles to the next period even though it is only a few days (asked them to reconsider - no word yet).
I think you may have asked the wrong question. I doubt they can move miles arbitrarily to another period.

What you should ask instead is whether they can change your period on your account to reset earlier (in essence, do what getting a new account would do without getting a new account).
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks! That didn't even cross my mind, so I will do that. Win-win situation, because it's a lot easier to everybody.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:53 am
Suspended

Did you read my post 2 after the re-edit? I don't really understand your flight sequence (in particular PRG-NRT/HND), and you may wish to check what airlines and fares bases you are on to ensure that all of this is truly worth your while.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Did you read my post 2 after the re-edit? I don't really understand your flight sequence (in particular PRG-NRT/HND), and you may wish to check what airlines and fares bases you are on to ensure that all of this is truly worth your while.
I tried answering it in my own edit, but sorry, if I didn't make it clear .

Everything is in order with the flight sequence, but thanks for your concern. I'm flying with Finnair from Helsinki to Prague for one night, then I will fly from Prague back to Helsinki, change planes and continue to Narita. The same when flying back. This way I get almost 50% off from the plane tickets. It's all Finnair on my particular flights even though also JL flies at the same time as Finnair (they leave 5 or 10 minutes apart). Did this answer your question? Finnair has already told me that my girlfriend will get the Silver with my particular flights, so I know I'm right about this. Still thanks !
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pako Arjesta
I tried answering it in my own edit, but sorry, if I didn't make it clear .

Everything is in order with the flight sequence, but thanks for your concern. I'm flying with Finnair from Helsinki to Prague for one night, then I will fly from Prague back to Helsinki, change planes and continue to Narita. The same when flying back. This way I get almost 50% off from the plane tickets. It's all Finnair on my particular flights even though also JL flies at the same time as Finnair (they leave 5 or 10 minutes apart). Did this answer your question? Finnair has already told me that my girlfriend will get the Silver with my particular flights, so I know I'm right about this. Still thanks !
OK that all makes sense. In typical FT fashion you are flying a lot more for a lot less and getting extra miles ^. I'd enjoy a nice night in Prague with a good dinner!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
OK that all makes sense. In typical FT fashion you are flying a lot more for a lot less and getting extra miles ^. I'd enjoy a nice night in Prague with a good dinner!
True, so true . We only really have time to sleep in Prague, but we get to eat on the plane because of businessclass. But hey, it's way better this way .
Old Oct 21, 2015, 1:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk Pako Arjesta.

As this pertains to AY, we'll relocate your post to the appropriate forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:53 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
According to the terms and conditions, a member can cancel their membership at any time, by writing to Finnair. And there is no rule against re-registering, and it is very unlikely they would try to match new member applications against older accounts.

However, there is no rule against having 2 accounts either. it seems less problematic to just apply for a new membership and start using that account number instead of the old one.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
You are not the only one finding Prague a very good origin for Far East flights in business with stop overs in Helsinki, i.e. at home It easily makes 50000+ points having two returns to Prague and one return to the Far East. And besides, Prague is a very nice destination for a weekend get-away. Doing it myseld as well in the spring!

Just to make sure your new registration doesn't run into any stupid unforeseen problems, how about using for instance your business address istead of your home address in registration and not giving the same telephone number you already have in your current profile, you can then change them later on.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:53 am

Programs: AY+Plat
You can open new account. I have two accounts for several years( with two different email addresses), one for collecting miles from personal flights and other for miles from business related flights as required by my workplace. From Finnair's point of view both are personal account.

Last edited by lento; Oct 21, 2015 at 4:00 am
Old Oct 21, 2015, 4:34 am

Programs: AY+Plat, ALL Plat, Scandic L2
You should be able to change the customer number at on-line check-in, possibly even by just editing your existing booking as soon as you created the new account.

I very much doubt that you can get Finnair CS to change the accounting period of your existing account.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:41 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by lento
You can open new account. I have two accounts for several years( with two different email addresses), one for collecting miles from personal flights and other for miles from business related flights as required by my workplace. From Finnair's point of view both are personal account.
This. I am in the same boat. Or plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.