Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Finnair | Finnair Plus
Reload this Page >

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lkrt
On ARN flights, a cold sandwich with beverages is served. On all other SH flights, the service includes "a hot main meal, something sweet and beverages".

Beverages include sparkling wine (Bernard-Massard Cuvée de l'Ecusson), white wine, red wine, beer, cognac, whiskey, vodka, cream liquor and soft drinks.

Iberia-operated MAD and BCN flights have Iberia service with starter, hot meal and proper dessert. On these flights, a different set of beverages is served (IB selection).

Destinations with sandwich:
ARN

Destinations with hot meal only (no starter) and something sweet:
AMS BER BGO BLL BLQ BRU BUD CPH DBV DUS FRA GOT HAM KRK MUC NAP NCE OSL PRG SPU TOS TRD VCE VIE VNO WAW ZAG

Destinations with starter, hot meal and something sweet:
AGP ALC CDG DUB EDI FCO GVA KEF LHR LIN LIS MAN MXP OPO TLV

SPML - Special meals, examples and links (incomplete list)

SFML - Seafood meal, eg Salmon lasagna, Smoked salmon. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VLML - Lacto-ovo vegetarian meal. Example 2
RVML - Raw Vegetarian meal. Discontinued as of 23-09-27
VGML - Vegetarian / Vegan
FPML - Fruit platter meal
Print Wikipost

Finnair Shorthaul Business Class Food

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 4:02 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by intuition
No bones in this poor little baby.
I had the same food Friday on CDG-HEL. Tasty fish! Excellent service too, chatty purser.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
HEL-PRG afternoon departure

HEL-PRG AY717 departing 17:35

On offer was
  • Smoked white fish terrine and marinated tube chanterelle
  • Chicken breast with lemon-thyme sauce and cream potatoes
  • Chocolate cake and blueberries
The entré was looking really good but slightly disappointing. Terrine was very good, but chantrelles were completely without flavor. And, in my taste, the pickled onion (or whatever that is) was not a good fit with the delicate seafood taste of the terrine.

The chicken was surprisingly good. Initially I was thinking "Meh", but once I got some salt on the dish, it kicked butt. It might look simple, but it was one of the best tasting meals in a while.

Finnair seems to have a cocolate thing going currently. I personally don't like heavy chocolate as desert, but I think anyone who does will find this desert good.

And on services I can report
a) Priority boarding was enforced in HEL! (I always claimed it never works in shorthaul ex-HEL, but right in my face it did today!)
b) meal served with all lids left on. As a slow eater, I kind of see the point of trying to keep the hot meal warm longer, but it does not look very nice. And you get to keep all the trash somewhere on your tray.
c) Departure got delayed 10 minutes or so, because "no push-back-tractor" was available. Is this a sign of what is coming? HEL lacking resources for AY expansion?
d) No platinum recognition during flight. A english newspaper I've never seen before was offered. I declined, asked for HBL but none was available.
Attached Images     
Old May 16, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: AY Gold (OWS), SK Gold (*A Gold), airBaltic VIP, Hilton Gold, PP
d) No platinum recognition during flight. A english newspaper I've never seen before was offered. I declined, asked for HBL but none was available.
Why are you guys so upset about recognition? During a recent MH flight the chief purser came to me saying: "Sir, it is such a honour to have you aboard this flight..." (etc. etc.). I only felt embarrased!
Old May 17, 2016, 1:36 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I'm not very upset.
I am reporting the lack of recognition since AY announced that they changed policy and that purser is supposed to personally welcome higher tier members.

However, the recognition thing is more than a little chat. It is a social contract. What the purser actually says is "I know you are a frequent flyer, and now you know that I know. So we are in agreement that you might have some expectations on our service that the others on this plane might not have".
Old May 17, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Back on topic, I gather from responses and my own (not that many on sh but still) experience that the sh J food offering has improved as of late?
Old May 17, 2016, 3:39 am
Moderator, Finnair

In the light of recent experience on the business light service on longhaul (AY21/22) I must say SH J food is excellent.
Old May 17, 2016, 4:02 am

Programs: AY+ Plat and several other cards
In the light of recent experience on the business light service on longhaul (AY21/22) I must say SH J food is excellent.
Business light now also on AY21/22? I can understand quick dinner service on AY21 due to short flight time to enable even some sleep, but not business light -concept at all!
Old May 17, 2016, 11:25 am
Moderator, Finnair

Well, I might be going off topic, but if I didn't tell you this is from AY21 longhaul J, it could easily pass for short haul food.

These are 2 main courses (ie not the smaller second service). One is a Salad with a salad as starter, the other is the fish alternative. There was pre-dinner drinks but no amuse bouche. And everything served on a tray. I'm not the one who dubbed the light concept, but AFAICT this is business light.

(The official names of dishes are 1. Duck breast salad with fig, roasted hazelnuts and blue chese and 2. Pike-perch terrine, chanterelle sauce and potatoe with lemon)
Attached Images   
Old May 17, 2016, 11:28 am
Moderator, Finnair

May I also suggest people (especially those who work for Finnair!) to take a look at this short reoprt from SK
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sas-e...-pictures.html

Apparently some nordic airlines knows how to dress a table, serve not one but two proper starters, offer 4 main course options, provide utensils for each course, and so on...
Old May 26, 2016, 2:27 pm

VGML dinner on AMS-HEL

AMS-HEL, departure 18:50. Full two rows of J; an acceptably effective service.

Printed menu handed out (I was kept in the dark about my VGML, though), drinks before dinner.

Lids removed before serving. Starter was plain carrot and beetroot, nothing to write home about. Main was tofu and zucchini in a tasty sauce (this was more 1,5 weeks ago, can't remember exactly what it was) – pretty tasty, even had a noticeable amount of chili in it.

I guess the dessert doesn't need reviewing. If you are wondering where the Riitan herkkus have gone, order a special meal!
Attached Images  
Old May 27, 2016, 3:06 am
HJP

Programs: AY+ Gold
I had the same Duck breast salad with fig, roasted hazelnuts and blue cheese on AY5 that intuition mentioned above. The only difference was that this was served as the second light meal before landing.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:42 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by HJP
I had the same ... on AY5 ... The only difference was that this was served as the second light meal before landing.
Just shows they are indeed designed as light meals. The usage of these meals as the mail meal on some routes clearly is a concious decision by AY - the expression coined on FT (Business light) is certainly not inappropriate.
Old May 28, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: AY Platinum
So basically the only two options were salad or fish? Jeez, the biggest scandal here is actually not offering a warm meat dish...
Old May 28, 2016, 10:48 am

HEL-LHR meal a few weeks ago. Buckthorn marinated herring appetiser was quite tasty (but I wonder how widely people like pickled fish?). Two meatballs with potato, carrots and beans main was okay but not up to my home cooking standard. Dessert brownie was plain bad.

Otherwise a pleasant flight. A very nice crew. Meal was served with lids removed and drinks were actively offered throughout the flight. ^
Attached Images  
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, A3*G
AMS-HEL lunch time departure:

Cold smoken salmon
Beef roulade with bacon, mustard sauce, creamy potatoes and beans. Served with lids on.
Citron meringue tartlet

Way there I forgot to take picture since was too focused on Nicolas Feuillatte , but food was Chicked breast with lemon- thyme sauce and cream potatoes, same that was described few posts back by intuition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.