Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lancexfang
I saw comments about the Canadian Rockies properties getting booked up by tour groups and then release the rooms closer to the season.

Is it similar here at Mayakoba or is it just random? I'm looking at Apr 2018. For large stretches of days, no availability for fairmont rooms at all.

Does someone have insight about it? It surprised me a little that so far out, the basic rooms are already all gone...
I'm not aware of this being a property frequented by tour groups.

I did a quick search and availability seems to be wide-open during the week, but more limited during the weekend. There actually aren't all that many Fairmont rooms at this property.

I suppose it's possibly that a few wedding parties have booked/blocked quite a few rooms, but i have no inside knowledge.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Two quick questions:

1) What's the quality of the beach like? Has anyone ever had any issue with seaweed or similar? How would you rate the beach compared with beaches on various Caribbean islands?

2) What's the sea like? Are there strong currents?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Two quick questions:

1) What's the quality of the beach like? Has anyone ever had any issue with seaweed or similar? How would you rate the beach compared with beaches on various Caribbean islands?

Just back from my fourth stay this weekend. The beach is bigger than I remember... there were no seaweed issues this weekend but I know from a previous post there can be sometimes? They seem to clean it quite regularly. They have erosion going on for sure but they've added some artificial rocks 100m or so from shore to prevent it... the nice thing about Mayakoba is it's pretty hard to get to so very few beach vendors.

No strong currents during my stay. They added Paddleboarding since my last stay which is awesome. I had a great hour out on the board... they also have kayaking and hobie cats.

It was very busy from the AMEX Food and Wine event and local tourists from Mexico... I suggest booking the boat tour and El Puerto restaurant reservations ahead of time. We couldn't get them... but managed to walk in early and snag a table.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Two quick questions:

I thought the beach was very nice. Not particularly wide, but soft sand and ample swimming area. It felt considerably less crowded (we were there over spring break in March) than many other Caribbean island beaches we've been to recently. The kayak rentals were awesome, as well.

We didn't find any seaweed at that time. Currents were very light- no issue swimming, kayaking, or hobie. It was very windy two of the days we were out, and the currents were a bit more fierce on those days- but not atypical for the the of weather we were experiencing.

One of the days we had a couple of great pickup soccer and volleyball games with other families on the beach.

My only comment would be that it feels somewhat like a secluded/private beach. It IS somewhat smaller than I would've expected- not in a bad way, but it's not a large resort style beach.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Two quick questions:

Well, the news is good and bad...

April 2016 - beach was lovely, yellow flag (some waves, current) every day but just fine for swimming, kayaking and paddle boarding. Clean and lovely blue water.

March 2017 - Red flag for current and waves every day. SUPER windy. New beach chairs! Look so comfy and nice, but the beach was pretty deserted because there's so much seaweed. A huge bank running the entire stretch and piled up a the ends of the beach so you could no longer walk to the other Mayakoba resorts via the beach. They were running a tractor and using rakes but not making a dent. We spent our days at the pools. But 5 weeks later (as noted by Mikey above), the beach is great again.

I'm a huge fan of the Mayakoba so we will be back - the sargassum issue is natural, but unfortunately affected our trip this time.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I am looking to book a trip for the last week of August and I am hesitating between the Fairmont Orchid and the Fairmont Mayakoba.
Anyone been to both who could help me?

- The flight and the room would cost more for the Orchid
- Both destinations seem to have interesting sights, but I would be able to surf in Hawaii and it doesn't seem possible in Mayakoba
- Never been in Hawaii, never been to Mayakoba but been twice in Punta Mita
- The Mayakoba seem to be a better hotel (service + hard product) than the Orchid and seem to be a bit similar to the St Regis Punta Mita (?)
- Would be traveling by myself, if there's one destination that is better to mingle..
- Weather wise, is one destination safer to avoid rain?
- I haven't used my FPC certificates yet this year (Platinum) so, if the use of those certificates can be optimized at one property vs the other one...
- Anyone been able to upgrade to the rooms/suites that have butler service at the Mayakoba?
- Basically, I am looking to travel in a Fairmont Hotel for a week, to use my certificates and requalify as Platinum for next year (hoping that Accord won't change anything about the program) I am also open to other suggestions/destinations

Thanks in advance for your input

(Moderator, I posted the same message in the Fairmont Orchid thread but also posting here so I might get different answers, don't know if I'm allowed to do that, if not, please delete thanks)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Eagle_traveler
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I am looking to book a trip for the last week of August and I am hesitating between the Fairmont Orchid and the Fairmont Mayakoba.
Anyone been to both who could help me?

- The flight and the room would cost more for the Orchid
- Both destinations seem to have interesting sights, but I would be able to surf in Hawaii and it doesn't seem possible in Mayakoba
- Never been in Hawaii, never been to Mayakoba but been twice in Punta Mita
- The Mayakoba seem to be a better hotel (service + hard product) than the Orchid and seem to be a bit similar to the St Regis Punta Mita (?)
- Would be traveling by myself, if there's one destination that is better to mingle..
- Weather wise, is one destination safer to avoid rain?
- I haven't used my FPC certificates yet this year (Platinum) so, if the use of those certificates can be optimized at one property vs the other one...
- Anyone been able to upgrade to the rooms/suites that have butler service at the Mayakoba?
- Basically, I am looking to travel in a Fairmont Hotel for a week, to use my certificates and requalify as Platinum for next year (hoping that Accord won't change anything about the program) I am also open to other suggestions/destinations

Thanks in advance for your input

(Moderator, I posted the same message in the Fairmont Orchid thread but also posting here so I might get different answers, don't know if I'm allowed to do that, if not, please delete thanks)
I suggest Fairmont Maui instead of orchard. I've been to Mayakoba and Maui. Maui is a far better destination that Mayakoba and the weather is perfect in august. I've been to Maldives, all the Hawaiian islands, dubai, Bali, Caribbean. Maui is my favorite beach destination along with all the great road trips you can do (Road to Hana, Haleakala, etc.) I've been to the big island (where orchard is) and still prefer that to Mayakoba. You can see the volcano and drive up to the top of Moana loa (14,000+ feet high). great national park there.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by yankees555
I suggest Fairmont Maui instead of orchard. I've been to Mayakoba and Maui. Maui is a far better destination that Mayakoba and the weather is perfect in august. I've been to Maldives, all the Hawaiian islands, dubai, Bali, Caribbean. Maui is my favorite beach destination along with all the great road trips you can do (Road to Hana, Haleakala, etc.) I've been to the big island (where orchard is) and still prefer that to Mayakoba. You can see the volcano and drive up to the top of Moana loa (14,000+ feet high). great national park there.
Thanks for the suggestion! How was the Fairmont in Maui?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:08 pm

We are going to be at the Mayakoba next week! So excited. I also love, love the Orchid and will be using the room, suite and Gold certs there later this fall/winter.

Personally, I really like the Big Island (Orchid) over Maui, BUT I haven't actually tried the Fairmont there. We just found that the Big Island (as a place) feels much more welcoming than Maui, where we felt scorned by locals of being tourists. Not everyone, but more than once we got the stink eye. So I'm kind of turned off of Maui because of that. The Fairmont Kea Lani does have all suites (pro) but the suites at the Orchid are lovely (we've done Exec Ocean View, Exec Gold Ocean View and an Oceanfront suite on various visits). The Big Island has Volcano National Park, Mauna Kea, Waipio Valley, the Captain Cook monument bay (can't remember the name) and some amazing farmers markets and places to wander.

Hawaii will ensure better weather I'd guess, but currently the forecast for Mayakoba next week is great. Have fun, whatever you decide to do!
Old Aug 22, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by curl
We are going to be at the Mayakoba next week! So excited. I also love, love the Orchid and will be using the room, suite and Gold certs there later this fall/winter.

Personally, I really like the Big Island (Orchid) over Maui, BUT I haven't actually tried the Fairmont there. We just found that the Big Island (as a place) feels much more welcoming than Maui, where we felt scorned by locals of being tourists. Not everyone, but more than once we got the stink eye. So I'm kind of turned off of Maui because of that. The Fairmont Kea Lani does have all suites (pro) but the suites at the Orchid are lovely (we've done Exec Ocean View, Exec Gold Ocean View and an Oceanfront suite on various visits). The Big Island has Volcano National Park, Mauna Kea, Waipio Valley, the Captain Cook monument bay (can't remember the name) and some amazing farmers markets and places to wander.

Hawaii will ensure better weather I'd guess, but currently the forecast for Mayakoba next week is great. Have fun, whatever you decide to do!
Thanks curl, enjoy your vacations in Mayakoba
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Eagle_traveler
Thanks for the suggestion! How was the Fairmont in Maui?
Fairmont in Maui was great! lovely property with amazing sunsets and great breeze. I love how you can see the other islands in the distance from Maui. As for the other commenter mentioning stink eyes in Maui, I've been to Maui 6 times and never experienced that. Be humble and show aloha spirit and it is highly unlikely anyone will be rude to you.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:45 pm

Fairmont in Maui was great! lovely property with amazing sunsets and great breeze. I love how you can see the other islands in the distance from Maui. As for the other commenter mentioning stink eyes in Maui, I've been to Maui 6 times and never experienced that. Be humble and show aloha spirit and it is highly unlikely anyone will be rude to you.
Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:54 pm

We were shocked at the attitude we got from some people in Maui. Again, we did not stay at the Fairmont that time, so maybe was a Kapalua/Lahaina thing. (We stayed at the Ritz, before I was a Fairmont loyal and on property, everyone was great there too) I've just never experienced that in half a dozen trips to the Big Island. Maybe it was the Jeep we rented - does that make you look like an a**hole ? anyway, now my hub doesn't want to go back there.

You guys, I do need to update on one thing at the Mayakoba: The beach is stunning!!! It is double the size it used to be, more palapas and really quite amazing. Apparently all of the resorts in Mayakoba did beach work and you can now walk easily on the beach among all of the properties. (Which you could no longer do when we were there 6 months ago) If I could figure out how to share a photo on FT, I would.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:42 pm

I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with if you have stayed there.

1 - Are there any readily available ice machines or do I need to order ice from guest services.

2- has anyone done uber to get to playa del carmen? How much does that cost? Is $20 or so still the expected price for a taxi? what is the best way to get a taxi to pick you up there?

3 - what is considered an average tip percentage?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by trubador
I have a couple of questions that I am hoping someone can help me with if you have stayed there.

1 - Are there any readily available ice machines or do I need to order ice from guest services.

2- has anyone done uber to get to playa del carmen? How much does that cost? Is $20 or so still the expected price for a taxi? what is the best way to get a taxi to pick you up there?

3 - what is considered an average tip percentage?
1. I think there were some ice machines in each sector of rooms.
2. Definitely no uber available from the hotel, only available if you get picked up in MEX. Just ask for a taxi from the front desk, they only have sprinter vans, think shuttle vans. $20 should do it.
3. I don't think I tipped much at all. Their food iirc had service charges. For shuttles within the complex, tipped maybe a couple $ worth.
trubador likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.