FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Fairmont Mayakoba Riviera Maya
View Single Post
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:16 pm
mikeyyz

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Two quick questions:

1) What's the quality of the beach like? Has anyone ever had any issue with seaweed or similar? How would you rate the beach compared with beaches on various Caribbean islands?

2) What's the sea like? Are there strong currents?
Just back from my fourth stay this weekend. The beach is bigger than I remember... there were no seaweed issues this weekend but I know from a previous post there can be sometimes? They seem to clean it quite regularly. They have erosion going on for sure but they've added some artificial rocks 100m or so from shore to prevent it... the nice thing about Mayakoba is it's pretty hard to get to so very few beach vendors.

No strong currents during my stay. They added Paddleboarding since my last stay which is awesome. I had a great hour out on the board... they also have kayaking and hobie cats.

It was very busy from the AMEX Food and Wine event and local tourists from Mexico... I suggest booking the boat tour and El Puerto restaurant reservations ahead of time. We couldn't get them... but managed to walk in early and snag a table.