Wiki Posts
Search

One Mile at a Time [OMaaT] discussions [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by HadesNL
- Rant off -
Back on topic:
The Aman topic hit the 99 comments, generating pageviews and smiles and tears abound. Still amazing though he's not moderating but then again you can say freedom of speech or just smart sensationialism
I could be wrong here, but those negative comments could be pushing casual readers to become more emotionally attached to the blog in that they are forming a connection with the writer and are willing to defend them. Why else would someone take 10 minutes out of their day to defend someone like Ford? Those are the most likely people to sign up with Ben's credit card links. It's better to pander to that demographic than change your blog for people who will purposely avoid using your links. With all the new rules and limited MS'ing opportunities the real money is from the beginners and not the churners.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Lufthansa Frequent Traveler, Delta Hunk-Of-Irregularly-Shaped-Metal Medallion
I thought yesterday's post on bumps was down-to-earth, well-written, and informative. Something we may have been missing lately.
Old Nov 25, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I like today's post about PR that says he's been watching the JFK-YVR flight like a hawk for a good J fare, but then at the very end gives a HT to the OP of the thread in the MR forum. Which is it - did he discover the fare was low on his own or did he poach the discovery from FT? A HT indicates (to me at least) that someone else helped share in getting the information, not that someone else made the discovery and Lucky just copied it for clicks.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I like today's post about PR that says he's been watching the JFK-YVR flight like a hawk for a good J fare, but then at the very end gives a HT to the OP of the thread in the MR forum. Which is it - did he discover the fare was low on his own or did he poach the discovery from FT? A HT indicates (to me at least) that someone else helped share in getting the information, not that someone else made the discovery and Lucky just copied it for clicks.
He, and View from the wing, frequently write posts about topics/deals/issues that originate here -- and then give the famous HT to the person who started the threat. Gary is actually better than Ben in that he will start a post saying "as seen on FT..." Ben, however passses things off as his own, ex a line saying HT: xxxx.

So yeah, he converts our info into $ for him.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I can't believe this thread has been viewed over 320,000 times in 3 years. I'm certain Ben appreciates the publicity! @:-)
I can't believe this thread has been viewed an additional 100,000 times in the past 5 months alone.

Believe me, folks. Someone is winning here ... and it ain't you!

Keep funding his retirement.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:27 pm

What's that saying... if you think you're getting a product for free, then you're not the customer; you're the product?
Old Nov 27, 2016, 7:35 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I can't believe this thread has been viewed an additional 100,000 times in the past 5 months alone.

Believe me, folks. Someone is winning here ... and it ain't you!

Keep funding his retirement.
Page views on Flyertalk.com translate into income for OMAAT how, exactly?

Protip: They don't. InternetBrands, though, thanks you for your views of this thread!:-:
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Page views on Flyertalk.com translate into income for OMAAT how, exactly?

Protip: They don't. InternetBrands, though, thanks you for your views of this thread!:-:
I would assume that if this thread is being viewed, the easy assumption is that Lucky's blog is being viewed.

Speaking of, I am enjoying the excoriation of the factually wrong Polaris post that for some reason still hasn't been taken down.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I would assume that if this thread is being viewed, the easy assumption is that Lucky's blog is being viewed.

Speaking of, I am enjoying the excoriation of the factually wrong Polaris post that for some reason still hasn't been taken down.
Sure, but the dramatic "100,000 views in 5 months..." statement the quoted poster made trying to imply some huge readership increase to OMAAT is off base. Of those views here how many of us even post in this thread - not nearly that many...and how many actually go and click on OMAAT much less use his affiliate links and award booking service where he actually makes his substantive income? Many posts are responses to other posts in the thread that don't even require reading the OMAAT article.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Sure, but the dramatic "100,000 views in 5 months..." statement the quoted poster made trying to imply some huge readership increase to OMAAT is off base. Of those views here how many of us even post in this thread - not nearly that many...and how many actually go and click on OMAAT much less use his affiliate links and award booking service where he actually makes his substantive income? Many posts are responses to other posts in the thread that don't even require reading the OMAAT article.
True true, I would hope most people who post here educate themselves by reading the post in question they are commenting on (or replying to another's comment on), but I guess maybe not.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Amazing...I read and commented on a post of his yesterday and when I tried to go back today, it was gone. Not sure what is happening, but I was able to find it later on by searching from it. It is not visible on any of the pages though that one scrolls through. Hidden maybe?

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...tional-travel/
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

The kids story in the hotel room is definitely.. odd.

Last edited by izzik; Dec 7, 2016 at 11:32 am
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by izzik

Odd is an understatement. How do you not see three kids close enough behind you that they can run into your room right behind you? Before I even went in the room if these three kids were hovering near by I'd ask them where they should be and where their parent are?

He is an easy target if he and Ford can get punked by three kids.

Odd, indeed.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by cruisr
Odd is an understatement. How do you not see three kids close enough behind you that they can run into your room right behind you? Before I even went in the room if these three kids were hovering near by I'd ask them where they should be and where their parent are?

He is an easy target if he and Ford can get punked by three kids.

Odd, indeed.
What happened?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by izzik
but great for generating clicks and reader comments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.