Reload this Page >

The points and miles blog business model

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The points and miles blog business model

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 6:41 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I go to alexa for fun and I kind of like seeing my number get better/lower.

I listened to you guys that getting the toolbar helps so I attempted to get it only to be confronted with a bunch of pay options and one free option. The techie crap I had to do for the free option was too much for me so I gave up.

I have also been told that the Alexa numbers don't really mean that much. Only for a general indication how popular a site is. For me newbius (sounds better than newbie!), it is an easy indicator of "progress".

I finally figured out how to add Google Analytics to Wordpress site yesterday!
High Five
Old Jun 30, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, AAdvantage Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I go to alexa for fun and I kind of like seeing my number get better/lower.

I listened to you guys that getting the toolbar helps so I attempted to get it only to be confronted with a bunch of pay options and one free option. The techie crap I had to do for the free option was too much for me so I gave up.

I have also been told that the Alexa numbers don't really mean that much. Only for a general indication how popular a site is. For me newbius (sounds better than newbie!), it is an easy indicator of "progress".

I finally figured out how to add Google Analytics to Wordpress site yesterday!
High Five
There are times when I think you are with us, then I realise your daily update is written with quill and ink and facsimiled to a transcription company that for a reasonable fee creates prose via a typewriter that is subsequently scanned and printed for revision before being mailed to your publisher for production on your site, all arranged via Fivvr of course.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by brooklynmatt
There are times when I think you are with us, then I realise your daily update is written with quill and ink and facsimiled to a transcription company that for a reasonable fee creates prose via a typewriter that is subsequently scanned and printed for revision before being mailed to your publisher for production on your site, all arranged via Fivvr of course.
Lol, that was hilarious. And probably not that far from the truth
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
OK, Alexa. Potentially the last word ...

As I mentioned a few pages ago, I signed up for a 1 month free trial of the $10/month paid Alexa service. This involves putting Google Analytics-style code into Head for Points.

Today I have completed my free trial month and I had an email from Alexa to say that they will now be using the certified numbers.

Old rank as of yesterday:
Global 366,583 UK 17,889

Certified rank as of today:
Global 154,163 UK 4,980

.... which is quite a change, especially for the UK ranking. Although I did expect this, because Alexa is hardly used in the UK so I assumed that ranking was understated by even more than the global one.

Note that the new rank will not show online for 48 hours, so if you look now you will still see the old numbers.

Apparently the 'Global Rank' is based on a 3-month average whilst the UK Rank is based on a 1-month average. I don't know if the 'Global Rank' will continue to improve as 3-months of certified data drip into the system, or if they have simply tripled my 1-month numbers.

Last edited by Raffles; Jul 1, 2013 at 8:27 am
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:39 pm

Why do you say that creditcards.com is Chase's own site? It is owned by Bankrate.

I am referencing Brooklyn Matt's post #175.

Last edited by restonva; Jul 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm Reason: update
Old Jul 3, 2013, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by restonva
Why do you say that creditcards.com is Chase's own site? It is owned by Bankrate.

I am referencing Brooklyn Matt's post #175.
I meant that the affiliate (bankrate) informed me that Chase was only selecting 25 affiliates to work with, one of them being bankrate's own site creditcards.com

They are pushing bloggers to lead readers to creditcards.com and passing off a slice of the pie to them, in doing this the blogger loses editorial control of what links and cards are seen. In tandem with this creditcards.com becomes a much more 'credible' page in terms of keeping its affiliate links with chase as the bloggers are feeding the pipeline.

Can be dangerous when we are encouraged to 'push cards for those with bad credit' and we link to a page that has cards that are not good for credit repair.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The june data:

View Screen Capture

BA is doing pretty good, interesting to see F2B catching up.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:59 am

Thanks Oliver, this is pretty cool indeed!

I have matched ftg, mms, dd, as in [no data available], yes!

I knew MP was not getting much action but its low numbers are quite surprising to me.

For a new site F2B is doing quite well too.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:00 pm

Where's TPG?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Where's TPG?
He doesn't run Google Ads
Old Jul 24, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Raffles
He doesn't run Google Ads
Neither do the other 5 sites listed with no data available.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Neither do the other 5 sites listed with no data available.
Perhaps no Google Analytics too?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:41 pm

Its GDN Data, that is reflective of GDN metadata. Not related to Analytics. Not totally sure how to trigger tracking myself as it is supposed to be linked to Adsense, but I run that yet have zero GDN info. I think it may be related to Adwords Vs Adsense.

Yet again though, the moral of the story is people seem to hope for external validation from their placement in respect to others, and technology, reflecting real life, fails to give a proper answer here.

You can only compare apples and apples - anything that lists or ranks a bunch of sites is off target, based upon my experience of checking my stats.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by Raffles
Perhaps no Google Analytics too?
Nope, have 9 years worth of Google analytics data for my blog.
But I don't think that's public info.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The data only shows for entities that are actively pursuing ad business via GDN. The adplanner used to show some google analytics data till a few months ago, when it mysteriously stopped.

AFAIK, if you have google analytics on your site it doesn't mean that google will distribute the results to all and sundry unless you permit it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.