Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Encounters with racist police was part of the information the USG was parting with. It's not like the Greek police effectively administered tests to identify and weed out all Golden Dawn members and sympathizers in the Greek police force.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...-police-claims

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/ne...-greek-police/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-19976841
I understand your point, but let's not over-simplify things:

1) It's not Greek authorities you're talking about but individual policemen. The same is true for racist policemen everywhere else, such as in the States and in other places in Europe.

2) Although a (large?) part of the police is supposed to sympathize with the Golden Dawn, a clearly fascist and racist party, there's nothing that one can do to get rid of those policemen from the force, except when they violate the law. Just bear in mind that this so-called party is, unfortunately, represented in Parliament...

3) As for "effectively" testing the political beliefs of policemen and other public servants, this was done in Greece several decades ago. The practice, which to my knowledge isn't being followed any other EU country, was abolished when the Junta collapsed in 1974.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 2:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KLouis
I understand your point, but let's not over-simplify things:

1) It's not Greek authorities you're talking about but individual policemen. The same is true for racist policemen everywhere else, such as in the States and in other places in Europe.

2) Although a (large?) part of the police is supposed to sympathize with the Golden Dawn, a clearly fascist and racist party, there's nothing that one can do to get rid of those policemen from the force, except when they violate the law. Just bear in mind that this so-called party is, unfortunately, represented in Parliament...

3) As for "effectively" testing the political beliefs of policemen and other public servants, this was done in Greece several decades ago. The practice, which to my knowledge isn't being followed any other EU country, was abolished when the Junta collapsed in 1974.
None of that is news to me, and I'm anything but a person to oversimplify things.

I'm talking about Greek authorities as that is what Greek police are. But the fact is that Greece and some other parts of Europe have problems with racist police that are not a copy of what happens in some other parts of Europe. As I've indicated in my prior post, it's a substantial proportion of the Greek police force but far from the entire police force -- it's not just some random individuals, when talking about many thousands that are in the force and have the job cover and employment security to be more of a problem for some Americans than other Americans.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 11, 2017 at 2:35 am
Old Jul 11, 2017, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Would you describe the American (US) authorities as racist? Because as per your definiton, if the Greek "authorities" are racist, the American ones are über-racist. Start by counting bodies.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Would you describe the American (US) authorities as racist? Because as per your definiton, if the Greek "authorities" are racist, the American ones are über-racist. Start by counting bodies.
The US has a police brutality and other fatal violence problem that goes way beyond a racism problem. Greece is safer for most people than the US, but that doesn't mean the Greek police forces have a lower proportion of racists than US police forces -- it doesn't -- or that the risks of encountering racist authorities as a tourist of some sort is the same -- it isn't the same.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I think this thread has served its course, and veered rather off into a rather wider discussion better suited for other forums. I'm going to close it now. Please feel free to start a new topic if you have specific security queries for European countries not covered by individual destination forums.

stut
Europe Forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.