Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

25 minute connection in VIE...is that even possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25 minute connection in VIE...is that even possible?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDanishPenguin
If you're cutting it so close she'll miss the start of the semester due to a missed connection, she's arriving about 5 days too late.

Finally, if the 25 min connection is legal, take it. Should she miss it, they'll rebook her. If she doesn't, then great!
Perfectly fine advice when coupled with your earlier advice of arriving more than a day early for the start of the semester. Probably not good advice if it's the day before and it means the daughter gets to the dorm late at night, after a long day and the stress of traveling alone for the first time and missing a connection.
abeyro likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If you're a seasoned traveler, go for it (I might) - the ticket is protected, so worst case scenario, you'll end up on the same flight you'd have booked with a longer connection. VIE is a breeze to connect.

If you're a teenage girl, first time flying alone via an unknown foreign airport to start her semester - for chrissake, DON'T do it. She'll stress out the whole TATL flight thinking about missing her connection (which she very well might). Have her fly in a day or two earlier, book her a hotel room in VCE for a night or two, so she can be the first in line for registration when the dorm/school opens. I'm saying this from repeated personal experience
abeyro likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by mdc22474
I was perplexed that UA brought this up as a legit connection. The timing would be perfect if it worked. They also offered me the same ORD - VIE with an 8 hour layover (which would suck after that flight in coach) before continuing to VEN. Unfortunately that gets her in really late and she has to be at her orientation the next day.

Based on the feedback it sounds like it's about 50/50 to make the connection. Not very good odds.

This is her first time flying alone so I'm leaning towards having her fly in the day before through FRA with a nice 2:20 connection on Lufthansa. Worse case she can stay a night in VIE before the dorms open the next day.

PS - As I'm thinking about this I'm remembering my experiences flying from HNL - ORD by myself as an 18 year old on stand-by the whole way. I ended up going HNL/LAX/IAH/ORD over nearly 24 hours. It was a great way to "grow up" and gain confidence as a traveler. Times have changed I suspect.
I'd say it is less that 50-50. More like 10-90.

Don't do it.

If she has a long layover spring for a pass to the Jet Lounge. Has showers, snacks and wifi. 29 Euros.
abeyro likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Doable? Yes! Desireable? No.

I connected in VIE a few weeks ago going from US>Schengen. The flight was delayed over an hour leaving Dulles due to a previous MX issue which brought my estimated connection time down to about 25 minutes. I was in row 5 in J so it was easy to deplane quickly and made it through passport control and to my connecting flight in 10 minutes. I'm not sure how much lines would have built up for people de-boarding later.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Club, Amex Platinum, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
I/we don't know how old your daughter is, what her temperament is, how often she's been in German speaking or other foreign countries or how comfortable she is outside the US in general. However, I agree 100% with this:

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If you're a seasoned traveler, go for it (I might) - the ticket is protected, so worst case scenario, you'll end up on the same flight you'd have booked with a longer connection. VIE is a breeze to connect.

If you're a teenage girl, first time flying alone via an unknown foreign airport to start her semester - for chrissake, DON'T do it.
I would never consider putting my (presumably HS to college aged) daughter through that.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
35 min at VIE when on separate tickets?

Would an incoming OS CPH-VIE flight to connect to BR VIE-TPE 35 min later be possible when on separate tickets? (HBO/no checked luggage)

Actually also the incoming BR flight from TPE seems to fit to a OS VIE-CPH flight departing 35 min later.

Would it be crazy to book this on separate tickets? It has been many years since I was at VIE so I can't recall walking distance etc. I'm a seasoned traveler and in general I'm not afraid of travelling on separate tickets even with short time; but this one seems to be cutting it really close.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Completely impossible. Even if you didn’t have any walking distance st all, you are within minutes of doors closing. Any delay and you’re not going to TPE. But you know that separate tickets is not a connection....
Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: *G
You're better off throwing your money away and saving yourself the stress.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 3:54 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Would an incoming OS CPH-VIE flight to connect to BR VIE-TPE 35 min later be possible when on separate tickets? (HBO/no checked luggage)

Actually also the incoming BR flight from TPE seems to fit to a OS VIE-CPH flight departing 35 min later.

Would it be crazy to book this on separate tickets? It has been many years since I was at VIE so I can't recall walking distance etc. I'm a seasoned traveler and in general I'm not afraid of travelling on separate tickets even with short time; but this one seems to be cutting it really close.
Well, you need to go through immigration, and security when arriving from TPE, and I think some Schengen gates at VIE have security at the gate...

There has always been a free desk when I've gone through immigration at VIE, but sometimes there hasn't been a dedicated EU citizen desk and you'll be alongside a plane full of people from Taiwan.

If you were familiar with VIE then possibly I'd risk it on the inbound since getting to CPH another way shouldn't be too difficult on the same day, but you say you haven't been there for many years.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
If you were familiar with VIE then possibly I'd risk it on the inbound since getting to CPH another way shouldn't be too difficult on the same day, but you say you haven't been there for many years.
On the same ticket, yes. On separate tickets risking it may cost a big chunk of money. Presumably the whole idea behind the two separate tickets is to save money. SK AAR is better off booking different flights leaving more time between them.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Thank you for the comments, guys. They are not surprising; I sort of expected these replies.

Not to jeopardise the BR ticket, I think I will take earlier OS flight /the morning flight ex CPH - then I have 3½ hours at VIE before the TPE flight at 12:30PM. For the return I think I will take the chance with only 35 min at VIE before the morning OS flight to CPH; the next direct flight is only in the afternoon. The BR flight often comes in early and the worst case scenario is that I will have to rebook the CPH flight (70 EUR + fare difference) or buy a new ticket; both will not be the end of the day financially. I would hate to arrive arrive VIE with sufficient time to make the early OS flight to CPH but having to wait for the later due to being ticketed on the later flight only.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You obviously have a different risk tolerance to my own!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.