Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I want to book a holiday with my girlfriend but i am afraid

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 8:38 am
Original Poster

I want to book a holiday with my girlfriend but i am afraid

I have been suffering for generalised anxiety for about 9 years now. I used to suffer from panic attacks, OCD derealisation in the past but all that seems to be getting a bit better now using relaxation techniques and so on. I have always been afraid of flying, but before generalised anxiety hit me 9 years ago I was able to get on a plane even tough I was scared. I haven't been on a plane since and I almost cant even imagine myself stepping on a plane again. I really enjoy travelling though I just try to avoid flying at all costs, last year I went to France via the Eurostar and I loved it. I think its a matter of me getting on a plane again and getting used to all the sensations again. I am due to book a holiday with my girlfriend in the next few days to Venice, but she doesn't know that I am a fearful flyer. Im terrified now even though I haven't even booked the holiday yet, I know the weeks building up to the flight are going to be horrible, I don't know what to do. I also have exams to be worrying about I don't want to be overwhelmed by the stress of the holiday and exams. Should I book the holiday or should i not risk it incase I back-out and risk loosing all the money for the flights and hotels.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
1. Tell your girlfriend. Nothing to be ashamed off
2. I'd worry about the exams now (and the holidays, etc. for later)

There are seminars to people that are afraid of flying which can be helpful in mastering your anxiety.

On the basis that you travelled to France by train, I assume you live in the UK.

You may find a cheap flight to Brussels, Paris or Amsterdam. All three destinations allow you to test the waters as you can fetch a Eurostar back home from any of those destinations.

If all that doesn't help, then there's always the possibility of spending time somewhere that doesn't require flying. You get quick trains to Paris, Amsterdam and Brussels, where you can change to other high speed services.

You don't have to travel all the way to Venice for a romantic holiday. @:-)
SanDiego1K and Yoshi212 like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:45 am

There is a direct Thello night train from Paris to Venise, with prices starting at 35€.

Departure is around 7:30 PM and arrival around 9:30 AM.

https://www.thello.com/en/paris-venice/
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This is what I was going to say. A train journey can be so much nicer than a flight anyway. Why don't you look into this?
Old Apr 17, 2018, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Tell your girlfriend. If she's upset that it might impact her, find a new girlfriend.
Analise, nwflyboy and trooper like this.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kipper
Tell your girlfriend. If she's upset that it might impact her, find a new girlfriend.
Not only tell the girlfriend of the fear, but discuss what it means for the trip and financially if the OP would back out. So much better to deal with this directly rather than hide the anxiety and hope for the best. Plan the alternative together.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by JBord
Not only tell the girlfriend of the fear, but discuss what it means for the trip and financially if the OP would back out. So much better to deal with this directly rather than hide the anxiety and hope for the best. Plan the alternative together.
Exactly. The OP may discover that the girlfriend may prefer to go elsewhere, and not deal with flying, or the girlfriend may have her own anxiety and may be quite sympathetic.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 3:16 pm

Also consider doing the easyJet fear of flying course: Fear of flying course | Fearless Flyer. Your girlfriend can join you as well. It's generally very successful.

I think BA offers a similar course too.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I can sympathise, a family member went through some trauma and had anxiety issues after that. It is possible to get through this, it is not easy though. But it is worth it.

As mentioned the courses run by BA and
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ith-confidence

Easyjet
Fear of flying | easyJet

Are a good place to start.

Talking about your progress may also help you and others, so feel free to come back and update us on progress. All the very best
Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Several good suggestions already. I'd only add this: whatever you decide to do specifically about the upcoming trip, you will want to address this sooner or later for the long term. If you have a crippling fear of flying, it's going to limit your life. There's no reason to let that happen.

Good luck and have fun.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 4:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The author of this trip report: JFK-BOS-JFK: Overcoming flying phobia, or buying an $800 T-Shirt
describes finding the book for the BA fear of flying course to have been very useful to him. It might be worth getting the book to see how it works for you, then considering how you feel about the idea of flying.

As mentioned above, you can easily take the train to Venice. The Deutsche Bahn website is the best for searching routings around Europe, www.bahn.co.uk and if the journey is through Germany they will often sell you a ticket too.

It might be easier on you to go on holiday by rail and deal with flying separately, on a short round trip just to get over fear of flying instead of trying to combine facing your fear with trying to have a holiday with your girlfriend.

Good luck, whichever way you choose to do it.
Old May 1, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Ativan for the plane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.