Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

25 minute connection in VIE...is that even possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

My daughter is planning to study abroad this summer near Venice and I am trying to find flights (using UA points). I found a connection through Vienna (ORD - VIE - VCE) but the connection time is listed as 25 minutes! I'm really not crazy about her missing a connection to start her semester so I'm wondering if this is even feasible.

I've never been to VIE but in most airports even if the flight was on time 25 minutes would be pushing it. Any insights, thoughts, experiences, opinions appreciated... thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
VIE is a pretty easy airport to get around in, but I don't think 25 minutes is realistic for a flight from the U.S., needing to go through passport control at VIE.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: HHD
We had 20 minutes from a Schengen flight to an international flight in Munich and only made it because the airline organized a car to take us via passport control to our connecting flight. Great service for economy passengers. 25 minutes non assisted seems unrealistic.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdc22474
My daughter is planning to study abroad this summer near Venice and I am trying to find flights (using UA points). I found a connection through Vienna (ORD - VIE - VCE) but the connection time is listed as 25 minutes! I'm really not crazy about her missing a connection to start her semester so I'm wondering if this is even feasible.

I've never been to VIE but in most airports even if the flight was on time 25 minutes would be pushing it. Any insights, thoughts, experiences, opinions appreciated... thanks.
Lots of daily flights VIE-VCE. Check Matrix or Google Flights.
Pick a longer cxn. Coming into that airport from the US, I'd give myself 2.5 to 3 hours. (But I'd rather wait a bit than run through airports.) That should accommodate any but catastrophic summer delays.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:08 pm

The MCT at VIE is 25 minutes hence the airline offering this (particularly tight) connection. That said, notwithstanding the fact that OS will provide alternative travel solution (there's a later service to VCE departing at 17:20, operated by OS itself), you may perhaps want to consider alternatives, especially if the above arrangement could potentially cause your daughter a bit of stress. I go through VIE on a regular basis (mostly WAW/Other Schengen to BEG/PRN/SJJ i.e. non-Schengen and vice-versa) and can overall only report very positive experiences: the other day, with a 40-minutes connection coming from SJJ, I had time to pop-in to the lounge for a quick beer before heading to my next F gate, however there were also times when, with a 35-minutes scheduled connection and my incoming flight running slightly late (roughly 15 minutes), I got told by a FA that I would get automatically re-booked on to the next available service.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Jan 17, 2017 at 1:14 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: Miles & More SEN; Asiana Silver;IHG rewards;Club Calson;Wyndham rewads
In general, for EU flight only, 25 min at VIE is possible, I did it several times. But coming from intercontinental flight will be rather difficult. She has to pass not only passport control, but again security control.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
Coming into that airport from the US, I'd give myself 2.5 to 3 hours. (But I'd rather wait a bit than run through airports.) That should accommodate any but catastrophic summer delays.
That's overkill if you are on one ticket. I would say 1 to 2 hours.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: AC S100K, Emirates Gold, Marriott Platinum, Accor All Platinum, Nexus, Global Entry
That is pretty normal for Vienna and even if you hav to go through passport control and security, it is doable (having done it a few times), although it is a cardio workout! If the airline is booking it as a legal connection, if she missed her flight they would have to put her on the next available.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:11 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Don't put your daughter through a 25 minute connection.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
That's overkill if you are on one ticket. I would say 1 to 2 hours.
I build cxns anticipating delays. As I said, I'd rather spend an extra hour or two in a lounge, than spend 20 minutes cussing to myself because people aren't getting off the plane "fast enough" and making my cxn a mad rush. OP, remember boarding usually closes 10 to 20 minutes prior to takeoff and if you aren't there, they'll give your seat away and close the door. Do not count on them holding the plane for delayed pax. That is 1970's think. If she's on one ticket, sure they'll protect her and put her on their next flight with availability. But then she'll get to spend a couple of hours in the lounge anyway.
So, yes if the TATL leaves on time, encounters nothing to slow down flight time, and lands in VIE to an open gate, 90 minutes is adequate. But a 30 minute delay taking off could end up making for a looong day.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

I was perplexed that UA brought this up as a legit connection. The timing would be perfect if it worked. They also offered me the same ORD - VIE with an 8 hour layover (which would suck after that flight in coach) before continuing to VEN. Unfortunately that gets her in really late and she has to be at her orientation the next day.

Based on the feedback it sounds like it's about 50/50 to make the connection. Not very good odds.

This is her first time flying alone so I'm leaning towards having her fly in the day before through FRA with a nice 2:20 connection on Lufthansa. Worse case she can stay a night in VIE before the dorms open the next day.

PS - As I'm thinking about this I'm remembering my experiences flying from HNL - ORD by myself as an 18 year old on stand-by the whole way. I ended up going HNL/LAX/IAH/ORD over nearly 24 hours. It was a great way to "grow up" and gain confidence as a traveler. Times have changed I suspect.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Based on the feedback it sounds like it's about 50/50 to make the connection. Not very good odds.
I wouldn't take the posts here as evidence that it's 50/50 . I think the odds are not that good, especially now that you've added it's her first time traveling alone. And remember, if her incoming flight is even 10 minutes late, she has no chance.

I'm sure she's intelligent and will figure things out, but for most of us, traveling alone the first time takes a little longer to figure things out. You get used to following Mom and Dad without really noticing where they're taking you.

Day before sounds like a good plan. Worst case, one night in a hotel is worth the cost of making sure nothing goes wrong for your daughter on the trip.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I think your idea of flying in a day earlier is a good one. It gives some cushion in case something goes wrong, like a mechanical delay. Is there a way for her to connect with other students who might be arriving so she could go to the same hotel and meet some folks early?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is it a legal transfer? if so, do not worry. there is another plane right behind it. if not, do not do it.

find both gates, so she knows where to go.

we did a 30 min on iAd-vie vca, and the only problem was finding the gate. find the gate before running.

we had carry on luggage, and they tarmac loaded the luggage.

we boarded off the tarmac. we were inbiz class, and had to wait until the back of the plane loaded.

we were both in our 70's, and had plenty of time. i was very worried, but this was not FRA.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:49 am
Suspended

A helpful piece of advice: generally, do not count on the airline's day schedule for her to start her semester. If you're cutting it so close she'll miss the start of the semester due to a missed connection, she's arriving about 5 days too late.

Also: I take it she's 16 or older? Hopefully, she's capable of finding her way around an airport and asking for help at an information kiosk should something come up. This will be good preparation for Europe in any case - teenagers here are not wrapped in bubblewrap like in the States. There's a lot of adult things coming her way in Venice, let's put it like that.

Finally, if the 25 min connection is legal, take it. Should she miss it, they'll rebook her. If she doesn't, then great!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.