Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riced
Let's put this in a wiki post!
Please include: route; original class - new class; original price paid; final price; where the upgrade was obtained [via bid or at check-in]; month of flight.First Letter of your last name.
  • AUH-SYD and MEL-AUH, J-F both at $1250 AUD.
  • NRT-AUH Y-J $950USD or ¥110,000JPY offered at check in.
  • AUH-DEL AU$150
  • IST-AUH AU$400.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,400 at check-in.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,180.
  • AUH-JFK Y-J US$1,150 (March 2015).
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,100 (April 2015)
  • AUH-GRU J-F AED2575 (€650; US$700) minimum upgrade bid accepted (April 2015)
  • SYD-AUH J-F A380 US$1,050 $50 above min bid. (October 2015)
Print Wikipost

Offered a paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:00 pm

Thank you very much, David!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: EY Silver, BA Silver, EK paper, BOAC Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by RowH
Plusgrade for MAN-AUH-MAN Y to J
Minimum offer for MAN-AUH is £560 + £72 taxes
48 hours out I rang Etihad. Push upgrade Y-->J £779.20, which I declined.

Offered Plusgrade minimum bid + £15 on line. Accepted. But my cc company declined the "unusual" transaction overnight (it's an Etihad branded M/C, and has been used before for the same purchase). Cleared the purchase with the cc company and tried again in the morning but absolutely no reply from Etihad.

Nothing taken from my account, so I presume space not available or less than 28 hrs before flight means I was unsuccessful. Manage my booking also doesn't show an upgrade.

So, two data points:
MAN-AUH Plusgrade £560 + £73 tax
MAN-AUH Push Upgrade £706 + £73 tax
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by kcdude
I have a business class ticket HYD-AUH-DFW using AA miles. Obviously this ticket is not eligible for bidding. There is no F service for HYD-AUH. I would like to get AUH-DFW F. As of now, only 2 seats show as sold and 6 open seats.
1. Will they offer paid upgrades at airport for AA award ticket?
No. EY changed the rules a while ago and airport staff aren't permitted to sell upgrades to passengers on award tickets even if F and J are wide open. I tried this IAD - AUH (I think J to F rate was $900 USD) but they didn't let me because I was on an award ticket. However, upon boarding a middle eastern family stole my J seat and I told the cabin crew that I wasn't moving anywhere else and that they had to get the family to their ticketed seats. In the end, they upgraded me to F for free, I was quite surprised.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:19 am

Programs: EY Silver, BA Silver, EK paper, BOAC Junior Jet Club
Originally Posted by RowH
48 hours out I rang Etihad. Push upgrade Y-->J £779.20, which I declined.

Offered Plusgrade minimum bid + £15 on line. Accepted. But my cc company declined the "unusual" transaction overnight (it's an Etihad branded M/C, and has been used before for the same purchase). Cleared the purchase with the cc company and tried again in the morning but absolutely no reply from Etihad.

Nothing taken from my account, so I presume space not available or less than 28 hrs before flight means I was unsuccessful. Manage my booking also doesn't show an upgrade.

So, two data points:
MAN-AUH Plusgrade £560 + £73 tax
MAN-AUH Push Upgrade £706 + £73 tax
MAN-AUH instant upgrade at airport £690

Surprisingly more than accepted Select Upgrade bid.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 7:00 pm

MEL-AUH, Y->J

Bid EUR 1,050 (USD 1,170), minimum was EUR 990 (USD 1,100).
Accepted 18hrs before departure.

It's not cheap, but it's a 14h flight and I'm very excited to check out the EY A380 Business Studio.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 5:09 am

got offer for 195eur for MNL-AUH today rather than the usual 340eur
Y-J
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Any data points for shorter, regional flights? In particular I'm thinking AUH-AMM. Also is there a master list of what fare classes are not eligible for Plusgrade?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: TK*S, KF Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MUCflyerEY
Does anyone have experience on the AUH-HKG sector? Got offered a minimum upgrade bid Y to J of EUR 445 which seems to be a good bargain (according to the website, route should be operated by EY, not Air Seychelles, on my flight date)? Also, is there anyone who could look into the Y load factor on that route for 23rd August? Thanks a lot for your advice!
I am flying this route in a week and the minimum bid of US$750 which i think is quite steep
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
I am venturing back to EY after a long absence (purely because the timing/schedule works for me on this occasion). I am familiar with the "select upgrade" system and assume it is still in use? I understand the "Economy Deals" fares (T fare class) are ineligible for upgrading with miles but wondered if anyone has experience of these cheapest fares being compatible with a "select upgrade" offer? Thanks in advance.

Edited to add:

I have found the answer to my own question and my fare is NOT eligible for the "select upgrade" offer.

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/before-y...rade-yourself/

Last edited by Work-Shy; Jan 13, 2017 at 8:39 am Reason: Additional information
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
AUH-JFK J-F

Minimum offer $1,000
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I am flying JFK>AUH>MEL this coming weekend.

I am flying J, but bid maximum for upgrades in F.

In looking at ExpertFlyer, each leg has one (1) seat in F, and two (2) seats blocked off.

On a 3 class plane, where are the crew rests?
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by MushiShi
Usually Airport Upgrades are the cheapest, followed by bids and then miles upgrades (depending on the type of ticket and the value of the miles); GBP 1400 for a one way upgrade seems steep to me, as do the minimum upgrade bids. If you are sure about wanting to upgrade, then I'd take the push upgrade over the phone. It's the same as the minimum bids and you are guaranteed a seat in J. Try to get them to give you miles and tier points for J not Y
Do you mean you can actually bargain upgrade price from J to F over the phone after getting bid to upgrade email?

I just got bid to upgrade from J to F offer on both legs:
AUH-LHR $880-$1500
LHR-AUH $1000-$1500

I am not really sure why did I get LHR-AUH upgrade offer if based on Etihad website First is sold out on the return trip...
Old Feb 7, 2017, 2:38 am

Programs: Virgin Velocity
PER to AUH - Y to J - $1300AUD
AUH to PER - Y to J - $1425AUD
January 16th with RT on Jan 23rd

Online Bid with original ticket prices selected Economy Saver. I Flew PER to NCE - NCE to PER. Total Economy ticket = ~$1700AUD all in Y + the two J upgraded bids (happy for the upgrades in the 11-12hour flights)
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by stiwi
Do you mean you can actually bargain upgrade price from J to F over the phone after getting bid to upgrade email?

I just got bid to upgrade from J to F offer on both legs:
AUH-LHR $880-$1500
LHR-AUH $1000-$1500

I am not really sure why did I get LHR-AUH upgrade offer if based on Etihad website First is sold out on the return trip...
I offered Etihad a paid upgrade from J to F Apartments on AUH-LHR for AED 3393 ($924), they approved it within 15 hours of placing the bid and 30 hours prior to departure.

Details: I booked AUH-LHR-AUH return Business Classic tickets for AED 15110 discounted by 10% (thanks to discount code I found on FT) from AED 16630. When placing the bid for upgrade, I checked First availability on AUH-LHR via Expedia and there were only two seats left (confirmed also by Etihad booking system availability).

I didn't bid for upgrade on return LHR-AUH leg as according to both Expedia & Etihad, First is fully sold out. Not sure what's the point of their offer in this case, unless they expect some last minute cancellations?

For the reference AUH-LHR A380 in First cost approx. AED 22000 (approx. AED 45000 for return trip), so the bid to upgrade is not a bad deal at all.

I am looking forward to trying out First Class lounge in AUH & First Apartments on board. If the chauffeur drive has been booked under J class, will Etihad upgrade the car in this case automatically or the chauffeur car will remain as booked originally?

Edit: I didn't get upgrade email confirmation yet, although my credit card was charged 3 hours ago. I only found out because I got instant SMS notifications on every credit card payment.

Edit 2: Good post here on A380 F best seats. Luckily of the two left, one was 3A which I chose. Don't mind rear facing, travelled BA CW few times already in middle couple seats arrangements ;-)

Last edited by stiwi; Feb 8, 2017 at 12:12 am
Old Feb 9, 2017, 2:55 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF Silver
Any advantage in waiting for the email invite vs 'Etihad Select' now?

Hey there FTers,

I'm a VA WP travelling in MEL-AUH-LHR on 4 March with EY, booked in economy, and keen to bid for an upgrade...

Can anyone please advise whether is there any particular advantage or disadvantage in bidding now via the 'Etihad Select" engine on the website, or should I wait for the invitation email?

And if its successful how far out do they debit the credit card?

Also, has there been a change which means EY better recognise VA FF? HAs anyone had any experience as VA WP getting an op up, and any advice what to look for?

Cheers & TIA

Helloorama

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.