Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need basics on waitlist to F

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Need basics on waitlist to F

All - searched for a few minutes, didn't see a sticky specific to upgrade waitlist basics. Here's my issue:

1) SIN-DXB-JFK, revenue J
2) Colleague with Gold upgraded me to F SIN-DXB. DXB-JFK not currently available, I'm flying on a Saturday on the flight that leaves DXB around 0230.
3) Colleague tells me I'm waitlisted on DXB-JFK segment for an upgrade to F. I trust him, though res on website/app doesn't indicate this.
4) I've set up ExpertFlyer alerts. No awards released just yet. I've monitored every Saturday for the past several months and have NEVER seen awards released.
5) I'm contemplating booking away, but that's not really important.

What I was hoping to understand includes:

1) Is EK good at managing waitlists? AA, CX & SQ are not, in my experience. Quite often awards are released but waitlists aren't cleared simultaneously, so I've needed to call in to get the upgrade.
2) When does the WL drop off? Inside of 24 hours? Once checked in but not upgraded?
3) Can upgrades be accomplished during/after the first segment is flown?
4) In the event nothing happens, how do cash upgrades work at DXB and is one eligible after the first segment is flown?

Basically, if this was any of the U.S. airlines, or CX, or SQ, I wouldn't be wasting your time. But my searches didn't yield many specifics about EK. Put yourself in my shoes and advise!!

Thanks in advance - Jamie
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
All - searched for a few minutes, didn't see a sticky specific to upgrade waitlist basics. Here's my issue:

1) SIN-DXB-JFK, revenue J
2) Colleague with Gold upgraded me to F SIN-DXB. DXB-JFK not currently available, I'm flying on a Saturday on the flight that leaves DXB around 0230.
3) Colleague tells me I'm waitlisted on DXB-JFK segment for an upgrade to F. I trust him, though res on website/app doesn't indicate this.
4) I've set up ExpertFlyer alerts. No awards released just yet. I've monitored every Saturday for the past several months and have NEVER seen awards released.
5) I'm contemplating booking away, but that's not really important.

What I was hoping to understand includes:

1) Is EK good at managing waitlists? AA, CX & SQ are not, in my experience. Quite often awards are released but waitlists aren't cleared simultaneously, so I've needed to call in to get the upgrade.

They have this auto upgrade thing now and recently a few people are not getting their seat until the gate - they are making it hard to upgrade and I've failed to wait list for a few flights recently.

2) When does the WL drop off? Inside of 24 hours? Once checked in but not upgraded?

As above auto upgrade stays until the gate but the true waitlisted where on the booking it states "waitlisted" drops off when you check in

3) Can upgrades be accomplished during/after the first segment is flown?

Yes

4) In the event nothing happens, how do cash upgrades work at DXB and is one eligible after the first segment is flown?

You pay the SIN JFK fare difference to F

Basically, if this was any of the U.S. airlines, or CX, or SQ, I wouldn't be wasting your time. But my searches didn't yield many specifics about EK. Put yourself in my shoes and advise!!

I'd be looking at loads - if it's quiet you'll get it if there's one or two seats left and you want F fly an alternate airline. There's tons of plats and golds who will all be above you should they wish to use miles to move to F

Thanks in advance - Jamie
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Should one's res details show any sort of upgrade status, either on the EK site or the app?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, Qatar Platinum
Should one's res details show any sort of upgrade status, either on the EK site or the app?
Waitlists as you describe don't really exist the same way outside of the US. EK have wait-lists that you may get on by phoning through, but these aren't normal process, and for many reasons people can jump over the hidden wait-lists. It is all designed to protect revenue possibility, so a wait list can mean nothing.

You'll not see a waitlist screen at the gate in Europe or the middle East as you do in the US. As such, there's nothing in Manage My Booking or the App to capture this, as it's just not custom and practice outside the US.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stephenk82
Waitlists as you describe don't really exist the same way outside of the US. EK have wait-lists that you may get on by phoning through, but these aren't normal process, and for many reasons people can jump over the hidden wait-lists. It is all designed to protect revenue possibility, so a wait list can mean nothing.

You'll not see a waitlist screen at the gate in Europe or the middle East as you do in the US. As such, there's nothing in Manage My Booking or the App to capture this, as it's just not custom and practice outside the US.
That's helpful. But when my colleague tells me I'm waitlisted for a mileage upgrade, is that not the case? Is my only hope monitoring ExpertFlyer? I'm torn whether to take this flight, and not being able to enjoy myself in F on the first leg knowing of the pending downgrade once I get to DXB. Flying J on QR all the way through would at least eliminate this heartache.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 3:40 am

I'm torn whether to take this flight, and not being able to enjoy myself in F on the first leg knowing of the pending downgrade once I get to DXB. Flying J on QR all the way through would at least eliminate this heartache.
J all the way is fine - not too much different from F. What I've quoted here just makes you sound stupid.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
J all the way is fine - not too much different from F. What I've quoted here just makes you sound stupid.
F private, J not private.
F shower, J no shower.
F caviar, J no caviar.
F top-shelf liquor, J mid-shelf.
F dine on demand, J dine when FAs tell you to.
F pajamas, J no pajamas.

Granted, F and J humidity is the same, and neither class offers a urinal. LH A380s would address those topics.

So, want to share how J is "not too much different than F?" Such a statement just makes you sound stupid. Or, unaware of the facts.

Jamie
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:01 am

Such a statement just makes you sound stupid. Or, unaware of the facts.
Personal experience of both with EK, including the shower, private suite, food and drink you mention.

There wouldn't be any sense in letting an upcoming flight spoil my enjoyment of the one I was currently on.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:03 am

F private, J not private.
F shower, J no shower.
F caviar, J no caviar.
F top-shelf liquor, J mid-shelf.
F dine on demand, J dine when FAs tell you to.
F pajamas, J no pajamas.

Granted, F and J humidity is the same, and neither class offers a urinal. LH A380s would address those topics.

So, want to share how J is "not too much different than F?" Such a statement just makes you sound stupid. Or, unaware of the facts.

Jamie
Each to their own. Ft101 was a bit harsh but so were you. He has a point if you look past the rough edges of it
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:38 am
Original Poster

There wouldn't be any sense in letting an upcoming flight spoil my enjoyment of the one I was currently on.
You're a stronger man/woman than I. I can't sit in the CX mini-cabin because I can usually hear the "Caviar Six" yucking it up in front.

FYI - Colleague called EK, I'm not waitlisted, and agent didn't know how to do it. So basically I have to hope that an award is released (EF alert set). But I'm not hopeful.

Jamie
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:08 am

You're a stronger man/woman than I. I can't sit in the CX mini-cabin because I can usually hear the "Caviar Six" yucking it up in front.

FYI - Colleague called EK, I'm not waitlisted, and agent didn't know how to do it. So basically I have to hope that an award is released (EF alert set). But I'm not hopeful.

Jamie
Keep checking - I've had seats open up 2 weeks before
Old Apr 10, 2017, 12:02 am

Auto Upgrade?

Maybe not available if you are using someone else's miles.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:41 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Auto Upgrade?

Maybe not available if you are using someone else's miles.
Definitely not available with someone else's miles. You have no option to identify 'which miles' are to be used. To illustrate: I wanted to auto upgrade two pax on the same PNR. This could not be done, as there were not enough miles in MY account to upgrade both of us. I could not specify that each of us had to be upgraded with miles out of our own accounts. I contacted the call centre and the agent confirmed this!

I wonder how auto upgrade works when there are multiple auto upgrade requests for one available upgrade? First come first serve? Status? Or original booking class (like the op-ups)?

Last edited by thijsseh; Apr 12, 2017 at 7:50 am
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:46 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by m3red
Keep checking - I've had seats open up 2 weeks before
I recently did a bit of a 'study' on this for EK147 (DXB/AMS), J>F.
Awards opened up between 45 and 4 days before the flight.

Sadly not for 11/4, so we had to sit in J after a really nice first sector (CPT/DXB) in F (which had opened up almost 60 days out). Even got an airbridge gate in concourse A for arrival!
And there were even 2 empty F seats on that CPT/DXB leg, so opening it up was a good move by EK.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by thijsseh
I recently did a bit of a 'study' on this for EK147 (DXB/AMS), J>F.
Awards opened up between 45 and 4 days before the flight.

Sadly not for 11/4, so we had to sit in J after a really nice first sector (CPT/DXB) in F (which had opened up almost 60 days out). Even got an airbridge gate in concourse A for arrival!
And there were even 2 empty F seats on that CPT/DXB leg, so opening it up was a good move by EK.
Load management is one of eks strengths, however they are being tighter with upgrades to F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.