Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Some of my recent ish flights showing the usual screen quality..,

Old Nov 24, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
9wings,

As m3red has alluded to, I have become a bit of a regular F'er (right, that's the humour taken care of).

Now, prior to flying in F with EK, my regular jaunt was with QR on the A380. I also fly BA F once a month (either A380 or 787-9), CX F once every two months, and have flown other airlines including EY in F too.

However, I think your post deserves a few comments from me (Disclaimer: I'm in a really bad mood due to TG, so apologies if it comes across in this post).

1) Lets start with the easy to address issues; namely those which others either agree with, or have already commented.

The fact that the doors to your Suite did not close, is frustrating. Is it a regular occurrence? I would say not in my experience, but I have encountered it once. In that instance, I simply forced them closed manually - no harm no foul. Had it happened on my first EK F experience, I would think it pretty shoddy, but a regular flyer (like yourself with BAEC Silver and TK Gold [I assume status match offer from last year ]) is used to small issues.

The food on EK is pretty average, but the food in the F Lounge at DXB is pretty good, so it very much depends where you start your trip. I second the advice given by m3red in terms of having the fish - EK are the exception to the rule of not eating it on a plane!

2) The IFE screens on the older A380s, are bad. Full stop. End of story. They should be upgraded, and it's a shame EK put these older aircraft on certain flagship routes (LHR), but I appreciate that rotating aircraft is far harder than I imagine.

You are wholly correct in your assertions, and like DYKWIA has said, I too have had to change movie due to the difficulty in viewing a dark film (which actually shouldn't have been that dark).

However, on the newer A380's (the vast majority of them), the IFE screen is huge and HD quality. As such, I simply find it unfortunate when I get an older bird, but I wouldn't say it stops me from watching the screen.

What I will add, is that the selection is excellent. It is changed monthly, and there's usually plenty to watch - or re-watch as is sometimes the case.

3) You mention that storage was an issue. I sort of agree, but experience has shown me that the A380, upstairs in F, isnt the highest ceiling.

It's a real first world problem to have your bags by your feet, but my wheely sits upright in the corner, and I have to lay my smaller bag flat on the ground - otherwise it gets squashed by the seat when in 'Bed' mode. My bags are similar size to yours, and laying my bag flat isn't great.

I think EK ought to find a solution to this, but it is far easier said than done - QR struggle and have to put all wheely bags in a storage closet at the front of the F cabin. This is a pain, and they haven't found a solution.

4) QR provide an ottoman in F, as do CX and BA. I won't bring EY into this equation, because The Apartment concept doesn't have an ottoman per-se.

I like an ottoman - however, even here I am picky. I like the one on QR but not on the others. Why? Because I like to wriggle. I have taught myself to sleep like a mummy on a plane, but when the seat is wide enough, and I can move about, I take advantage.

QR allow this, because the seat is extra-wide, and the ottoman is lengthy enough for a baby (in a travel cot) to sleep on. However, at 6ft tall, I still cannot reach it when sat upright, and have to move the seat to allow my feet to nestle.

The EK seat can be contorted into hundreds of different positions, but this can be fiddly to do - and you often end up more uncomfortable than you were to start with!

EK don't let me wriggle, due to the fact that the seat isnt long enough for my feet to remain stable. If they put a little lip at the very front of the suite, that would help. However, that is a very personal option, and everyone has their own preferred sleeping patterns.

5) Is it better than EK J? I think this is one area I cannot agree with you.

EK J on the A380 is a very good product - although in my view QR J is better on the same aircraft.

The movie selection is near identical, the food comparable, the service comparable (due to the sheer number of crew who work in the J cabin).

The seat is not as wide, and when you like to move around in your sleep, bashing into the foot-coffin, or the hard plastic on the side of the seats, is quite painful!

The storage on the sides in J is excellent I grant you, but with my bags at my feet in F, I simply reach forward to get what I want opposed to looking in the side-bin for my laptop or phone (which has been bashed about due to the lack of padding in the cubbies).

In terms of the overhead bins, they are being removed in J on the newest A380s, so perhaps you will prefer the F option.

Ultimately, it is a real case of YMMV. Everyone has their preferred options, and EK F is a bit of a novelty - the shower is great fun (but not exactly vital), the make-up mirror and over-engineered drinks cupboard is hilariously ridiculous, and the writing kit makes for jokes when you ask the crew where the post-box is.

I have found F to be cheaper than J on my current route, hence my regularity, and I do like the product.

However, if I was to fly it for the first time (and encounter the issues you did) I would probably feel similar. This is where FT excels itself, because we are able to say that some of the issues are one-offs. For instances where its pot luck (IFE), it's just part of the life of a frequent flyer.

You take the good and the bad, but hopefully you'll be willing to fly EK F once again, and, fingers crossed, you have a newer plane with the newest IFE (THE SCREEN IS RIDICULOUSLY HUGE), and be welcomed into a fully closed suite.

Safe travels,

M

P.S. Why am I in a bad mood? Because TG decided to play Christmas music...on a very loud setting...15mins before we were due to land into BKK...and it was muzak! Who on earth thought that would be a good idea!

Great post!

Agree with all points.

No perfect airline, however, EK F ticks most of the boxes for me.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Skywards Gold
I grant you all that I based my views on one F flight and what is now clear has been an ancient A380. So some of my issues were due to the age of the aircraft. But even on a two year old one the screen in J was crap compared to the widescreens you get in Y on a TK A320 on the LHR to IST route! Futhermore the movie choice is pretty limited in it being a Middle Eastern carrier...

Still, having no overhead storage is utterly bizarre and I'll never accept that as a way forward. And doing it in J on their new A380s as well is just stupid. I dicussed this with a flight attendant on my last flight with EK in J and she was as aghast as I at the removal of the bins in J. She said "Have they never flown an A380 to Saudi? Each passenger has TONS of bags to store". Well I said, "the old planes will be used on the Saudi routes then..."
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EKcellent
Maybe you'll get the same aircraft when flying J some time, and we'll see whether much of the problems were just due to that, rather than the distinction between F & J. You should be able to find out which it was with something like flightradar24, if you want to get its details.
I don't have a Flightradar24 sub. If you (or someone) has one, please check EK8 at 9:05 AM from LHR to DXB on Friday the 7th of October. Then we'll all know how creaky old my plane was! Ta.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by 9wings
Futhermore the movie choice is pretty limited in it being a Middle Eastern carrier...
Now we know you're full of cr*p
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Now we know you're full of cr*p
Nope... some movies you just wont' find on a Middle Eastern carrier I'm afraid. And others will be so heavily edited it's really pointless watching them.

As an aside one of the best things I've seen on an edited aircraft movie was on a TK flight were there was an aircraft taking off in the movie. Just like all the cigrattes in Turkey get blurred out (even on national TV) they blurred out all the rival aircraft carrier's logos on the aircraft.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:37 am

I'm afraid I simply cannot agree with you re: the IFE choice on EK. There is no way I can objectively or reasonably subjectively accept that the IFE choice is "pretty limited".

To positively compare screens on TK on the LHR-IST route in Y against EK's J screens on new aircraft (only the ancient screens on 777/A340 on EK might be inferior), does not chime with reality, in my experience. I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone else who prefers TK Y IFE to EK J, on any aircraft. After all, TK's flagship product, the 777-300ER that sometimes flies LHR-IST uses exactly the same old ICE digital Panasonic ex2 screens in Y as EK does on many of its old planes. It has since been superceded by 2 newer versions of ICE with the tablet controllers.

As for censorship, that is simply a fact of life in many places in the world. If you are extremely serious about cinema, I do not think you will be regularly watching critically onboard a plane. But I mean, EK even had Deadpool that wasn't heavily edited. Deadpool. The movie choices go back 4-6 months. There are literally dozens of new movies and hundreds of movies in the collection, not to mention TV shows etc.

FYI there is overhead storage in J on the new A380s - it is not being removed from the middle seats, only the window seats (which have narrower bins in any case).
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
I'm afraid I simply cannot agree with you re: the IFE choice on EK. There is no way I can objectively or reasonably subjectively accept that the IFE choice is "pretty limited".

To positively compare screens on TK on the LHR-IST route in Y against EK's J screens on new aircraft (only the ancient screens on 777/A340 on EK might be inferior), does not chime with reality, in my experience. I think you will be hard pressed to find anyone else who prefers TK Y IFE to EK J, on any aircraft.

As for censorship, that is simply a fact of life in many places in the world. If you are extremely serious about cinema, I do not think you will be regularly watching critically onboard a plane. But I mean, EK even had Deadpool that wasn't heavily edited. Deadpool. The movie choices go back 4-6 months. There are literally dozens of new movies and hundreds of movies in the collection, not to mention TV shows etc.

FYI there is overhead storage in J on the new A380s - it is not being removed from the middle seats, only the window seats (which have narrower bins in any case).
You're realy misreading what I said.

Not once did I say the entire IFE system on TK Y is better than EK. I said the resolution is better on the new TK Y aircraft compared to the old EK F (I was on) and yes I'll even say the new J class IFE on EK - of which I've sampled plenty. And in case you didn't read the whole post, the F I was in was an ancient EK plane with diabolical resolution in F. So to claim ALL EK IFE screens are amazing is utter tosh. Have you flown on a new TK A320 or 737? If not do NOT tell me how good the resolution is I'm sorry. You have no idea what you're talking about if you haven't been on a new TK narrowbody.

Not once did I say the bins in the middle will get removed on new EK A380s - if you read my other posts in other threads you'll see this. Sorry to have confused you if you didn't see those posts. I really didn't think I had to clearly stipulate something like that every single time I mention something that is quite common knowledge by now.

Not once did I say they don't have hundreds of movies and no TV shows. I merely said they have hundreds and thousands of carefully curated movies. And? Nothing wrong with that either.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:05 am

You're realy misreading what I said.

Not once did I say the entire IFE system on TK Y is better than EK. I said the resolution is better on the new TK Y aircraft compared to the old EK F (I was on) and yes I'll even say the new J class IFE on EK - of which I've sampled plenty. And in case you didn't read the whole post, the F I was in was an ancient EK plane with diabolical resolution in F. So to claim ALL EK IFE screens are amazing is utter tosh. Have you flown on a new TK A320 or 737? If not do NOT tell me how good the resolution is I'm sorry. You have no idea what you're talking about if you haven't been on a new TK narrowbody.

Not once did I say the bins in the middle will get removed on new EK A380s - if you read my other posts in other threads you'll see this. Sorry to have confused you if you didn't see those posts. I really didn't think I had to clearly stipulate something like that every single time I mention something that is quite common knowledge by now.

Not once did I say they don't have hundreds of movies and no TV shows. I merely said they have hundreds and thousands of carefully curated movies. And? Nothing wrong with that either.
You said in post 18:

But even on a two year old one the screen in J was crap compared to the widescreens you get in Y on a TK A320 on the LHR to IST route!
It is accepted the ancient F resolution is poor compared to what's available today on other carriers.

The latest TK aircraft use Panasonic ex2 screens which are 2 generations behind EK who use the same supplier.

You clearly stated you were making a comparison between a 2 year old J screen in EK, against Y on a TK A320. A 2 year old J screen on EK is extremely likely to be at least the same generation as the current IFE on a TK A320.

You say you have "sampled plenty" of EK J. That would imply you have also experienced the next two generations of Panasonic screens on from TK's current in flight product, which have the black rim tablet and then in the very latest incarnation, powered USB sockets and higher resolution screens.

I cannot see how it is reasonable to state that something from three generations ago in Y is superior to the latest offering from the same supplier in J, on an airline that justifiably has a good reputation for IFE.

So to claim ALL EK IFE screens are amazing is utter tosh.
I don't think anyone on this thread has ever claimed that. In fact, many regular flyers have confirmed that there are ancient planes out there with previous ICE (not digital) which is abysmal.

If you could point out where it is claimed "ALL EK IFE screens are amazing" I am happy to apologise for missing it.

Not once did I say the bins in the middle will get removed on new EK A380s - if you read my other posts in other threads you'll see this
I believe I was actually the first person in this thread to reply to you saying the same thing, for the sake of clarity, which is, that the overhead bins on the window seats will be removed, not the overhead bins on the middle seats.

But then you said:

Still, having no overhead storage is utterly bizarre and I'll never accept that as a way forward. And doing it in J on their new A380s as well is just stupid. I dicussed this with a flight attendant on my last flight with EK in J and she was as aghast as I at the removal of the bins in J.
I assume you were being colloquial with the usage though.

I'm sorry, but you said: "Futhermore the movie choice is pretty limited in it being a Middle Eastern carrier..."

Pretty limited is where I disagree with you. I don't believe you ever said they had hundreds and thousands of movies, because clearly "hundreds and thousands" is superior to every other carrier out there, censorship or not.

I believe the movie choice does have what would be globally accepted as major box office releases though, as well as various national cinema which is hardly found on any other carrier.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Again, some of the older IFE is censored. However, I now find that lots gets through. Even sex scenes with topless women on some movies.

I watched Money Monster and the amount of F-ing and Blinding was incredible.

You seem to be basing your opinion on a couple of flights, and saying that people with hundreds of flights must be wrong.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Again, some of the older IFE is censored. However, I now find that lots gets through. Even sex scenes with topless women on some movies.

I watched Money Monster and the amount of F-ing and Blinding was incredible.

You seem to be basing your opinion on a couple of flights, and saying that people with hundreds of flights must be wrong.
Back to topic and having flown F and J recently I'd like to hear DYKWIA's view on J vs F.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by m3red
Back to topic and having flown F and J recently I'd like to hear DYKWIA's view on J vs F.
No comparison... F is a long way in front on the A380, and light years in front on the B777. My recent 3 F sectors have been Fantastic/Great/Good respectively. The Good on the last flight was mainly down to one of the FA's who was a bit lacking. However, the missus overheard her saying to one of the other FA's that "She was feeling a bit better today, better than yesterday", so I'm guessing she was a bit poorly, so forgivable for being a bit off the pace.

Food is pretty poor in both though. In fact, I'm just awaiting my A380 flight back to MAN, and I've eaten in the lounge. I'll snack in the bar rather than have the full meal. Then a Spice of India take out when back home

Can't wait for my EZ flight to AMS tomorrow
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
You said in post 18:

It is accepted the ancient F resolution is poor compared to what's available today on other carriers.

The latest TK aircraft use Panasonic ex2 screens which are 2 generations behind EK who use the same supplier.

You clearly stated you were making a comparison between a 2 year old J screen in EK, against Y on a TK A320. A 2 year old J screen on EK is extremely likely to be at least the same generation as the current IFE on a TK A320.

You say you have "sampled plenty" of EK J. That would imply you have also experienced the next two generations of Panasonic screens on from TK's current in flight product, which have the black rim tablet and then in the very latest incarnation, powered USB sockets and higher resolution screens.

I cannot see how it is reasonable to state that something from three generations ago in Y is superior to the latest offering from the same supplier in J, on an airline that justifiably has a good reputation for IFE.

I don't think anyone on this thread has ever claimed that. In fact, many regular flyers have confirmed that there are ancient planes out there with previous ICE (not digital) which is abysmal.

If you could point out where it is claimed "ALL EK IFE screens are amazing" I am happy to apologise for missing it.

I believe I was actually the first person in this thread to reply to you saying the same thing, for the sake of clarity, which is, that the overhead bins on the window seats will be removed, not the overhead bins on the middle seats.

But then you said:

I assume you were being colloquial with the usage though.

I'm sorry, but you said: "Futhermore the movie choice is pretty limited in it being a Middle Eastern carrier..."

Pretty limited is where I disagree with you. I don't believe you ever said they had hundreds and thousands of movies, because clearly "hundreds and thousands" is superior to every other carrier out there, censorship or not.

I believe the movie choice does have what would be globally accepted as major box office releases though, as well as various national cinema which is hardly found on any other carrier.
The last Y class I flew on TK between IST and LHR was three months old. Perhaps because you sit a lot closer to said little screen it APPEARS of better resolution. Without seeing these side by side I can't say. I'll maintain that to my eyes all the screens I've had on EK in Y, J and F were of iffy resolution. Perhaps just how my eyes focus. Or don't.

I read your first reply as impying all EK screens are superior to anything else. Apologies if I misread that statement... but I've learnt quickly on this forum that within each airline forum you can say anything and the stalwarts that only believe in said airlines will not agree with whatever you state. Just how Apple people see Apple products with their own special pair of blinkers. Nothing wrong with that per se. You just need to read things with filters on I guess.

As to my statement on limited movie choice. I stand corrected. If you can now also see women's bare breasts on an EK flight then well, what can I say. In my experience I've struggled to find things to watch. And no I have varied taste in my movies and I'm not just after some obscure form of German leather clad 1970s stuff. Having a huge back catalogue is fine, but when you can't find new things to watch, my default reaction is "limited choice". I don't care about the 2,000 movies I could have chosen if I wanted to watch old stuff.

But back OT: do I tell the story of how the YC crew member brought in from Y to the JF bar tried to make me a Martini in a whiskey glass, with a double shot of Martini and an oily olive? I stopped him when he was about to add a dash of gin... Bless. I later heard he doesn't drink and also stored the red wine in an ice bucket. The Irish FA that told me this at least made my second Martini with the correct proportions of gin and with a cocktail olive suitable to submerge in said gin drink.

Oops that was not OT. OK worst thing about the visit to the bar was there was an F passenger in there on a DAY FLIGHT wearing his PJs and slippers and talking very loudly. How crass.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think my alliance status on the left proves that wrong.

And no I'm not saying people with more experience are wrong either. I'm just saying we can agree to disagree on certain things I find lacking with EK.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold

Oops that was not OT. OK worst thing about the visit to the bar was there was an F passenger in there on a DAY FLIGHT wearing his PJs and slippers and talking very loudly. How crass.
I'll steer clear of the lively debate on IFE (I personally haven't had any major issues with EK's systems, although tend to make less use of them than the average pax)

BUT I'm 100% with you re the dreaded PJ's at the bar. .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.