Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK First vs EK J-class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Quick query to the OP.

Do you have a photo of the IFE?. Though I don't travel on EK F that often nowadays , I used to travel quite a bit on the on the F on the A380 of the vintage mentioned

Did you try adjusting the contrast/brightness ?. The issue that I used to remember was that the display was not able to tolerate bright lights that well ( ie open window / lighted cabin etc) and I had to tweak to display a good picture.

The new screens even in Y on the 380 are much more tolerant of bright light .
Old Nov 30, 2016, 7:41 am

I can see where the OP is coming from.

We normally travel J (GLA-MEL) and usually 777-300 ER (it's the only option GLA-DXB and was our preferred option DXB-MEL to get a pit stop in KUL; this is now a direct flight non-stop). We've been on the A380 MEL-DXB via SIN 3 or 4 times and prefer the 777-300 ER (there will probably be a lot of comments that there's no comparison and A380 wins every time but that's our preference).

Last trip we upgraded via air miles from J to F MEL-DXB on the 777-300 ER via SIN. We concluded that the particular F product we had was marginally better than J but that we would never pay the difference and we probably should have not 'spent' our air miles and used them for something else. We couldn't sample the F lounge in DXB because our onwards flight to GLA was in J so that was something missed out on as the lounge in Melbourne is for both classes (I think?).

We honestly could see no difference between J and F food and thought it was the same menu with fancier names and different crockery, cutlery.

I know it's only one experience and we haven't tried F on the A380 but that was our experience fwiw. What's the rule on cabin luggage because I've always thought I'd never get away with taking that much with me?
Old Nov 30, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by OzTennis
I can see where the OP is coming from.

We normally travel J (GLA-MEL) and usually 777-300 ER (it's the only option GLA-DXB and was our preferred option DXB-MEL to get a pit stop in KUL; this is now a direct flight non-stop). We've been on the A380 MEL-DXB via SIN 3 or 4 times and prefer the 777-300 ER (there will probably be a lot of comments that there's no comparison and A380 wins every time but that's our preference).

Last trip we upgraded via air miles from J to F MEL-DXB on the 777-300 ER via SIN. We concluded that the particular F product we had was marginally better than J but that we would never pay the difference and we probably should have not 'spent' our air miles and used them for something else. We couldn't sample the F lounge in DXB because our onwards flight to GLA was in J so that was something missed out on as the lounge in Melbourne is for both classes (I think?).

We honestly could see no difference between J and F food and thought it was the same menu with fancier names and different crockery, cutlery.

I know it's only one experience and we haven't tried F on the A380 but that was our experience fwiw. What's the rule on cabin luggage because I've always thought I'd never get away with taking that much with me?
In F pretty much as much as you can carry you can take.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Does this extend to size? E.g., is it possible to carry on a 25" case on board in F?

Shuly
Old Nov 30, 2016, 10:08 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by shuly
Does this extend to size? E.g., is it possible to carry on a 25" case on board in F?

Shuly
I've no idea how big 25" is in comparison to the limit. Of course there are limits, what I'm saying is that in F they aren't really enforced.
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:05 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
But remember the OP's remark about storage of hand luggage in F: Its at your feet, there are no bins. In my experience, for two items which would be considered 'normal' as hand luggage it is no problem. But with biggish pieces.....
Old Dec 1, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by thijsseh
But remember the OP's remark about storage of hand luggage in F: Its at your feet, there are no bins. In my experience, for two items which would be considered 'normal' as hand luggage it is no problem. But with biggish pieces.....
Just ran across this thread and am blown away.........I've taken literally HUNDREDS of flights in EK F & have never had these problems. There is plenty of room for carry on & you can still put your seat full flat so I don't see a BIG deal here. Yes, it can be a pain if you need to get something from your bag in flight as you must put your leg rest down and slide the seat a bit back but there are usually some empty seats in F so I just store my carry on there.....problem solved. As for the bedding, it's wrapped in plastic so while I agree it's not the most beautiful thing to see, it doesn't bother me (you can't sit facing backwards so the only time you see it is when you board

A few other points. The doors shut fine on "Most" 380's. based on OPs post he had an old plane. (No such thing as an old 380 so I should say one of the original ones). But usually the FA can fix it and if not they can write it up & EK is pretty good about fixing things during layovers in DXB

A later poster brought up the amount of carry on allowed. This is something EK has always been good with for F pax. When I started flying EK they had mostly A300s, A310s and handful of 772s. 2-2-2 in F with large luggage bins. Before 9/11 I used to bring my normally checked bags on board with me (2 large bags + carry on) and never had a problem. Alas that's not psbl any longer but still, especially leaving DXB they don't give you a hard time with extra carry on.

As far as F vs C, I admit I've never flown in C on A 380 OR 777 but have spent plenty of time looking at them or even trying them out. The 380 J seat is fine, on par with what others are offering. BUT......I wouldn't fly in J on a 777 for free. This is an embarrassing product when compared to the competition

All in all there is no comparison between F & J. If I had to fly J on business instead of F I would just switch to QR & not look back
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, BA Silver, Emirates Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Quick query to the OP.

Do you have a photo of the IFE? .
Sorry this forum doesn't post messages of all follow up messages so you tend to miss stuff - or my settings are wrong. So only just saw this.

I always travel POSH when flying east and back from London. So Port out and Starboard home, so the sun is on the opposite side of my window seat. So glare or brightness wasn't an issue.

And yes that is my mug in the make-up mirror.

True to say on these photos the resolution looks passable. I didn't take closer photos to show the hugeness of the grain and the reason for my moan about the IFE to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.