Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Upgrade w/ Miles at check-in for other person

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards

Hi

Is there someone out here who has a positiv experience with a check-in upgrade with miles for another person when you are not flying on this plane? (i.e. I'll upgrade my father with my miles, can do this only at check-in because it is a restrictive fare, but I am not flying on the same flight.)

Thanks
Old Sep 11, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Whether you are flying on the plane or not will not make any difference, the only restriction is that all the miles for the upgrade should come from a single account. Besides, they may want to see your skywards card at the airport, so be sure to take it with you. And of course, the upgrade has to be available.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by jackiedada
Whether you are flying on the plane or not will not make any difference, the only restriction is that all the miles for the upgrade should come from a single account. Besides, they may want to see your skywards card at the airport, so be sure to take it with you. And of course, the upgrade has to be available.
I think mrtdxb had a different story about this..,
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:07 am
Original Poster

to be honest, i guess i was in the same boat as mrtdxb. wasnt possible because I was not on the same flight.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kuroko
to be honest, i guess i was in the same boat as mrtdxb. wasnt possible because I was not on the same flight.
I'll make a mental note of this and inquire at BOM next week.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:43 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I think he tried to upgrade his wife when he dropped her at the airport.

Crazy rule if true.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m3red
I think he tried to upgrade his wife when he dropped her at the airport.

Crazy rule if true.
absolute rubbish. especially if you have booked a promotional fare which is only upgradeable at check-in.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:58 am

Can't it be done on-line when check in opens?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 9:26 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
Can't it be done on-line when check in opens?
AFAIK you can upgrade someone else on a saver Y ticket once the online checkin opens . This window is valid till 6 hours before the flight.(telephone /online)

In the last 6 hours before the flight you have 2 options

1.Upgrade at the check in desk at the airport
2. On board upgrade.

Obviously the member whose miles are being used has to be travelling on the same flight for option 2. I have never tried option 1 for someone else. The rules dont seem to be clear on this one.

Last edited by ukdoctor; Sep 12, 2014 at 1:25 pm
Old Sep 12, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Plat, Etihad Gold, Aerosvit Gold, Virgin Silver, AA lifetime Gold, Sirius Gold
"My" circumstances were that my wife (gold) was seeing off her sister at DXB and tried to use miles to upgrade her from a saver Y fare at check in desk and was denied as she was not on the same flight. As stated earlier if upgrade inventory is available when the 24 hour OLCI window has opened then you can do it through Manage My Booking by having the member log in and access the booking for relative/friend before OLCI is performed and it works fine. That is what we did next time round.

Last edited by mrtdxb; Sep 12, 2014 at 8:33 pm Reason: typo fixed
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Alright, that is a good idea - for the next time. However, what do the people who have bought a fare which is only upgradable at check-in (and I mean check-in at the airport, as they are fares out there which are not eligible for OLCI upgrade).
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Alright, that is a good idea - for the next time. However, what do the people who have bought a fare which is only upgradable at check-in (and I mean check-in at the airport, as they are fares out there which are not eligible for OLCI upgrade).
Are you sure about this statement. I thought that even the most restricted skywards saver (which is upgradable) could be upgraded with miles at T-24 hrs and onwards (if seats are available) when the online check in opens?.( Obviously there is the odd saver which cannot be upgraded at all .)
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Are you sure about this statement. I thought that even the most restricted skywards saver (which is upgradable) could be upgraded with miles at T-24 hrs and onwards (if seats are available) when the online check in opens?.( Obviously there is the odd saver which cannot be upgraded at all .)
yes I am sure. actually i do not know a saver fare which is not upgradable at all.. however there are certain promotional fares which are only upgradable at check-in (desk not online)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.