Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Y Emergency row seat on 2nd flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador

I have asked before at CPH if they can move me to an emergency row seat on the 2nd flight, from DXB-XXX. At CPH they won't do it but tell me that I have to wait until I get to DXB... citing that Emirates wants to check at the start of ech flight that you are capable to help in an emergency. I get it and of course respect that.

But last week in MAA, they did it no problems at all.

Is there a rule that they cannot do it until you are the the airport for the start of the 2nd flight or are they just being over-cautious at CPH?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
It depends totally on the agent handling you - they'll need to call up DXB to make that allocation and most people don't want to do that, since they are contract staff and may not either have the authority do so or may feel scared at falling out of line. At BOM, they flatly refuse you as well, so no surprises there...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, IHG Spire Elite Royal Ambassador
I will try to get them to call DXB and see what happens...

Even more annoying is that sometimes, these seats on the first flight are already gone before check-in. Happened several times to me. I ask how this can be when I was there when check-in opened and was the first in line. They tell me that if you have someone inside Emirates, that they can book these "unbookable" seats for you. How can this be?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
If the flight is a connecting flight (e.g. XXX-DXB-YYY), someone may have already checked in before you for the onward journey DXB-YYY if their initial flight was earlier than yours.

In any case, I find the exit row allocation for Emirates a real pain. It would (should?) be a nice perk for elite status passengers traveling in Y to be able to pre-book them. The whole "capable to help" issue is completely manageable.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
If the flight is a connecting flight (e.g. XXX-DXB-YYY), someone may have already checked in before you for the onward journey DXB-YYY if their initial flight was earlier than yours.

In any case, I find the exit row allocation for Emirates a real pain. It would (should?) be a nice perk for elite status passengers traveling in Y to be able to pre-book them. The whole "capable to help" issue is completely manageable.
Yes, the second flight can already have someone checked in.... but most likely not already in DXB as this would be 9hrs before the flight. Which would mean that they probably had already had the seat pre-allocated... back to square one...

Agreed... it would be a good perk for Plat! I have emailed customer service to see what they say.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 11:58 pm

My flight 2 weeks ago, most of the exit row seats showed occupied at 5 days out which I thought was odd.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:11 am
Original Poster

And they say that miracles don't work anymore... just got an email confirming 24A tomorrow on the 777-300. Thanks EK!
Old Sep 12, 2014, 2:34 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by Ozziebob
And they say that miracles don't work anymore... just got an email confirming 24A tomorrow on the 777-300. Thanks EK!
good news. Which customer service address did you email?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
good news. Which customer service address did you email?
There was nothing that really suited, so I ended up clicking on the complaint internet form, and I got an email from the flight controller at the airport of my first flight. Nice guy who said that I should just email at least a week before each flight from there and he could fix it. great service!

I will try to find the name of the controller in BNE for the return route.

I think that the trick is to ask at the airport who the controller is, see if you can get an email, then use it from then on.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Just to add some more information: I usually go to DXB and go straight to the emirates customer service desk (not transfer desk). There is one near the costa coffee on the train level in Concourse A and another near gate A20. Depending on how friendly the agent is they will check for the seats and call to have them released. If the agent is not that friendly, they say to ask at the gate which may not be manned till boarding so I try my luck at the other desk. Has worked out quite well for me in the past including my most recent trip to flight to IAH on 25/8/14.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by kq747
Just to add some more information: I usually go to DXB and go straight to the emirates customer service desk (not transfer desk).
Any reason you don't go to the transit/transfer desk? I did it there recently so just curious.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by ft101
Any reason you don't go to the transit/transfer desk? I did it there recently so just curious.
Usually because there is often a line at the transfer desks and I feel like they are more overworked/not as willing to deal with small issues (of course this may vary) and I guess at this point it has just become a habit.
But I'm sure the transfer desk is perfectly capable as well. It's just my opinion that you would get a more relaxed ground staff member who is willing to be on hold ten minutes just to have your seat request released to them e.g. on my last trip the agent was on hold for quite some time to have the seat released but was very determined to get me my exit row

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.