Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

15 hour layover in Dubai, what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold

Hi all - I'm travelling economy class from LAX - DAR in August with a connecting flight in Dubai. The problem is that my flight arrives in Dubai on Sunday and my connecting flight to Dar Es Salaam doesn't leave until 10.50am Monday.

Is there a hotel within the transit area in Dubai? If not, any suggestions as to how to pass fifteen hours at the airport?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold | SK Gold | A3 Gold
Is this the shortest possible connection? If so, EK will provide you with a hotel room. There is also, otherwise, a transit hotel within the airport.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by ung1
Is this the shortest possible connection? If so, EK will provide you with a hotel room.
Depends on fare class. They have tightened up the fare classes eligible for STPC recently and these vary by market.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: CX MPC GR, EK Skywards BL, QR Privelege Club SL
If you arrive at say around 7pm, you can probably have a quick stroll of Dubai and enjoy the great night views! It's not as hot as day, and there's still quite a lot to see.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Yes, as far as I can tell this is the shortest connection. I'm travelling in economy, have no status with them as this will be my first flight with Emirates (I did sign up for their skyways program) Thanks for the info.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Vaze
Yes, as far as I can tell this is the shortest connection. I'm travelling in economy, have no status with them as this will be my first flight with Emirates (I did sign up for their skyways program) Thanks for the info.
If you're booked in U, B, N, M, E, W, R or Y class you will be STPC eligible.

You will get a complimentary voucher for the Millenium Airport Hotel + dinner + breakfast + visa if you need it.

Call them in advance and confirm your eligibility, then collect the voucher at checkin.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Excellent, thanks for the info. ^
Old Jul 30, 2011, 9:53 pm

B747-437B answered the most important part of your question. However just a reminder, August is Ramadan, F&B options may be limited during daylight hours . The Millenniums' Mexican restaurant is open for lunch IIRC. As its a weekday, head down to Bastikiya and check out the Dubai Museum if you feel like it, or the usual mall crap. If the B part of F&B is more important, nothing beats the airport, the only place in DXB where you can get a drink 24/7/365
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

I called to find out about he hotel and was told that my flights were not considered a stop over but "in transit" so I didn't qualify for the hotel nor could I get a visa on arrival in order to leave the airport (even though I'm travelling on an American passport)

Seemed like a big hassle so just ended up booking a room at the Dubai International hotel which seemed the simplest thing to do.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:27 pm

I called to find out about he hotel and was told that my flights were not considered a stop over but "in transit" so I didn't qualify for the hotel nor could I get a visa on arrival in order to leave the airport (even though I'm travelling on an American passport)

Seemed like a big hassle so just ended up booking a room at the Dubai International hotel which seemed the simplest thing to do.
If you are American, you can walk out of the airport http://www.emirates.com/us/english/p...uirements.aspx
Just figure out where you want to go

For anyone too bored to fill in the form above
Code:
Destination - DAR

Passport
Passport required.

Document Validity:
Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid for at least 6 months on arrival.

Minors:
Minors (passengers up to the age of 16 years) travelling alone require:
- their own passports, if being nationals of Kenya;
- their own passport or passport replacing document issued by their Government, if being a national of any other country.

Warning:
Visitors holding damaged passports and/or passport replacing documents will be refused entry.

Visa
Visa required.

Visa Issuance:
Nationals of USA can obtain a visa on arrival for a stay of max. 3 months, provided passport contains at least one blank page for visa endorsement. Fee: USD 50.- (also payable in EUR or GBP).

Additional Information:
Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least USD 500.-.) and documents required for their next destination.

Minors:
If minor is travelling on a passport of a parent who need a visa, it should be indicated that the visa is also applicable to the minor.

Warning:
Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

Last edited by spinrite; Aug 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:37 pm

The transit hotel is for transit pax, not pax on a stopover. Do you know what fare bucket your ticket is in (or otherwise tell us the fare and route and we can tell you what class it is). If it is an eligible class you should get the hotel.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:44 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager

What is the criterion that causes it to be 'in transit' vis a vis stopover.

According to the website:
"As a special courtesy to our passengers, in certain cases where an itinerary calls for a long stopover in Dubai, Emirates will cover accommodation, meals and ground transportation costs.

This service is offered to passengers holding tickets in specific ticket categories:
Economy Class passengers
  • If the booking class for the entire outbound or inbound leg of their journey is U, B, N, M, E, W, R or Y.
  • And if upon arrival in Dubai, the connection time until the first available flight is more than 8 hours and less than 24 hours.
"

OP seems to have satisfied both criteria?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ung1
The transit hotel is for transit pax, not pax on a stopover. Do you know what fare bucket your ticket is in (or otherwise tell us the fare and route and we can tell you what class it is). If it is an eligible class you should get the hotel.
Don't know the fare bucket but the ticket was $2,186.50 (with tax) and the routing is LAX-DXB-DAR-DXB-LAX leaving on Aug 14th and returning on Aug 21st.

I'm also now curious to see why this didn't qualify for the visa/hotel as everyone seems to think it should :-(
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by lsed
What is the criterion that causes it to be 'in transit' vis a vis stopover.

OP seems to have satisfied both criteria?
Anything under 24 hours is transit, over 24 hours is a stopover. From the point of pricing, for example, you could do a day trip in Dubai on a long transit and not pay extra on a fare that only allowed paid stopovers.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:46 pm

Don't know the fare bucket but the ticket was $2,186.50 (with tax) and the routing is LAX-DXB-DAR-DXB-LAX leaving on Aug 14th and returning on Aug 21st.

I'm also now curious to see why this didn't qualify for the visa/hotel as everyone seems to think it should :-(
What you have is an M fare ($2,036 + tax) which is a fare eligible for STPC. You need to call them and sort this out - perhaps the agent you spoke to the first time was clueless.

EDIT: Actually, looking at EK.com it is $2,124 + tax so it could be a combination fare. But that would put at least one of the directions in a flex fare bucket while it shows Saver miles, but either way you're entitled to the hotel.

Last edited by ung1; Aug 1, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.