Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

ResMed CPAPs VPAPS certified for use on aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ResMed CPAPs VPAPS certified for use on aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:42 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, CX GO, Hilton Honors Diamond
Delta?

Any one know if DL allows on TPAC flights on their 777 in Business?
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by craig44485
Before the FAA approved stamp that was the reason, all devices for use in flight must be FAA compliant.

I am not due to CPAP upgrade until Feb 2012, I will be getting the Resmed for sure.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craig44485
I have used one on a DL transpac 777 in economy. I am sure you could use one in Business.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Before the FAA approved stamp that was the reason, all devices for use in flight must be FAA compliant.

I am not due to CPAP upgrade until Feb 2012, I will be getting the Resmed for sure.
I lucked out. I am on my thrid CPAP since 2008. I had a sleep study about a year after I started the therapy. My pressure had changed enough that I needed a new CPAP, actually a VPAP. The unit I have now was recently released than but my Home equipment provider did not dispense that one. A few months ago, my VPAP started acting up. IN the mean time the provider had started stocking the S9 series VPAP.

The S9 has many cool features. The hose has sensors that sense ambient temperature and humidity and heat the hose accordingly to prevent rain out.
The data card it uses is the regular SD card where as the S8 used proprietary interface.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, no more rain out! ^^^

Rainout is always a problem in tropical countries with high humidity or Indoor heated air in the winter.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Ah, no more rain out! ^^^

Rainout is always a problem in tropical countries with high humidity or Indoor heated air in the winter.
In tropical countries I can get by without a humidifier if I don't use A/C in the room. A lot less wight to haul without the humidifier.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
In tropical countries I can get by without a humidifier if I don't use A/C in the room. A lot less wight to haul without the humidifier.
I agree with you.

However I do not have a choice in my accommodations and some places there is no in room control of the A/C. Since the CPAP is exempted from carryon limit as a personal needed medical device I just bring the humidifying unit around.
I would not do that in the early days as the heated humidified (14yrs ago) was quite a large unit.

I am awaiting my Resmed 9 (Feb2012) with great anticipation due to your recommendations.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I agree with you.

However I do not have a choice in my accommodations and some places there is no in room control of the A/C. Since the CPAP is exempted from carryon limit as a personal needed medical device I just bring the humidifying unit around.
I would not do that in the early days as the heated humidified (14yrs ago) was quite a large unit.

I am awaiting my Resmed 9 (Feb2012) with great anticipation due to your recommendations.
I know you will enjoy it. It's a great unit. Unlike the S8 series which had a proprietary data card and interface, S9 has an SD card. If you have the software, you can download the data and analyse it yourself.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:42 pm
Community Director Emerita

My husband was not allowed to use his CPAP on CX. He has a small machine, but Cathay disallows the use of any CPAP. He was given documentation by the FA and was also met by a CX employee in HKG with more documentation.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
My husband was not allowed to use his CPAP on CX. He has a small machine, but Cathay disallows the use of any CPAP. He was given documentation by the FA and was also met by a CX employee in HKG with more documentation.
Sorry to hear this. I heard they instituted a 'new policy' -- can you elaborate? Did he get pre-clearance? Was he in biz or first class? Did he need their power or have his own battery.

I've used cpap on CX twice but that was back in late 2010 and early 2011 - on their JFK/HK routes in business class and all was fine.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by dtsm
I heard they instituted a 'new policy' -- can you elaborate? Did he get pre-clearance? Was he in biz or first class? Did he need their power or have his own battery.

I've used cpap on CX twice but that was back in late 2010 and early 2011 - on their JFK/HK routes in business class and all was fine.
I believe that the issue was he didn't have battery packs and wanted to plug into the seat power. He was given a sheet from their operations manual, 1-11-43, dated 11 Jun 12. We were flying in F.

No medical electronic devices shall be allowed to be plugged into any onboard power outlets, including the inseat power outlets, for operating and recharging the device. Passenger is required to bring the batteries onboard for the use of such devices because the outlets are not certified or designed for such use.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:52 pm

Back from 3 weeks in Asia. UA flights EWR/Tokyo in biz class had power for cpap. Even had nice chat with FA re his Aeiomed unit with humidifier and battery pak. Apparently their bunks configured without power outlets, requiring his battery pak....
Old Aug 27, 2013, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Continuous Positive Airways Pressure (CPAP) devices: do NOT need a medical clearance. Arrangements can be made by downloading and completing the CPAP Clearance form and faxing to +61 (2) 9691 0666. This form also lists the current CPAP devices authorised for use on Qantas aircraft.

Doesn't help me as mine isn't a CPAP, but thought it would be helpful to others.
I realize this is an old thread and an old post, but this is great information! Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA at IAD refusd to allow me to carry on my reSmed cpap. (not to use, carry on) in a separate bag. tsa said i had to use a special container to carry the thing on. we were in Biz class on klm, so space was not a problem.

i explained that my cap had a couple hundred thousand miles on it, and this was the first i have ever heard of such a rule. after lots of round an round(had 2 hrs to make flight) and demands by me for a supervisor of cPaps to come meet me, and bring a Cpap rule book, i was allowed to board.

is there any such rule? this is a very std resMed machine.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by slawecki
TSA at IAD refusd to allow me to carry on my reSmed cpap. (not to use, carry on) in a separate bag. tsa said i had to use a special container to carry the thing on. we were in Biz class on klm, so space was not a problem.

i explained that my cap had a couple hundred thousand miles on it, and this was the first i have ever heard of such a rule. after lots of round an round(had 2 hrs to make flight) and demands by me for a supervisor of cPaps to come meet me, and bring a Cpap rule book, i was allowed to board.

is there any such rule? this is a very std resMed machine.
I have heard that it is only exempt from baggage allowances as medical devices if it is the only thing stored (with accessories) in the bag. Never that it had to be a 'special container'. But that's the TSA for you, just making it up as they go along.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.