Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Disability Travel
Reload this Page >

ResMed CPAPs VPAPS certified for use on aircraft

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ResMed CPAPs VPAPS certified for use on aircraft

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up ResMed CPAPs VPAPS certified for use on aircraft

I decided to start a new thread as it provides the latest important information and I did not want the information to be lost in the other thread on CPAPs where we have been discussing lots of other issues related to CPAP too.

In searching around at the Resmed site, I found a compliance letter issued by Resmed stating which Resmed respiratory assistance devices have been tested to comply with RTCA/DO-160F, section21, Category M.

Here is the link
Resmed compliance letter
Old Apr 12, 2010, 2:07 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Great idea for a thread on this subject, however I have found in my travel research that airlines have their own list of approved xPAP machines and what is okay for one airline, may not be acceptable on another, for instance my Respironics Synchrony ST can be used on UA, but not on Air New Zealand. They do allow the following currently:

Make and model currently Air New Zealand approved are

Resmed/Sullivan APD 2, 2e, 2s Resmed/Sullivan S6 Elite and Liteweight
Resmed/Sullivan III and IIId Resmed/Sullivan V.V Plus and V Elite
Resmed/ Sullivan Autoset T Resmed S8 Autoset Spirit, S8 Autoset Vantage,
S8 Elite, S8 AutoScore, S8 Classic,
S8 Escape (S8 Lightweight)
ResMed S7 AutoSet Spirit, AutoSet Spirit, S7 Lightweight Resmed VPAP III, VPAP III ST
Fisher and Paykel HC230 series (HC231, HC232, HC233, HC234, HC235, HC236, HC237, HC238, HC238) Fisher and Paykel HC600 series (HC602, HC604, HC608)

I was doing research on *A partners for a possible trip.

LH response was:

Sleep apnea machines or CPAP machines are permitted on board with your carry-on luggage.. Please note use of the machine on board the aircraft is prohibited and there is no available power source for the machine to operate. .

When I mentioned that I would take this up with LH executives on the 4/23 *A Mega Do launch party on 4/23 they further replied:

"Within the Economy class cabin there is restricted power source and within Business class power source is available and can be cleared for medical equipment."

I have a follow up number and will do so this week
Old Apr 12, 2010, 5:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pat89339
Great idea for a thread on this subject, however I have found in my travel research that airlines have their own list of approved xPAP machines and what is okay for one airline, may not be acceptable on another, for instance my Respironics Synchrony ST can be used on UA, but not on Air New Zealand. They do allow the following currently:

Make and model currently Air New Zealand approved are

Resmed/Sullivan APD 2, 2e, 2s Resmed/Sullivan S6 Elite and Liteweight
Resmed/Sullivan III and IIId Resmed/Sullivan V.V Plus and V Elite
Resmed/ Sullivan Autoset T Resmed S8 Autoset Spirit, S8 Autoset Vantage,
S8 Elite, S8 AutoScore, S8 Classic,
S8 Escape (S8 Lightweight)
ResMed S7 AutoSet Spirit, AutoSet Spirit, S7 Lightweight Resmed VPAP III, VPAP III ST
Fisher and Paykel HC230 series (HC231, HC232, HC233, HC234, HC235, HC236, HC237, HC238, HC238) Fisher and Paykel HC600 series (HC602, HC604, HC608)

I was doing research on *A partners for a possible trip.

LH response was:

Sleep apnea machines or CPAP machines are permitted on board with your carry-on luggage.. Please note use of the machine on board the aircraft is prohibited and there is no available power source for the machine to operate. .

When I mentioned that I would take this up with LH executives on the 4/23 *A Mega Do launch party on 4/23 they further replied:

"Within the Economy class cabin there is restricted power source and within Business class power source is available and can be cleared for medical equipment."

I have a follow up number and will do so this week
Thanks for providing this list.
I agree. This thread would be dedicated to CPAP devices approved for use on aircraft. Maybe mods can make it a sticky.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:51 pm

I did follow up with the LH Medical Desk (1-516-296-9580).

The CSR told me that they do allow the use of "most" machines on board, but would not give me a specific list of equipment. There are certain limitations however.

There are no power outlets in Y and you need to have your own battery power to operate it.

In C&F you can plug into the in-seat power, but if you have a humidifier on your machine you must disconnect it as the power drain is too much for the in-seat power to handle both.

As with most other airlines, they require 48 hour notice so their safety department can approve the equipment you are using.

The CSR also asked me to forward the email where I was told that I could not use the equipment on board. She wanted to follow up with the sender of that email. She expressed frustration that they have the information available to them, yet this happens frequently.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Maybe mods can make it a sticky.
Done!
Old May 3, 2010, 10:09 pm

JAL and ResMed

S8 AutoElite II can be used on JAL - in specific the JAL 5 JFK to Narita flight on the 777 business class section
Old May 12, 2010, 12:29 pm

QF approved CPAP machines

Continuous Positive Airways Pressure (CPAP) devices: do NOT need a medical clearance. Arrangements can be made by downloading and completing the CPAP Clearance form and faxing to +61 (2) 9691 0666. This form also lists the current CPAP devices authorised for use on Qantas aircraft.

Doesn't help me as mine isn't a CPAP, but thought it would be helpful to others.
Old May 14, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC
BA's very welcome policy on CPAP machines:

CPAP machine

*Medical clearance is not required for the carriage or use of CPAP machines (used in the treatment of sleep apnoea) as fitness to travel will not be in doubt.
*CPAP machines can be plugged into a laptop power-point, where available, with a suitable adaptor.
*Maximum power output from the laptop points is 75 Watts and, if your equipment draws more than this, the outlet will be automatically deactivated.
*We cannot guarantee that any of the laptop points will be serviceable. If you intend to use one in flight, we recommend that you use a dry-cell battery-operated device.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...o/public/en_gb

Power points are only available in Word Traveller Plus, Club and First, so for World Traveller you will need a battery. Most of their power points no longer need an adapter.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 6:20 am

Cpap on Eva Air

Flying out on Eva Air this week, their website appears to require battery pak for cpap, even though biz class has power source to plug computer [and my ResMed]. Anyone with experience on their EWR to Taipei flights?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

On Dec 13th, on AMS-HKG flight KL 889, KLM did not allow me to use CPAP in business class. The pilot did try to ascertain airline's rules. The airline declined citing fire hazard. I had shown the travel letter from the manufacturer that the unit has been tested for use on aircraft, and the FAA letter.
The funny thing is that I was upfgraded to Business Class because of my status, with a promise that once I got on board, the pilot will try to find out if I could use it on board. I was rerouted to KLM because of misconnection with Qatar Airways in London, Heathrow. I was tickted in coach. I asked at the gate if they had power in economy class for my CPAP. The GA said "You have to make such request in advance" I told her I was put on KLM just that day because of a misconnection. She upgraded me. It was nice, but it would be nicer if I could have used my CPAP.

Last edited by Yaatri; Dec 18, 2010 at 12:20 am
Old Mar 18, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Anyone used CPAP onboard Virgin Atlantic lately?

Has anyone used their CPAP on board a Virgin Atlantic flight lately?

Steve
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:51 pm

An update on Air New Zealand's approved CPAP list...

Current Air New Zealand Approved CPAP Machines
Resmed / Sullivan APD 2, 2e &2s
Resmed / Sullivan S6 Elite & Liteweight
Resmed / Sullivan III & IIId
Resmed / Sullivan V, V Plus & V Elite
Resmed / Sullivan Autoset T
Resmed VPAP III & VPAP III ST
ResMed S7 AutoSet Spirit, AutoSet Spirit, S7 Lightweight, S7Elite
ResMed S8 AutoSet Spirit, S8 Autoset Vantage, S8 Elite, S8 AutoScore,S8 AutoScore II ,S8 Classic, S8 Escape (S8 Lightweight)
ResMed S9 Autoset, S9 Elite

Fisher and Paykel HC230 series (HC231, HC232, HC233, HC234, HC235, HC236, HC237, HC238, HC239)
Fisher and Paykel HC600 series (HC602, HC604, HC608)

Respironics Remstar Auto A -flex - permitted on battery power only

REMstar Plus C-Flex, REMstar Pro C-Flex + - permitted on battery power only

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Thanks for providing this list.
I agree. This thread would be dedicated to CPAP devices approved for use on aircraft. Maybe mods can make it a sticky.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:06 pm

Great Customer Service Air New Zealand RE: CPAP

I put a request via email yesterday to Special Services @ Air New Zealand for a flight Tuesday from LAX-LHR requesting to use my machine on board with a photo of the model/serial number of my machine.

A very polite woman called me yesterday from Air New Zealand to follow-up and asked if there were any other medical issues that they should know about and "I said no, I just snore." She said great and that my machine was approved to be used on both the LAX-LHR and return.

I then got a follow-up email from them a few minutes later:

Hi Dr.,

Further to our conversation today, as you have advised that you have no medical conditions that we need to be aware of, Medical clearance is not required for this journey and you are welcome to bring your REMstar Auto M Series battery powered CPAP on board.

Please ensure you provide enough batteries to operate the machine for the period of intended use as we are unable to offer recharging facility on board and cannot use aircraft power.

I hope you enjoy your flight with Air New Zealand,

Kind Regards,

Kylie Hansen

Originally Posted by backdoc
Current Air New Zealand Approved CPAP Machines
Resmed / Sullivan APD 2, 2e &2s
Resmed / Sullivan S6 Elite & Liteweight
Resmed / Sullivan III & IIId
Resmed / Sullivan V, V Plus & V Elite
Resmed / Sullivan Autoset T
Resmed VPAP III & VPAP III ST
ResMed S7 AutoSet Spirit, AutoSet Spirit, S7 Lightweight, S7Elite
ResMed S8 AutoSet Spirit, S8 Autoset Vantage, S8 Elite, S8 AutoScore,S8 AutoScore II ,S8 Classic, S8 Escape (S8 Lightweight)
ResMed S9 Autoset, S9 Elite

Fisher and Paykel HC230 series (HC231, HC232, HC233, HC234, HC235, HC236, HC237, HC238, HC239)
Fisher and Paykel HC600 series (HC602, HC604, HC608)

Respironics Remstar Auto A -flex - permitted on battery power only

REMstar Plus C-Flex, REMstar Pro C-Flex + - permitted on battery power only
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My new CPAP has an FAA compliance label.

recently, I got a new CPAP- Resmed S9 VPAP auto. It is embossed on the bottom plate with
RTCA/DO-160F Section 21 Category M compliant and FAA compliant.

This should resolve any confusion about the ambiguous wording in the FAA letter.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 4:18 pm

Nice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.