Best & worst Bourbon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
I'll have to check it out next time I'm in DC. Got lucky today was in Hillsborough NC and decided just to give the ABC store there a try. They had two Rittenhouse left so I grabbed them.
Would you say the Hillsborough ABCs have better selections than the Durham ones? I wouldn't mind the short drive for a good cause.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:23 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
Guy running the store said he's been hearing that VA is getting most of the harder to find / good stuff right now (including Weller 107 which they had a place for on the shelf but said they've been out for months).
I think he has us confused with some other state.

I'd love for VA to have gotten Weller 107.

Rittenhouse Rye is fairly common here, at least. Despite the removal of an age statement, it's a great value.

I picked up one I hadn't seen in a long while in VA yesterday: Old Forester Signature 100. Not a bad value, but it's a bit harsh compared to the other Old Foresters I've tried, including their BiB (great stuff, although pricey) and 1870 Craft (pretty good). I'll give it another try today or tomorrow to see if the quick taste I gave it yesterday was mistaken.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
Would you say the Hillsborough ABCs have better selections than the Durham ones? I wouldn't mind the short drive for a good cause.
This was my first time visiting any Hillsborough / Orange County ABC (I was at the one off US70). It was definitely smaller than both Durham ABC stores but because it's a bit of a drive from both Durham and Chapel Hill I think they likely have less traffic to the store so any allocation they get of the good stuff lasts longer.

That being said I perused the store after I found the Rittenhouse to see if there were any more gems and I didn't immediately see anything else pop out (probably a good thing for my wallet).

Originally Posted by exerda
I think he has us confused with some other state.

I'd love for VA to have gotten Weller 107.
Ahh that's a bummer to hear. I was contemplating driving up to Danville and stopping at the first ABC store over the state line to see if they had any - I picked up a bottle from D&M in SF in October and I've been really enjoying it recently. Should've bought two bottles at D&M when I had the chance instead of just the 1.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 3:54 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Recently found some Bookers (in Muscat of all places) and grabbed it. Pricey at ~$70 but so unusual for the area that I grabbed it. Mostly been a rum drinker growing up in Australia but with the poor selection here in the ME have got a bit more adventurous and started trying a few bourbons. Worked my way up from JD

Really enjoying it, which I didn't expect given the 130+ proof level of it. Otherwise slim picking over here for anything other than JD & Beam, although FT's favourite Woodford Reserve is becoming reasonably easy to find. Also a very nice drop and a improvement on JD.

Great thread - I wouldn't have known what to try without all the comments on here ^
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Reds2011
Really enjoying it, which I didn't expect given the 130+ proof level of it. Otherwise slim picking over here for anything other than JD & Beam, although FT's favourite Woodford Reserve is becoming reasonably easy to find. Also a very nice drop and a improvement on JD.
So are you taking it neat, on the rocks, with some water...? I actually like Booker's with just a bit of water (a few drops) or a small ice cube to cut it just a bit; neat, it's a bit oily in mouth-feel to me. That said, I just had some neat night-before-last. In terms of stuff in that proof range, I like Stagg Jr. a bit better, but it also costs about $20 more in VA than does Booker and isn't as regular a product in our stores.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
So are you taking it neat, on the rocks, with some water...? I actually like Booker's with just a bit of water (a few drops) or a small ice cube to cut it just a bit; neat, it's a bit oily in mouth-feel to me
Don't forget that the quality of water counts for a lot, even if you freeze them into ice cubes. Unless you are in a place has excellent tap water, it's best to pour Evian or something similar into your ice cube tray. When I was younger I enjoyed Bookers straight, but nowadays I definitely place a couple cubes into the glass.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
LEX Horse and Bourbon DO dates set for April 8-10. Link to the thread in my signature.

Y'all come!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
LEX Horse and Bourbon DO dates set for April 8-10. Link to the thread in my signature.

Y'all come!
Would LOVE to but I'm out this year.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
A first for me as someone who drinks often from hotel mini-bars. Normally you are lucky if you find JD in your mini-bar, but at the IC Boston they have Bulleit minis!

Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by stimpy
A first for me as someone who drinks often from hotel mini-bars. Normally you are lucky if you find JD in your mini-bar, but at the IC Boston they have Bulleit minis!

That reminds me, I saw Bulleit 10 in the store the other day. Might have to try that too.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
So are you taking it neat, on the rocks, with some water...? I actually like Booker's with just a bit of water (a few drops) or a small ice cube to cut it just a bit; neat, it's a bit oily in mouth-feel to me. That said, I just had some neat night-before-last. In terms of stuff in that proof range, I like Stagg Jr. a bit better, but it also costs about $20 more in VA than does Booker and isn't as regular a product in our stores.
I will admit to putting a few drops of water in it most times.

I will have to watch for anything else decent here. We are no chance of getting Stagg. Will be going through the same ariport next week, they had 1 bottle left which I think I will buy. Probably will never see it again in the middle east.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:20 pm

I picked up a Breaker Port Finish yesterday. Their straight bourbon is quite decent for a craft distillery, and is starting to become more widely available.

I have to say, of the port finished bourbons I've tried (Angel's Envy, 1792, a few others), this is the best. It's not mind-blowingly sweet, but definitely has a ton of port flavor to its nose and finish.

My wife even liked it when offered a sniff (usually, she says, "Smells like Spring Break! Yuck!" to any and all bourbons). She did not repeat the mistake she did with a Filibuster triple cask finish I offered her a while back, though, and actually sip it; having not built up a taste for straight liquor, she nearly exploded at the high proof Filibuster. The Breaker port finish is around 90 proof, IIRC, still more than she'd be able to drink.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got to try a sip of Pappy Van Winkle 23 last night. It tasted very strongly of the barrel wood: a bomb of vanilla on the palate and very smooth. The nose was overpoweringly caramel.

It was very nice, but tasted so much like wood that I'm not sure I could do a whole shot of it...and certainly not at the $75 or $100 or whatever they were charging.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 7:24 pm

I haven't had it myself, but have read many opinions that the 20yr pappy hits the sweet spot on age, with the 23 taking on too much barrel character.

Opened up a bottle of William larue weller this weekend - it's fantastic. Even got my wife to take a sip and admit she kind of liked it.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Said goodbye to an old friend last night.
Attached Images   

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.