Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & worst Bourbon?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
Yeah agreed - I just never got around to trying it so figured it was a good chance. Needless to say it will be my last - it's okay though I've got a nice GlenDronach 21 Parliament to sip on here in Scotland tonight so that'll make up for it

Agreed on the Rittenhouse - the stock comes and goes from the NC ABC stores so last time it was in I stocked up and have about 2.25 bottles left. It's my go to for Rye sipping and Rye drinks (adds a nice bit of heat to the cocktail).
Sometimes I don't know how east coast whiskey drinkers get by in states with ABC boards. Out here I've never had trouble finding Rittenhouse, Old Overholt, Michters or most of the more common ryes. The big stores in Denver/Boulder tend to have tons of that stuff in stock.

And of course in Colorado we have Stranahans.

Originally Posted by Duke787
It's my go to for Rye sipping and Rye drinks (adds a nice bit of heat to the cocktail).
Also, a Rittenhouse Manhattan made with Carpano Antica and a rinse of Gran Torres orange liqueur is a magical thing.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 2, 2016 at 5:57 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Sometimes I don't know how east coast whiskey drinkers get by in states with ABC boards.
I don't have an ABC board (New York) but I still purchase 90% of my bottles online from out of state. Even with shipping (but no tax) it's like getting 3 bottles for the price of 2.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club

And of course in Colorado we have Stranahans.
We are able to get almost anything here in FL. I was given a bottle of Stranahan's for father's day. I have not tried it yet, with all the open bottles around the house.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Also, a Rittenhouse Manhattan made with Carpano Antica and a rinse of Gran Torres orange liqueur is a magical thing.
Nice sounds great... I'm a big fan of Sazerac rye, Carpoano antica and luxardo cherries but I'll have to grab some Gran Torres and try....

FDW
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Nice sounds great... I'm a big fan of Sazerac rye, Carpoano antica and luxardo cherries but I'll have to grab some Gran Torres and try....

FDW
I'm a fan of 12 Bottle Bar's recipe. 2 oz Rittenhouse, 1 oz Carpano Antica, dash of Angostura and a dash of orange bitters. Rinse the glass with Gran Torres and garnish with a twist of orange.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Definitely sounds interesting ^
Old Jul 1, 2016, 4:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
That does sound pretty crooked. Don't Virginians know you can jump in a car, train or plane and buy all these items off the shelf of a grocery store in other states? Or even in D.C.?
I shop around a lot and buy when I'm in MD, but I need to find a good DC source that isn't $$$ (as several of the bigger liquor shops are).
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
That time of year - Pappy and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. Of course no chance of seeing either through the ABC channels here in North Carolina and doubt I have a prayer of getting one in the "lottery" (I'm sure it's not rigged ).

The good news is that Rittenhouse has been fairly present here in Durham over the past few months at a reasonable ~$25 so I've been able to stock up on a few bottles. Still need to follow txflyer77's advice upthread and make a Rittenhouse Manhattan.

I did get High West Rendezvous Rye a few weeks ago. Bit of a high price point here in NC (~$78) and not a big fan on the first try - honestly like the Rittenhouse better. Hoping it will grow on me the second try
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, Delta-Diamond
I found a bunch of Elijah Craig barrel proof last week in NC. Fantastic stuff.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have $100 burning a hole in my pocket and 2 bourbon fans visiting in 2 weeks. Any recommendations? I've drunk about everything in the under $60 price range. Okay, nothing under $20. Too scared.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I have $100 burning a hole in my pocket and 2 bourbon fans visiting in 2 weeks. Any recommendations?
Can I be one of the fans?

I think you know Angel's Envy, right? It's good stuff and comes in a pretty bottle.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stimpy
Can I be one of the fans?

I think you know Angel's Envy, right? It's good stuff and comes in a pretty bottle.
With $100 burning a hold in BamaVol's pocket, they could get two bottles of AE. Go find your self some Colonel E.H. Taylor single barrel and you'll have a few bucks left. Or maybe some Jefferson's Ocean Aged, always a good $75+/- bottle.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
With $100 burning a hold in BamaVol's pocket, they could get two bottles of AE. Go find your self some Colonel E.H. Taylor single barrel and you'll have a few bucks left. Or maybe some Jefferson's Ocean Aged, always a good $75+/- bottle.
I've had the first two and there's nothing wrong with them. Quite the opposite. In fact, one of the fans (BamaVol Jr #1) gave me the Colonel Taylor.

Jefferson's Ocean Aged sounds intriguing. I will go bourbon hunting across the bridge tonight.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BamaVol
I've had the first two and there's nothing wrong with them.
Nothing wrong with them at all but if you are trying to spend $100 or so on a bottle you can aim higher than AE (which I love).
Old Oct 14, 2016, 4:47 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

The problem is that there really aren't any bourbons worth spending $80-100 that one can find. The bourbons in that range are impossible to find. Four roses small batch limited edition, buffalo trace antique collection, michters 10, old forester birthday bourbon, and of course the van winkles are all in that range yet sadly not available. The stuff that's actually on the shelf in that dollar range isn't terribly great.

There's a new release of high wests mid winters night dram that might be tasty. Their Bourye is also not bad. Heaven Hills 7 yo Pikesville Rye is a solid $45 bottle. If you can find anyone that's doing a barrel proof four roses pick those are strong options and typically about $70. Also Old scout store picks from Smooth Ambler are good bet as well.

Fdw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.